News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Oh man. Bombardier is right beside a huge pulp and paper mill that has a very distinctive foul odor the blankets much of the southern part of the city. I used to drive by it every day growing up, so I got used to it, but so many visitors would be floored. Wouldn't be surprised if the streetcars still held onto a bit of a tinge of that when they first get here. Lol
fortunately they don't smell like that. All of them in the first week or so smell like a new car does.

Same with me but don't forget there are poel on here that want to see Bombardier fail and the TTC to spend money they don't have canceling the contract and putting pit tenderers to new companies and excluding Bombarded from bidding on them.

I, for one, would love to see Bombardier fail.

Fail to deliver --> pay the price.

That's capitalism.

Except in this country apparently Bombardier can always get bailed out no matter how big they screw up.

Same with me but don't forget there are poel on here that want to see Bombardier fail and the TTC to spend money they don't have canceling the contract and putting pit tenderers to new companies and excluding Bombarded from bidding on them.

A new tender would be a waste of time. I wouldn't mind several additional steeetcars and/or several million in damages.

My vote is for succeed. Wishing for someone's fail is Schadenfreude. Myself, I was taught that it's bad form to kick someone in the nuts when they're down. I'm not saying shield a company which fails to deliver from the consequences. I don't need to punish them. Their own actions are influencing the perceptions of the marketplace and they will have to live with those consequences.

I, for one, would love to see Bombardier fail.

Fail to deliver --> pay the price.

That's capitalism.

Except in this country apparently Bombardier can always get bailed out no matter how big they screw up.
Clearly you're not affected by lack of streetcars.

Lack of streetcars means lower number of buses mean lower ridership carried and more people being late to their destination. The cost is passed onto the TTC and the city's economy. It has a systems effect with everyone's life and the city's health and development.

A new tender would be a waste of time. I wouldn't mind several additional steeetcars and/or several million in damages.
Ture but canceling the contract with Bombardier would mean they would have to putout new tenders again they can' just go to another company and say we didn't like what company x is doing so we want you to start work on new vehicles for us now. I think it got posted somewhere on here that Bombardier has a agreed to six additional cars on them for compensation but I'm not sure how true it is.

Clearly you're not affected by lack of streetcars.

Lack of streetcars means lower number of buses mean lower ridership carried and more people being late to their destination. The cost is passed onto the TTC and the city's economy. It has a systems effect with everyone's life and the city's health and development.
Don't you mean lack of streetcars means more buses on the roads? I think the TTC actually has a surplus of buses right now as they are keeping some that they were going to retire to run as streetcar shuttles on 502, 503 and 511

Not true. TTC cuts service on several bus routes next week, because they don't have enough buses, because they've had to use so many to replace streetcars. Start reading the descriptions at http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Service_changes/index.jsp for service reductions.

In addition, buses carry less passengers.

img_2713c3.jpg

capacitybuslrv.jpg

What are your thoughts on the Spadina line now that it's all new streetcars?

Overall I find it's a huge improvement with double the train size, all door boarding, low floors, and very frequent service. However, it still seems like not enough capacity with the trains being extremely crowded during the work week.

For comparison purposes...

2009:
510 2009.jpg

2017:
510 2017.jpg

Actual numbers should differ.

Best to save the Service Summaries from this link, for future reference.

Attachments

• 510 2017.jpg
    510 2017.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 244
  • 510 2009.jpg
    510 2009.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 272
The Spadina line has great service frequency but the speed of that line is still way too slow. There are too many stops. I would remove mid-block stops and try to speed up the service. By doing this, we would increase the capacity of this line.

Back