News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It appears that there are all Flexities on 514 Cherry route today.

https://www.nextbus.com/googleMap/?a=ttc&r=514

This is the first time i've seen this.

So 510, 509 and 514 are all Flexities making it 3 routes in Toronto that are 100% new streetcars.
Yes, even this morning they had Flexitys on all 10 runs of the 514 making 31 of them in service on a weekday. For PM rush however, 4081 has signed on at Russell. This will might continue to happen as training cars are needed in the afternoon and collision can take one out.

Because of the sheer amount of flexities running on 504 today, they had to position a supervisor with a walkie talkie in communication with transit control on the platform at Broadview to get all the CLRVs moving to prevent the flexities being stuck on Broadview. They already had to sent 5 cars back to Leslie because the platforms couldn't cope with all the extras.
I have been warning of this for months. The loop tracks aren't long enough when the vehicle dwells in the loop and a second one is close behind. This is utterly predictable.

Does anyone have similar thoughts?

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 3.35.53 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 3.35.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 3.35.53 AM.png
    29 KB · Views: 347
Does anyone have similar thoughts?

View attachment 106693
There's a like-hate relationship with every vehicles type:

Flexity: lack of standing space between the doors. Sliding doors are slower. Sitting in front of someone is awkward trying not to make eye contact. However, loading will be more even with doors in the front and rear of the car so there isn't any dead space. Strollers can load quicker than high floor cars.
ALRVs: Nothing I really hate about them. The back usually have more room. I find it easier to get out of an ALRV than a CLRV.
CLRVs: They get so cramp and 20% of the car (the rear section) is dead space that half the people don't want to stand. If you're back there and a surge of people show up, you're stuck there fighting your way through.

There's a like-hate relationship with every vehicles type:

Flexity: lack of standing space between the doors. Sliding doors are slower. Sitting in front of someone is awkward trying not to make eye contact. However, loading will be more even with doors in the front and rear of the car so there isn't any dead space. Strollers can load quicker than high floor cars.
ALRVs: Nothing I really hate about them. The back usually have more room. I find it easier to get out of an ALRV than a CLRV.
CLRVs: They get so cramp and 20% of the car (the rear section) is dead space that half the people don't want to stand. If you're back there and a surge of people show up, you're stuck there fighting your way through.

Accessibility is something that I find >90% of people completely forget about the Flexities. It is easy, and understandable, for those of us without serious mobility limitations, especially anybody not in a wheelchair, to forget that a huge portion of the downtown transit system was inaccessible to those in wheelchairs until the flexities started rolling out...and even for those without wheelchairs, a wide range of mobility limitations or even aches and pains among much of the population, especially seniors, are substantially alleviated by the easier boarding process and having ample priority seating near every door. Easier stroller loading (and bikes!) is of course great, but accessibility is obviously a much bigger win.

Those who say the cars should be 50-70% lowfloor are asking for trouble and being a rare breed. I have been on cars where a low section has been added in the middle of an existing 2 section car and not that great. I been on most the types out there for lowfloor to the point being on the to 6 builders for trams.

I didn't like the TTC car in Berlin and still don't, but will to live with it as it meets everyone needs regardless which door they get on which is more important than me. I am still a Statler fan of the 5 section in London.

Even today, the ALRV are still a failure for TTC even with the rebuilt, yet they are going to be hanging around until 2024. Since they were supposed to be the first to go, most like will remain that way until there they are not needed anymore.

I have yet to ride any 29-54m tram that doesn't have an issue for space between the doors. The Statler was the closest, but still had issues.

You have to fight your way off any vehicle when they are at peak or crush load and why people will stand next to the door so they can get off easier. They are door stoppers.

Because of the sheer amount of flexities running on 504 today, they had to position a supervisor with a walkie talkie in communication with transit control on the platform at Broadview to get all the CLRVs moving to prevent the flexities being stuck on Broadview. They already had to sent 5 cars back to Leslie because the platforms couldn't cope with all the extras.
I wonder what it will be like once they put them onto St. Clair, currently at St. Clair west they have tree stop in the station one to offload and then pull up either to an eastbound satopp or westbound stop. I'd assume they will go down to just one stop there. St Claire has two stops one for unload and one for loading. I'm not sure how much space they would have for a flex to stay in either sation for long.

I wonder what it will be like once they put them onto St. Clair, currently at St. Clair west they have tree stop in the station one to offload and then pull up either to an eastbound satopp or westbound stop. I'd assume they will go down to just one stop there. St Claire has two stops one for unload and one for loading. I'm not sure how much space they would have for a flex to stay in either sation for long.

As is typical at the TTC, when the St Clair route was being re-built they knew the new streetcars would be longer but did not think to make changes to to St Clair West loop to optimise operations.

At St Clair Station the unloading platform looks long enough for a Flexity, and of course the loading platform could likely take two, but there at least they could have added a storage or bypass track to have a place at least stash a streetcar, there are none west of St Clair West at all.

But some of the other stations are already worse off, with no room left to expand.

As is typical at the TTC, when the St Clair route was being re-built they knew the new streetcars would be longer but did not think to make changes to to St Clair West loop to optimise operations.

At St Clair Station the unloading platform looks long enough for a Flexity, and of course the loading platform could likely take two, but there at least they could have added a storage or bypass track to have a place at least stash a streetcar, there are none west of St Clair West at all.

But some of the other stations are already worse off, with no room left to expand.
I wonder if they didn't make any changes because there weren't any they actually could make to Saint Clair west. There is a small passing track but I don't really think that they could use it for boarding a flex in well one is at the platform, they could use it to loop one around though but they would probably need someone to direct passengers to board at the exit platform. Who knows maybe they will make one for heading westbound and the other for heading eastbound.

I wonder if they didn't make any changes because there weren't any they actually could make to Saint Clair west. There is a small passing track but I don't really think that they could use it for boarding a flex in well one is at the platform, they could use it to loop one around though but they would probably need someone to direct passengers to board at the exit platform. Who knows maybe they will make one for heading westbound and the other for heading eastbound.

What I think they should have done at St Clair West was to make the unloading platform into an unloading and loading platform for one direction and add in a bypass track around it so the current loading platform could serve the same purpose for the other direction with out interfering much with each other. Such a setup would not have required taking over any of the bus bays and could easily have been done when it was rebuilt, but like I said they can't seem to bother thinking of these things.

To do St Clair West Station, you need to cut in a switch as you turn into the loop and another off the bypass to connect to the current one at the north end. This will require closing the station for a week or so to make the changes. It will take time to get one switch as it will be a curve one. You also need a switch from the current track to get to the bypass track.

It will also become an operation problem doing this since you can have 2 or 3 cars at the same time for one direction that will block the other direction car getting in/out of any of the platform tracks.

Not that easy to do to the point it DOA.

To do St Clair West Station, you need to cut in a switch as you turn into the loop and another off the bypass to connect to the current one at the north end. This will require closing the station for a week or so to make the changes. It will take time to get one switch as it will be a curve one. You also need a switch from the current track to get to the bypass track.

It will also become an operation problem doing this since you can have 2 or 3 cars at the same time for one direction that will block the other direction car getting in/out of any of the platform tracks.

Not that easy to do to the point it DOA.
Good points although once it's all flexes they will be able to reduce the number of cars needed on the line. The only problems that could arise would be at the entrances as there are some bus routes that use them as well. I wonder if 512 could be come the first route to use the Pantographs it would be the perfect place to do it as they could make a brief sto in front of hillcrest to confirm that the pole or pan is up before proceeding in or out of service and all of the turn offs on it are ready for it as other than Bathurst it has no connection to anywhere else on the network.

Good points although once it's all flexes they will be able to reduce the number of cars needed on the line. The only problems that could arise would be at the entrances as there are some bus routes that use them as well. I wonder if 512 could be come the first route to use the Pantographs it would be the perfect place to do it as they could make a brief sto in front of hillcrest to confirm that the pole or pan is up before proceeding in or out of service and all of the turn offs on it are ready for it as other than Bathurst it has no connection to anywhere else on the network.
St Clair will go panto "later this year" (https://twitter.com/bradTTC/status/854817392203096064) but "Spadina first" (https://twitter.com/bradTTC/status/855113453404651526)

Back