News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

https://twitter.com/BenSpurr/status/875400232619696128

upload_2017-6-15_13-12-35.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-15_13-12-35.png
    upload_2017-6-15_13-12-35.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 265
As I rode 514, 510 and 509 cars today, only shaking my head how these fare machines are failing. None on the 2 514 as well 2 510 cars were working at all. I sat across from a 509 machine and it was laughable. One rider try the token fare and refused to work and couldn't do it on the other one as well. A student try paying cash on the one in front of me and the touch screen refused to work as it should. Every time they try to correct the error, it keep adding more riders to the plan one to the point I told they forget it after it reach a 11 riders requested payment. A lot of free rides today on TTC.

Riders need to buy their Presto cards, but wouldn't be surprise it not work as well.

As for the door issues, BBD is still dealing with the TR doors and are the doors from the new TR supplier??

The driver on one of the 514 was having a bad day dealing with poles coming off the line. In the 2 mile trip I was on, the pole came off twice with the driver saying I wish the pans were in service. He had already had a number of poles coming off today. Be lucky to have the system converted by 2019 at the rate of things are going, not the plan 2016/17 schedule.

One rider try the token fare and refused to work and couldn't do it on the other one as well. A student try paying cash on the one in front of me and the touch screen refused to work as it should. Every time they try to correct the error, it keep adding more riders to the plan one to the point I told they forget it after it reach a 11 riders requested payment.
I sometime wonder if the reason they have difficulty excepting tokens or cash is because they are full with the particular fare media. I have seen pole be able to use debit or credit card in the situation, sometimes they go down especially when the streetcar is in a tunnel.

As for the door issues, BBD is still dealing with the TR doors and are the doors from the new TR supplier??

I think they are different doors from the Toronto Rocket trains and it's not relly an issue with the supplier of them it's an issue with the electrical parts of them. Plus I'm sure people holding them open doesn't help much.

The driver on one of the 514 was having a bad day dealing with poles coming off the line. In the 2 mile trip I was on, the pole came off twice with the driver saying I wish the pans were in service. He had already had a number of poles coming off today. Be lucky to have the system converted by 2019 at the rate of things are going, not the plan 2016/17 schedule.

I'm sure there are about a dozen reason why they haven't done it yet, but at least they are doing it this time. Unlike when they got the CLRVs and ALRVs as apparently they had planned to covert the overhead then too but never bothered. I wonder if they will out pans on the PCC and Peter whit car as well as I have seen a few locations that do operate historic cars with Pans on them so it could be done whether or not the TTC feels it's worth it to do for just a few showpieces is another thing, plus there's also the question if they will keep any CLRVs and ALRVs as part of the historic fleet as well.

According to Steve Munro's blog, apparently TTC does plan to covert the rebuilt ARLVs to pans.
yes that's when I saw that. I'm sure they probably could put them on the PCC and Peter whitt too. Blackpool in the UK has an extensive old tram felt that they pull out sometimes and even run them with their newer flexity style fleet.

We can pretty much be sure BBD can deliver July and August with no problem. September would be interesting as the first car from the new assembly line arrives. Then both line ramps up to 4 a month. They'll have to deliver some of the September cars earlier (like early August) if they want to achieve more than 40.

Last edited:
We can pretty much be sure BBD can deliver July and August with no problem. September would be interesting as the first car from the new assembly line arrives. Then both line ramps up to 4 a month. They'll have to deliver some of the September cars earlier (like early August) if they want to achieve more than 40.

I really hope for the sake of our reputation and negotiation leverage in the future that we remain firm on the 2019 deadline and won't just brush off the last few. 1 or 2 short is still short of what was agreed. It seems that ttc has been pretty mushy with contract disputes and pushed around by the contractors/manufacturers from recent times ie the Spadina debacle

If any serious work needs to be done to the Witt to facilitate it, it seems like a colossal waste of time and money to panto it unless all costs including labour were crowdfunded. At least the PCCs do a job down on the waterfront for part of the year.

At a time when the suburban wreckers are taking aim at the streetcar network again, the TTC has to be seen to be prioritizing productive assets unless wholly separate funding (private or higher government) is forthcoming.

If any serious work needs to be done to the Witt to facilitate it, it seems like a colossal waste of time and money to panto it unless all costs including labour were crowdfunded. At least the PCCs do a job down on the waterfront for part of the year.

At a time when the suburban wreckers are taking aim at the streetcar network again, the TTC has to be seen to be prioritizing productive assets unless wholly separate funding (private or higher government) is forthcoming.
I agree that having the Witt converted is a 'luxury" and it is very seldom out anyway but it IS a historic car and seeing it is interesting. The two PCCs do run on QQ in summer but they do not charge fares (or didn't last year) - they are NOT there to provide service but to "build the brand' and give pleasure to people. Many go there and wait to ride in one so this is certainly happening - how much it is worth vs how much an upgrade would cost is unclear. Once the TTC moves completely to pantos the poles will simply not work.

They'll just run the Peter Witt's and PCC's with pantographs, if they want to.

In New York City, they have vintage runs using "ancient" subway cars.

The video say 4436, not 4438. As noted, 4438 still going through inspection with burn in starting this week.

If 4439 is ready for pickup, should be here this Thursday and a week after 4438. Could we see 4040 being ready for shipping come this Friday and ahead of schedule??

The video say 4436, not 4438. As noted, 4438 still going through inspection with burn in starting this week.

If 4439 is ready for pickup, should be here this Thursday and a week after 4438. Could we see 4040 being ready for shipping come this Friday and ahead of schedule??
yeah my bad I mislabeled them when I uploaded them I fixed it now

Back