News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

4440 in service
upload_2017-7-19_9-12-47.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-19_9-12-47.png
    upload_2017-7-19_9-12-47.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 492
They are Law. If the consequences of repeated violations of a contract aren't administered, the party responsible, in many cases, this one included, will continue to realize there are no consequences and continue doing same.
Contracts aren't law.

They are contracts.

Also put it in context.

It's door issues. It will get sorted out. If the issues were the wheels keep falling off, or the motors keep bursting into flame it might be different.

There's nothing unusual in this. In fact, other than the lateness - it actually seems to be going relatively smoothly to me, compared to some new rail rolling stock programs you hear about! Do you remember the Turbo introduction?

Contracts aren't law.

They are contracts.

Also put it in context.
Some of your insights are fascinating.

Canadian contract law - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_contract_law
Canadian contract law has its foundation in the English legal tradition of the 19th and early 20th century. It remains largely rooted in the old English common law ...
Elements of a contract · ‎Offer
The Law of Contracts 2/e | Irwin Law
https://www.irwinlaw.com/titles/law-contracts-0
The Law of Contracts, second edition, is a thorough revision of this authoritative text in Irwin Law's Essentials of Canadian Law series. It includes discussion of ...

can the plane reach Winnipeg from the last stop in Europe??

Not an issue. The air force books the Antonov to carry heavier stuff just as far.

Since the AN-125 has a wing span of 240 ft, is there room in Winnipeg to off load the cargo??

Absolutely. Winnipeg is also the Air Force second strategic airlift base. That means it has to be able to handle massive airlifters to move heavy military equipment.

wrong, everything on the AN-125 is not going to Thunder Bay, but to Kingston as well and maybe somewhere else.

This is probably the answer. I am guessing not everything is going to Thunder Bay on that load, and the delivery costs to Winnipeg were probably higher. Alternatively, cargo haulers charge more to go to places from where they'll be flying back empty. There's good likelihood, they'll get a shipment outbound from Toronto. Less so, from Winnipeg.

What I am curious about is how that spike in Jan/Feb happens - you'd think that's the period of time (winter) where failure rate should be the highest in the year.

AoD

I wonder if preventive maintenance is much better in the Winter reducing the likelihood of failure?

If it was in service, it was short lived as it spent all afternoon in and out of various service bay as well travel around the yard.

It is currently in Spadina Loop after coming from the EX as a dot (not in service)

Are we going to see 4441 & 442 this month with 12 days to go?? This is TTC Hillcrest, not BBD plant

Some of your insights are fascinating.

Canadian contract law - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_contract_law
Canadian contract law has its foundation in the English legal tradition of the 19th and early 20th century. It remains largely rooted in the old English common law ...
Elements of a contract · ‎Offer
The Law of Contracts 2/e | Irwin Law
https://www.irwinlaw.com/titles/law-contracts-0
The Law of Contracts, second edition, is a thorough revision of this authoritative text in Irwin Law's Essentials of Canadian Law series. It includes discussion of ...
Not sure your point.

Contract law is law. The law of contracts is contract law.

But contracts, in themselves, aren't law. They are instruments.

Not sure your point.

Contract law is law. The law of contracts is contract law.

But contracts, in themselves, aren't law. They are instruments.
Well then, why is it before the courts? Over to you...

law
lô/
noun
noun: law; noun: the law
the system of rules that a particular country or community recognizes as regulating the actions of its members and may enforce by the imposition of penalties.
"they were taken to court for breaking the law"

Contract Law Terms: Definitions & Contract Types. A contract is an agreement between two or more parties to perform a service, provide a product or commit to an act and is enforceable by law. There are several types of contracts, and each have specific terms and conditions.

Feel absolutely free to quote from the decision on the injunction:
https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/doc/2017/2017onsc2372/2017onsc2372.pdf

A reminder of the context this is in:
dowlingm said:
Contracts are not holy writ.

I answered:
They are Law. If the consequences of repeated violations of a contract aren't administered, the party responsible, in many cases, this one included, will continue to realize there are no consequences and continue doing same.
Contract law is law.

Last edited:
^ can we get back on topic instead of cluttering this thread with definitions from the dictionary? People can always just say "I agree to disagree" and move forward. Getting the last word in isn't always required.

^ can we get back on topic instead of cluttering this thread with definitions from the dictionary? People can always just say "I agree to disagree" and move forward. Getting the last word in isn't always required.
And here's the big issue that some seem to miss, entirely germane to the string:

Note the date:
TTC will sue Bombardier over late streetcars

The TTC board approved the lawsuit among seven actions against the streetcar manufacturer.
By Tess KalinowskiTransportation reporter
Wed., Oct. 28, 2015
[...]
Among seven actions approved by the TTC board on Wednesday is a request that the CEO of Bombardier appear in Toronto next month to explain the company’s failure.

The TTC will also claim $50 million in liquidated damages and other compensation, for which additional streetcars could be substituted. The TTC has already looked at adding 60 more cars to the original 204-car order.

Meantime, it will begin investigating alternative suppliers in case Bombardier is never able to fulfill the order, for example if it were to be sold or go out of business.
[...]
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/10/28/ttc-will-sue-bombardier-over-late-streetcars.html

And what is happening again?
Inside Bombardier’s delayed streetcar deliveries
Not in service
By Ben Spurr, Edward Keenan, Marco Chown Oved, Jayme Poisson, Marina Jimenez and David Rider

May 5, 2017

Toronto was supposed to have 121 new streetcars by now. We have received only 35.

That’s the crux of the problem with the state of the TTC’s $1-billion contract with Bombardier for 204 low-floor Flexity streetcars to be delivered by 2019. Almost eight years into the deal, Bombardier has repeatedly failed to meet its delivery deadlines, demonstrated quality-control problems that have dragged on for years, and promised that improvements that would double or triple the speed of delivery were around the corner.
[...]
http://projects.thestar.com/bombardier-ttc/

And the latest:
Bombardier admits it may miss 2017 TTC streetcar delivery target
Company has told the TTC it will be a ‘challenge’ to provide a total of 70 cars by the end of the year.

By Ben SpurrTransportation Reporter
Wed., July 12, 2017
The TTC’s much-delayed streetcar order could be headed for another setback.

After months of assurances from Bombardier that the company was on track to meet its latest delivery targets, the Quebec-based rail manufacturer warned the transit agency this week that it will be a “challenge” to supply 70 cars by the end of 2017 as scheduled.

TTC CEO Andy Byford revealed the latest snag with the $1-billion vehicle purchase at a meeting of the agency’s board on Wednesday, where commissioners also voted to seek out other potential suppliers for future streetcar orders.

“They (Bombardier) have said to me that the 70 by year-end is still possible, but it’s at risk and that it’s increasingly challenging,” said Byford, who discussed the order Tuesday with Bombardier’s president of transportation for the Americas, Benoît Brossoit. [...]
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...-miss-2017-ttc-streetcar-delivery-target.html

Should Bombardier pay the costs of being late on the contract? Legally they are liable, whether completing or being allowed to complete the contract.

And here's the big issue that some seem to miss, entirely germane to the string:

Note the date:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/10/28/ttc-will-sue-bombardier-over-late-streetcars.html

And what is happening again?

http://projects.thestar.com/bombardier-ttc/

And the latest:

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...-miss-2017-ttc-streetcar-delivery-target.html

Should Bombardier pay the costs of being late on the contract? Legally they are liable, whether completing or being allowed to complete the contract.
If BBD is replace my X company for having the contract terminated for the on going problem, they will be on the hock for all cost TTC will include what they may have to pay over the cost of BBD contract per car as well on top of the current cost so far.

As it been stated more than enough, what does TTC do if the cars aren't close to the failure rate come car 60th?? Unless BBD is picking up these extra cost in fixing the problems with the failures, TTC needs to add that cost to its back charge list.

Car 4440 went into service yesterday for only a few trips before it was back at the yard for work on it. From what I saw, it was in and out of various service bay all afternoon and doing around the yard testing. Late last night, it made a few trips between CNE and Spadina Loop out of service. Its currently on 509 today. Been some time I have track cars and for some unknown reason, I did it yesterday for 4440.

People need to read the fine print on contracts before you sign them, otherwise you will be in for some surprises if you don't down the road. A contract is a contract with legal ramification if they aren't live up to that can cost you a bundle of money and problems. Best to have a lawyer to review them first.

Unless 4441 and 4442 get ship by July 23, BBD will miss this month delivery schedule.

Last edited:
I think it's looking like BBD knew they were going to miss in July, and thus gave Byford a heads up for this month's Commission meeting.

I think it's looking like BBD knew they were going to miss in July, and thus gave Byford a heads up for this month's Commission meeting.
Does this mean TTC will get 4 car in Aug than the plan 2 or will it work out between Aug to Dec??

Will we see the 60th car in Nov or will it be Dec now??

Does shipping by the 23rd mean it would give CP enough time to get them to Toronto before August 1st?
Yes.

Depending on CP, they can be a few day to a couple weeks based on track records so far. If CP can do it in 4 day, then we have until the 27th.

Now we are talking 2 cars and they could come down on one train or 2 trains being a day apart. I sure there are at least 3 flats the TB waiting cars at this time or should be.

If the cars are pickup on the 23rd, gives CP 8 days to get them to Hillcrest by the 31.

Back