News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

If the issue was simply that when construction began, the area was wet from a super-unusual period of rainfall and high lake levels, that would be one thing. The need to delay construction until the ground is dry and work can be done properly, I get that.

But if they actually said, we better go back and reengineer..... then their original solution was not robust and this was an "oops".

- Paul

My understanding is that there was still standing water in the excavation in September or October. I don't know what the normal water levels are like in the area, but along the Harbourfront the water was still several feet higher than where would normally be at that time of year.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The procurement department in the TTC needs to become professional.
I think they try to be but council gets in the way with other plans on things. For example, they gave them a number of the number of buses they needed and then get told let's not order that man, instead lest order some buses of a different type to test out.

Again, for a new build - I can totally see why you'd want to know what the situation is. And putting monitoring wells in for a couple of years is an obvious thing to do if you have the ability to do so.

But this was, to use the parlance of a former Secretary of Defence, a known known. The road structure and tracks have been in place for 60+ years, and have gone through a couple of rebuilds as well. They should have known what the normal water levels would be at any given time of year, no?
probably ... that they'd have actually dug to check them at the wrong time of year suggests gross incompetence - particularly next to an artificially controlled reservoir.

I suppose it would all depend on city and TTC as-builts and how well they are documented. Interestingly, I don't see any well records in the provincial database - which suggests that they didn't actually check at all - so perhaps that report is not true.

Mind you, you don't need a water level to know where the water table is going to be when you are building a very large station and subway in a flat area with a creek flowing nearby. And yet this seemed to be constantly an excuse on why construction was behind at Highway 407 station and other locations.

Lowest bidder ....

probably ... that they'd have actually dug to check them at the wrong time of year suggests gross incompetence - particularly next to an artificially controlled reservoir.

I suppose it would all depend on city and TTC as-builts and how well they are documented. Interestingly, I don't see any well records in the provincial database - which suggests that they didn't actually check at all - so perhaps that report is not true.

Mind you, you don't need a water level to know where the water table is going to be when you are building a very large station and subway in a flat area with a creek flowing nearby. And yet this seemed to be constantly an excuse on why construction was behind at Highway 407 station and other locations.

Lowest bidder ....

The water table issues would have nothing to do with the lowest bidder - this information would have been supplied to them by the design team. Things do change, and as I'm sure you will recall, last Spring was extremely wet - Lake levels way up, beaches closed, and of course ground water levels way up too. A well is only to show patterns that did occur - you cannot predict things that have yet to occur. With a building (or station) you would typically just de-water the site with adjacent wells (if feasible) - this is not going to be the case for the Queensway. Sure it looks bad, but I havent seen any reasonable way for the project to have predicted this and then done something about it (other than delaying the project for a year).

This picture was apparently taken on Tuesday, January 9th in Agincourt. If you look in the background you can see a Flexity. Too far to tell the number.

I was referring to the lowest bidder design team actually.
That would be TTC. Then you can say the City, since they built this area in the first place and that where the problem started in the first place.

The contractor doing the work on Queensway is the best of the bunch and is the day team

MODS: Maybe time to move these "Queensway" post to TTC other - they are really NOT to do with new Flexity streetcars
Sure it does, since the new fleet will be using this area come summer. It will benefit the quality of the ride for everyone, as well the speed of travel.

With the reopening of this area will allow the new fleet to go back to testing in Long Branch.

Sure it does, since the new fleet will be using this area come summer. It will benefit the quality of the ride for everyone, as well the speed of travel.

I concur with Allendale25. Enough with the posts about the Queensway. I came here for updates on the flexities not a discussion on how the TTC screwed up the reconstruction of the Queensway.

Back