News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Guys, because of the delivery delays, did the TTC say what routes will get the new streetcars this year ?
514, 504, 512 - and maybe 503 - are top of the last list I saw. Several other routes like 505 and 506 have NO streetcars until the fall- when they may (after the construction on most of these routes is finished and BBD may have delivered enough cars - get new ones.

514, 504, 512 - and maybe 503 - are top of the last list I saw. Several other routes like 505 and 506 have NO streetcars until the fall- when they may (after the construction on most of these routes is finished and BBD may have delivered enough cars - get new ones.

514 is currently fully low-floor equipped.

The current plan is for 504 to be completed, followed by the 512. After that, it was supposed to be the 511, but considering how they have been changing things on the fly of late I don't know if that's still the case.

As for the 505 and 506, they were converted due to a lack of streetcars - not because of any construction. If Bombardier is able to deliver what it claims it can this year, that might put the TTC into the position of being able to put streetcars back on one of those two routes. I can't see the other coming back until the middle of next year at the earliest, however.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

As for the 505 and 506, they were converted due to a lack of streetcars - not because of any construction.
That's not entirely true from now until the spring there is no construction but they will be replacing the switches at Dundas and Broadview in the spring as well Main Street station is going to be a major construction zone starting in may they well the replace the tracks and overhead. Most bus routes will be diverting either to Victoria Park or load offload on the street. the 506 will be moved to Victoria Park station.

My guess would be that as soon as 504 and 512 are all converted they will shift over to 511 and probably 503 at the same time and we will probably start to see a few on 501 by some point.

That's not entirely true from now until the spring there is no construction but they will be replacing the switches at Dundas and Broadview in the spring as well Main Street station is going to be a major construction zone starting in may they well the replace the tracks and overhead. Most bus routes will be diverting either to Victoria Park or load offload on the street. the 506 will be moved to Victoria Park station.

The intersection of Dundas and Broadview isn't scheduled to be done until later this year. They wouldn't start the conversion now for construction that far in the future.

The work being done at Main Street Station is a red herring. They would have only bustituted a portion of the line - Coxwell to Main Street Station - if they still had enough streetcars to run the service.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

What about the special work at Gerrard and Coxwell and the tangent stretch between Queen and Coxwell and Upper Gerrard and Coxwell? There is also a lot of damage to the concrete “flanges” on the Queen track between Broadview and Greenwood.

Wasnt queen rebuilt in late 90's / 00's with the new "it'll last 40 years" method? Why would the concrete start failing only halfway through?

511 overhead is fully panto converted (per TTC map on recent Steve Munro blog post) so if the trolley shoes issue is still dragging on by the time 504 is done, it might make sense to put that up next.

Wasnt queen rebuilt in late 90's / 00's with the new "it'll last 40 years" method? Why would the concrete start failing only halfway through?

no, it was built with the "use crappy sub-base and wooden ties, and pour a bunch of concrete over it and hope that will mask up our cheap out" method.

Nothing prior to 2004 was built with the proper method. College was the first to get it in 2004.

no, it was built with the "use crappy sub-base and wooden ties, and pour a bunch of concrete over it and hope that will mask up our cheap out" method.

Nothing prior to 2004 was built with the proper method. College was the first to get it in 2004.

Are you sure? I lived on Queen East during the rebuild. It was a long time ago but I thought it was to the newer standards

When Spadina was built in 1996 and 1997, it was built to the new Retrac standards - and all trangent track replaced since has also used that method. Intersections, on the other hand, didn't move to the same method until Dufferin/King around 2005 or so.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

King - at least downtown - was rebuilt in 2002 or 2003 and it used the newer method, certainly for tangent track. It now needs some TLC as there are many areas where the concrete on the outside of the track (against asphalt) is failing and should be replaced. TTC needs to get caught up with SOGR repairs so that fairly minor problems don`t develop into major ones.

Back