News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

On February 20, Vancouver's Olympic Line reached a new milestone - 300,000 riders in just 30 days. Emma Agosti was identified as the 300,000th passenger and received a gift package and a ride in the cab of the BOMBARDIER FLEXITY streetcar.

[video=youtube;YFH0ba08118]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFH0ba08118[/video]

sigh...i want to move to vancouver now...screw toronto!

sigh...i want to move to vancouver now...screw toronto!

Don't forget that Toronto has ordered 204 Bombardier streetcars, which will be about 20 cm wider than the 2 Brussels trams on loan currently in Vancouver.

Are you aware that the Olympic Line service will be discontinued in three weeks after the Paralympic Games are over?

You'd probably have to wait at least a few years before the Evergreen line opens.... and isn't it being converted to ICTS technology? It was originally slated to be an LRT line...

Don't forget that Toronto has ordered 204 Bombardier streetcars, which will be about 20 cm wider than the 2 Brussels trams on loan currently in Vancouver.

yea but they dont arrive until late 2016...so why bother? i want it now!

@DavidH meh who cares? at least the subway system is better than TTC and much more CLEANER

yea but they dont arrive until late 2016...so why bother? i want it now!

@DavidH meh who cares? at least the subway system is better than TTC and much more CLEANER

"Better" is a difficult thing to determine, especially when considering two very different cities with two very different subway systems. Maybe you weren't making a serious comment, but having lived in Vancouver myself, I can tell you that their transit system has a few problems of its own including poor suburban service.

In addition, the Olympic line was built on already-existing tracks in an already-existing right-of-way. Transit City is ripping up roads and laying track down, a far more arduous process. But I digress.

"Better" is a difficult thing to determine, especially when considering two very different cities with two very different subway systems. Maybe you weren't making a serious comment, but having lived in Vancouver myself, I can tell you that their transit system has a few problems of its own including poor suburban service.

In addition, the Olympic line was built on already-existing tracks in an already-existing right-of-way. Transit City is ripping up roads and laying track down, a far more arduous process. But I digress.

yea but the problems they are facing are not as bad as the ones we are facing in toronto, am i right? right now, nothing is going right for the ttc...transit city...hmm i'll see it then i'll believe it...

Like I said, it's hard to compare the two city's systems, as they are so different. TransLink is currently drawing from their reserve fund to balance their budget but will soon be facing a deficit and will be forced to make service cuts. Both the TTC and TransLink face a disconnect between what they would like to/what they are required to do and the funding that is available. So in that sense, they are comparable; but I would also say that the TTC is getting some major projects underway without the impetus that the Olympics provide.

I looked back through the pages of this post again and came across this on page twelve. So do you think we are going to get our first car this year?
It's interesting to see all this information that started in 2006, it's now 2010, four years later and " they dont arrive until late 2016"

Streetcars Of Future Seen At Cne
Bigger, Sleeker; TTC Hopes Next Generation Of Cars On Road In 2010

Natalie Alcoba
National Post

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A glimpse into the possible future of streetcar transit in this city can be seen at the Canadian National Exhibition as the Toronto Transit Commission continues its drive to replace its fleet of ageing vehicles.

The $1.4-billion contract to replace all of the TTC's 248 cars with 204 longer, greater capacity vehicles is said to be North America's largest light rail deal, and will set the stage for Toronto Transit City, an ambitious proposal to add 120 kilometres of streetcar routes by 2021.

Quote: I looked back through the pages of this post again and came across this on page twelve. So do you think we are going to get our first car this year?
It's interesting to see all this information that started in 2006, it's now 2010, four years later and " they don't arrive until late 2016"

I think the order for all 204 new streetcars will be COMPLETE in 2016, some are supposed to arrive this year or early in 2011.

I was looking at the pretty pictures from the PDF's that Montréal has available (in French only) at their website (click on this link), I came across something interesting with Montréal's LRV's.

Toronto's streetcars that are order will be about 28m long and 2.54m wide. Montréal's LRV's could be 45m long and about 2.65m wide, according to the pretty diagrams in their PDF. Since the rumor is that the Transit City LRV's will use standard gauge, most likely they can be wider than the streetcars, so 2.65m in width could be used. Don't know about what the length Metrolinx and TTC is considering for the Transit City LRV's. (Buses are 12m long, CLRV's are about 15m long, and ALRV's are about 23m long, for comparison.)

attachment.php

Hypothèses de conception du système
Matériel roulant
Largeur de la caisse : 2,65 m
Longueur du véhicule : 45 m
Hauteur de plancher: 350 mm
Opération des véhicules: bidirectionnelle
Accessibilité des véhicules: 100% accessibles par le PMR
Gabarit libre d'obstacle (GLO): lame d'air de 150 mm en alignement droit
Type: fer
Voies
Pente maximale constante: 6 %
Pente maximale ponctuelle: 8%
Écartement de la voie: 1 435 mm
Rayon horizontal minimal: 50 m
Alignement droit entre courbe et contre-courbe: 11m
Accélération non compensée (confort voyageur): 0,88 m/s2
Secousse: ≤ 0,4 m/s3
Accélération verticale: ≤ 0,2 m/s2
Rayons verticaux minimums:
Concave: 500 m
Convexe: 700 m
Station
Longueur: 45 m (longueur du véhicule) + rampes pour accès PMR
Largeur:
Quai latéral: 3,00 m
Quai central: 4,00 m
Hauteur du quai: 350 mm
Lacune horizontale: 50 mm
Pente en station: ≤ 2 % (constante)
Rayon minimum en station: alignement droit
Exploitation
Vitesse commerciale cible: 18 km/h
Intervalle d'exploitation: 3 à 5 minutes – Proposition 4 minutes
Achalandage prévisionnel: 97 000 voy/j
Vitesse commerciale actuelle des autobus: 14 km/h (ligne 535)
Densité de passager: 4 passagers/m2 pour le confort des usagers
Largeurs de plateforme
En mode guidé et en fonctionnement nominal la trajectoire des véhicules est imposée : ceux-ci ne peuvent
pas dévier de leur voie pour éviter un obstacle fixe situé dans le volume qu’ils occupent quand ils passent,
d'où l'importance de la notion de gabarit.
Le gabarit limite d’obstacle (GLO) sert à caractériser ce volume critique, qui est naturellement vide en
l’absence du véhicule guidé, et donc transparent pour les autres usagers de l’espace public considéré.
En conséquence, le GLO définit l’espace à l’intérieur duquel aucun obstacle fixe ne doit être implanté, à
l’exception toutefois du bord du quai, où l’on prend une valeur particulière compte tenu de la vitesse réduite
du véhicule en station, de la bonne fondation et bonne liaison du quai avec la voie, limitant les déformations
différentielles possibles.
Le GLO se développe ainsi tout au long du tracé de la ligne de transport guidé et il est intrinsèquement lié au
véhicule concerné.

Online translation outputs:
Assumptions of system design
Rolling Stock
box width: 2.65 m
Vehicle Length: 45 m
Floor height: 350 mm
Operation of vehicles: bidirectional
Accessibility vehicles: 100% accessible by the PMR
template free of obstacles (GLO): cavity of 150 mm tangent
Type: Iron
Channels
constant maximum slope: 6%
maximum slope off: 8%
Track gauge: 1 435 mm
minimum horizontal radius: 50 m
tangent between curve and curve-cons: 11m
Acceleration uncompensated (passenger comfort): 0.88 m/s2
Shake: ≤ 0.4 m/s3
Vertical Acceleration: ≤ 0.2 m/s2
Rays vertical minimum:
Concave: 500 m
Convex: 700 m
Station
Length: 45 m (length of the vehicle) + access ramps for PMR
Width:
Quay Side: 3.00 m
Central Pier: 4.00 m
Wharf Height: 350 mm
Horizontal Gap: 50 mm
station slope: ≤ 2% (constant)
Minimum radius station: tangent
Operations
Commercial speed target: 18 km / h
Operating Range: 3 to 5 minutes - Proposal 4 minutes
ridership estimates: 97 000 voy / d
current speed Commercial Buses: 14 km / h (line 535)
density Passenger: 4 passagers/m2 for user comfort
Platform widths
In guided mode and nominal operation of the vehicle trajectory is imposed, they can
not deviate from their course to avoid a fixed obstacle located in the volume they occupy when they pass
hence the importance of the concept of template.
The obstacle clearance limit (GLO) is used to characterize this critical volume, which of course is empty
the absence of the guided vehicle, and therefore transparent to other users of public space in question.
Consequently, the GLO defines the space within which any fixed obstacle shall be located at
the exception of the platform edge, where one takes a particular value given the low speed
Vehicle station, good foundation and good liaison with the dock road, limiting the deformations
differential possible.
The GLO is developing well throughout the course of the transmission line and guided it is intrinsically linked to
vehicle concerned.

Shouldn't we already have some real specs by now?

Toronto's streetcars that are order will be about 28m long and 2.54m wide. Montréal's LRV's could be 45m long and about 2.65m wide, according to the pretty diagrams in their PDF. Since the rumor is that the Transit City LRV's will use standard gauge, most likely they can be wider than the streetcars, so 2.65m in width could be used. Don't know about what the length Metrolinx and TTC is considering for the Transit City LRV's. (Buses are 12m long, CLRV's are about 15m long, and ALRV's are about 23m long, for comparison.)

First of all, Transit City being on standard gauge is pretty much a done deal--it's been announced as such in the public press. Secondly, TTC gauge is 6 cm broader than standard gauge, so I don't quite see Transit City lines having standard gauge tracks will automatically allow for wider vehicles---surely, if anything, it would be the opposite? In any event, when it comes to delimiting vehicle dimensions, the space between contraflowing tracks and platforms ("loading gauge") and the radius of turns are probably more important than track gauge.

TC will almost certainly be built with more generous curves and inclines that will greatly reduce the technical demands on the LRVs. I imagine a lot of the design compromises that Bombardier had to make to adapt the Flexity Outlook platform to work on the legacy network will be 'undone' if the TTC/Metrolinx exercise the order option to supply Transit City with more Flexitys. Flexitys are a wildly customizable family of vehicles, so the TC fleet could ultimately be quite different beasts than the legacy network fleet in terms of dimensions and truck layout while still sharing 95%+ of the same components. By being a bit more 'off-the-shelf' they also ought to be cheaper.

I'd be curious what the marginal cost increase is for moving from a 28m vehicle up to a 45m vehicle. Based on current bus ridership levels and the desire to keep headways under 6 minutes rather than push them up to 15 or so, I imagine 28m LRVs would actually be relatively empty for at least the first decade of operations on most Transit City lines. If extra length is just going to remain underutilized for at least the first half of the LRV's life, how much is it worth paying for?

Given that TC vehicles could be quite a bit different from the legacy LRVs, I always wondered why the TTC decided to have side platforms (as opposed to a more efficient central island platform) on TC lines, or why TC platforms are at curb height rather than high enough to allow high floor vehicles.

Back