News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Sorry for that as the wifi on my trip is sucking and only showing parts of things and the trip log was one of them.

Good thing TTC didn't order more cars from BBD as plan.
TTC sees dramatic rise in streetcar maintenance orders https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...tic-rise-in-streetcar-maintenance-orders.html

I guess our biases affect how a TorStar article like this is interpreted. A couple lines stuck out to me:

“The number of open work orders is not a reflection of contract or vehicle performance,” Green said in an email.

Bombardier spokesperson Kaven Delarosbil also said in an email the number of work orders “cannot and should not be interpreted as a reflection of the performance of the vehicle; more cars in service means more maintenance activity overtime, simple math.”

Also - they used two anonymous TTC sources for the story that seem to contradict each other. The author also makes it seem like TTC is accepting cars that they shouldn't be, and not adding hold-backs on the cars... seeing something like that, in my mind, means that the two parties relationship is good and they don't have to resort to contractual elements to get the deficiencies corrected. TTC trusts BBD to correct the deficiencies without the hold-back.

Just great. The backbone of the revenue fleet with a ballooning fix list while TTC keeps ALRVs rolling to, among other reasons, fulfill a railfan charter. Apparently this morning 4204 is doing laps of Russell with a bunch of operators aboard.

The ballooning fix list also includes all normal maintenance items, and since these are work-orders. Changing the emergency stop button on 165 vehicles means (at least - is there only one?) 165 work orders... one could see how things can add up quickly in that way.

I guess our biases affect how a TorStar article like this is interpreted. A couple lines stuck out to me:

“The number of open work orders is not a reflection of contract or vehicle performance,” Green said in an email.

Bombardier spokesperson Kaven Delarosbil also said in an email the number of work orders “cannot and should not be interpreted as a reflection of the performance of the vehicle; more cars in service means more maintenance activity overtime, simple math.”

Also - they used two anonymous TTC sources for the story that seem to contradict each other. The author also makes it seem like TTC is accepting cars that they shouldn't be, and not adding hold-backs on the cars... seeing something like that, in my mind, means that the two parties relationship is good and they don't have to resort to contractual elements to get the deficiencies corrected. TTC trusts BBD to correct the deficiencies without the hold-back.
Well, "bbdfollower", the TTC has defended Bombardier to the hilt for years, dutifully passing along their production predictions and their promises to do better. It is not credible to take their statements at face value. The 35K MDBF has never been hit and the way things are going never will, when it was supposed to be hit by car #60. The TTC have made their bed and are choosing to lie on it - fine - but let's not pretend that it is not very likely that at some point in the future the Commission will make some sort of shifty admission (possibly after one or more managers have moved on) that this report as so many before was largely true.

4564 Has enter service on 510 (510L)

4576 has finally been moved into a service bay after almost 2 weeks been on the service track

It will be interesting to see what the CEO has to say in his Sept Report on the new fleet as well the existing one.

Visiting New York City? Would riding the subway trains be on your agenda?

1920px-MTA_NYC_Subway_A_train_arriving_at_Broad_Channel.jpg

From link.

Visiting London, England? Would riding the tube trains and the double decker buses be on your agenda?
1920px-London_Underground_1992_Stock_at_Theydon_Bois_by_tompagenet.jpg

From link.

1280px-Arriva_London_buses_VLA157_%28LJ55_BSU%29_%26_RM54_%28LDS_279A%29%2C_Whitehall%2C_route_159%2C_9_December_2005.jpg

From link.

Visiting Toronto? Would riding the streetcars be on their agenda?
1280px-Beautiful_new_Bombardier_vehicles%2C_from_the_SW_corner_of_River_and_King%2C_2016_05_02_%287%29_%2826689006592%29.jpg

From link.

If you have visitors, and they see the streetcars, they may want to ride them.
Sure, the novelty of foreign public transit is always appealing. I recall seeking out the subtle decker streetcars or trams in Hong Kong, and just riding the line. Bullet train in Taiwan was amazing.

Now I am home, 4564 was off loaded Aug 2nd that went into service Aug 21.

4563 was off loaded July 30 that went into service Aug 17 that I screw up on thanks to US WIFI.

4567 was off loaded Aug 16 and is tracking now in the yard.

As for 4576, it s now day 42 since being off loaded and still not in service.

4565 enter service late this afternoon on 501 after arriving August 07

4568 waiting to be off loaded

30 still to come plus 4401

Hmm. That is odd all right. I looked from my PC and am pretty sure I typed in the right one.
I have done the same thing in the past and said what is that car doing in service/tracking, only to see I use 44 in place of 45. Very rare this past year you will see an off loaded car show tracking after a few days to the point most show up 5-8 days.

Back