News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Question: has TTC tested consist operations where two "New Streetcars" are pointing in opposite directions while chained? With the cabs pointing outwards? Or if not, are there provisions to enable this mode of operations at some later future date?

I ask because this could turn the streetcars bidirectional without streetcar loops --

This relate to a theoretical eventual upgrading (within 10-15 years) of the King Street Trial being turned into a King LRT similar to Calgary C-Train like an urban equivalent of the surface portion of Crosstown LRT.

And with proper crossovers added, could turn King LRT temporarily into two separate LRT routes operating on opposite sides of TIFF, without efficiency-hurting detours. And, consider when the King corridor becomes a transit-only corridor and rebuilt with slightly raised level-boarding metro-style platforms (subway-style boarding without ramps), and getting more throughput, possibly 100K/day if fully converted to consist operations someday -- like during the 2030s. And of course, the contentious transit-priority too will be needed. Imagine King LRT with Calgary C-Train style look of chained new streetcars operating to rapid LRT principles.

One idea is if TTC switches suppliers because they're still unhappy with Bombardier, then the new streetcars are redirected elsewhere away from King, and a different supplier builds extra trains specifically used for the King LRT upgraded to 100K+/day specifications (it's possible with a surface corridor using transit priority + no cars + consist operations + raised level-boarding platforms). After all, Calgary C-Train pushes 300K/day through traffic intersections. It will take some serious modifications but it's not a huge leap of logic in Toronto's densifying spree + desire for sensible ways of pushing more people down a corridor. Eventually, this will win out in tomorrow's demographics and demands for transit.

Last edited:
^ One small problem with back to back operations on TTC - doors on only one side of the cars!
A second problem is length. Using flexities in train mode on existing routes is probably impractical (but would be fun to observe!)
Double end is not a bad concept, but would require new cars with double sided doors, and cabs at both ends.
- Paul

Last edited:
I wonder how many TAs operate vehicles >30m at 600V or below? I suspect not many. Look at how Confed line is being operated at 1500V. I have wondered in the past whether TTC has laid any pipe on lifting the downtown network to 750V and whether Flexity can accept that change without physical modification.

Question: has TTC tested consist operations where two "New Streetcars" are pointing in opposite directions while chained? With the cabs pointing outwards? Or if not, are there provisions to enable this mode of operations at some later future date?

I ask because this could turn the streetcars bidirectional without streetcar loops --

This relate to a theoretical eventual upgrading (within 10-15 years) of the King Street Trial being turned into a King LRT similar to Calgary C-Train like an urban equivalent of the surface portion of Crosstown LRT.

And with proper crossovers added, could turn King LRT temporarily into two separate LRT routes operating on opposite sides of TIFF, without efficiency-hurting detours. And, consider when the King corridor becomes a transit-only corridor and rebuilt with slightly raised level-boarding metro-style platforms (subway-style boarding without ramps), and getting more throughput, possibly 100K/day if fully converted to consist operations someday -- like during the 2030s. And of course, the contentious transit-priority too will be needed. Imagine King LRT with Calgary C-Train style look of chained new streetcars operating to rapid LRT principles.

One idea is if TTC switches suppliers because they're still unhappy with Bombardier, then the new streetcars are redirected elsewhere away from King, and a different supplier builds extra trains specifically used for the King LRT upgraded to 100K+/day specifications (it's possible with a surface corridor using transit priority + no cars + consist operations + raised level-boarding platforms). After all, Calgary C-Train pushes 300K/day through traffic intersections. It will take some serious modifications but it's not a huge leap of logic in Toronto's densifying spree + desire for sensible ways of pushing more people down a corridor. Eventually, this will win out in tomorrow's demographics and demands for transit.

The length of a single Flexity streetcar is almost equal to two PCC streetcars or a Peter Witt streetcar & trailer. The loops are designed for that length.

streetcar-4000-70.jpg

From link.

They have done testing a Flexity streetcar pushing and pulling a "disabled" Flexity streetcar as part of acceptance testing.

The length of a single Flexity streetcar is almost equal to two PCC streetcars or a Peter Witt streetcar & trailer. The loops are designed for that length.

streetcar-4000-70.jpg

From link.

They have done testing a Flexity streetcar pushing and pulling a "disabled" Flexity streetcar as part of acceptance testing.

Its funny hearing drivers complain that the new streetcars are TOO LONG and that the system was never meant for it.

I want to print out this photos and show them.

Yes, however, I’m advocating even longer in, say, a 15 year timeline or 25-year master plan — the length of 2 new-streetcars (4 Peter Witts!). In this case, bidirectional operations become necessary. TTC would have to install a crossover near the loops. That’s just details, much cheaper than building a subway. Almost as long as a Calgary C-Train.

To clarify context —
My post is not discussing towing operations; I’m talking about powered EMU-style multi-unit operations, similar to Calgary C-Train and Eglinton Crosstown LRT (Which uses almost-identical vehicles, but chained). Has powered consists ever even been tested, specced, or conceptualized?

Obviously the route would have to be modified. The catenary (pantograph) and most of the track is theoretically compatible with powered consist operations, but you might need some modifications:
(1) Extra power due to consist operations at high service frequencies, so adding an additional substation or so;
(2) Crossovers near loops since 60-meter consists would not be compatible
(3) Closure of some side streets (Spadina style) to permit passenger revenue consist-operations
(4) Upgrade of frogs/switches at select intersections
(5) Raised subway-style platforms
(6) No cars for the lanes of the whole King streetcar tracks except at intersections (full transit-only), as a median LRT (like the existing one) outside downtown, and a transit-only corridor inside downtown (upgrade of King Trial to full TOC)
(7) Upgraded transit priority at all intersections for the entire King streetcar route, end-to-end.
(8) Installation of a LRT-like signalling system for safe crossover interlocks (positive train control safety for occupied tracks & occupied intersections).
(9) Possible minor electronics upgrade to the new-streetcars for revenue-passenger EMU-consist operations. They do that already in Flexities (the Freedom version).
(10) Possible modifications to certain curves so that there are no sharp turns for the consist-operated routing. This is not much of a problem for the King routing, though the route to MSF will be a challenge

Nontheless, still cheap compared to a subway.

This has been done before elsewhere in the world, converting a streetcar route into a surface metro — imagine converting an old tram into a long Calgary C-Train. That has happened before.

Yes, “pigs won’t fly” yet, but this will be realistic later because of changing downtown demographics and superdensification of Toronto. This would allow doubling of King passenger capacity relatively cheaply. In 20 years, demographics are going to be flexible enough to allow the upgrade of King streetcar route into a surface metro style route like the Calgary C-Train.

Basically the “Calgary C-Train” style conversion of King TTC to a King Metro. These consists won’t go everywhere on the streetcar network, but would potentially function well along an upgraded route such as the King route, which would be the most obvious candidate to upgrade a streetcar route to metro-league specs.

An opportunity exists to build a surface near-subway-rapid metro line for less than a billion dollars. Including extra vehicles.

Last edited:
4582 is reporting as out on the 501. Normally I would chalk this up to testing as they usually log into some route once before entering revenue service, but what surprises me is that they would do this testing at rush hour through the downtown.

4582 is reporting as out on the 501. Normally I would chalk this up to testing as they usually log into some route once before entering revenue service, but what surprises me is that they would do this testing at rush hour through the downtown.
It just did an in service test on Queen. The car left the yard an hour after I posted it was tracking. Very common these days to see cars testing at peak time as it would give it a real peak test before going into service. It happens on St Clair and King as well. It doing its first day of testing as far as I know, unless it been out testing with no GPS turn on.

Reactions: max
To clarify context —
My post is not discussing towing operations; I’m talking about powered EMU-style multi-unit operations, similar to Calgary C-Train and Eglinton Crosstown LRT (Which uses almost-identical vehicles, but chained). Has powered consists ever even been tested, specced, or conceptualized?
The TTC didn't speck them to have full couplers on them when they are coupled together they use a simple push bar, the same as they do with the CLRVs and the now-retired ALRVs.

I grabbed the above from TTCgeeks youtube chanel

Oh! Only a push bar.

So, a long-term (20 year window) of turning King route into an equivalent of Calgary C-Train will happen only if TTC decides to buy new vehicles then (with full EMU consist-compatible operations).

(Any possibility of future coupler upgrades on existing vehicles?)

Oh! Only a push bar.

So, a long-term (20 year window) of turning King route into an equivalent of Calgary C-Train will happen only if TTC decides to buy new vehicles then (with full EMU consist-compatible operations).

(Any possibility of future coupler upgrades on existing vehicles?)
If they had planned to operate them as multi-unit they probably would have ordered them like that. Since they have no plans to rebuild routes so they can use double-ended cars or multi-units at this point I don't see them ordering couplers fo them or changing out the ones they have now which are only for emergency use to move a disabled car to either the closest car house or a lop out of the way.

Since they have no plans yet to rebuild routes so they can use double-ended cars or multi-units
Fixed it for ya. It might not be the King routing, but the continued densification of Toronto will eventually beg the question later this century, whether in 10, 20 or 50 years.

Many theoretical scenarios. It may be an easier ask to upgrade King to a surface Calgary C-Train-like metro than to do both King and Queen transit corridors, Besides, Ontario Line has Queen. If not King, could be other routes like Spadina or St. Clair which are already closer to LRT spec and only requires fewer upgrades to gain consist train operations. Many theoretical scenarios can happen within the lifetime of the current new-streetcar fleet.

Imagine near-subway-league for less than a billion, if marketed correctly, like “...We”re choosing this vendor to expand our streetcar fleet because we now envision a plan to upgrade route 5XX into a metro similar to a Calgary C-Train...”. This was not marketable in 2010 but is now marketable to 2035 demographics.

*cue theoretical Year 2031 marketing animated video*. You know we love riding the Crosstown for the last ten years? (Images). And how it zooms through transit priority? <Video Rolls>. IMAGE: Old steetcar morphs into new streetcar. Trolleypole lowers and pantograph raises. (Animation) Stops morphs into raised platforms. (Animation) Streetcars become Eglinton Crosstown style “trains”. (Animation) Cue the education “Streetcars turns into LRT metro!”. (Animation). For a mere $, we get nearly a subway. (Cents symbols animates) <Video of existing LRTs>. Our streetcar route only requires minor upgrades for the full LRT metro! *Video ends*

The factors
- Continued super-densification of Toronto
- Demographics changes
- King Street Trial showed big ridership gains
- The construction completions of multiple LRTs
- Population will warm to efficient LRTs including Crosstown, Hurontario, etc.
- New streetcars look visually identical to LRT vehicles (length, pantographs, etc)
- Increased future funding towards climate-friendly transit (etc)

In the 2030s, with all the above happened, people will see the “clear connection” and begin asking “why certain busy streetcar routes aren’t yet running mutli-unit trains to metro platforms???” as inexpensive transit relief.

The future King rebuild may only be minor upgrades (e.g. raised level boarding platforms for a single new-streetcar) but will start to beg such questions once people start recognizing it looks like a mini-ION or mini-Crossrown, with the impending boom of LRTs. The question is going to be asked more eagerly by 2030 or 2035.

Streetcars (singles + simple stops) and LRTs (multi + raised platforms) are on an inevitable collision course in 25 and 50 years with all the existing momentum.

Last edited:
Fixed it for ya. It might not be the King routing, but the continued densification of Toronto will eventually beg the question later this century, whether in 10, 20 or 50 years.
No you didn't fix my post if I had meant to ad the word yet I would have. As I said the TTC has no current plans for double-ended cars as they don't even have the money to order more of the current ones they need.
Many theoretical scenarios. It may be an easier ask to upgrade King to a surface Calgary C-Train-like metro than to do both King and Queen transit corridors, Besides, Ontario Line has Queen. If not King, could be other routes like Spadina or St. Clair which are already closer to LRT spec and only requires fewer upgrades to gain consist train operations. Many theoretical scenarios can happen within the lifetime of the current new-streetcar fleet.
The Ontario line will run under Queen if it ever gets built and the Queen Streetcar will continue to run above it as they will both have different readerships. Having only two stops on Queen street hardly justifies getting rid of Streetcars on Queen or king.

No you didn't fix my post if I had meant to ad the word yet I would have. As I said the TTC has no current plans for double-ended cars as they don't even have the money to order more of the current ones they need.
You are correct but I'm talking about the future and not about now. "Fixed it for ya" is not meant to be misinterpreted as an offense, but to point out something obvious (read onwards):

There are multiple paths forward. Look at the bullet list in my previous post; the pressures will eventually build that leads to elected funding within a few decades. The convergence factor will create the necessary funding eventually (whether be 10, 20, 50, 100 years). Remember, we're talking about a future era where GO is electric with free transfers between TTC+GO (We're most of the way there now: the $3.70 GO fares and the $3.25 TTC fares). And TTC-operated routes are not always capital-funded by TTC (Look at Crosstown LRT!).

No plans today doesn't mean no plans tomorrow: Several years before Crosstown LRT, the TTC had no money to fund a subway under Eglinton, and that old Eglinton subway construction was cancelled and buried in the 90s.

TTC gets to operate Crosstown: TTC could not afford that, yet TTC gets to operate it. Forest, meet tree. Tree, meet forest. Even when the subways are uploaded to Metrolinx eventually TTC will still continue to operate them. It's quite an obvious convergence if you walk about 10 kilometers backwards, timetravel 50 years, and view the whole picture. It all then suddenly clicks and makes sense. Even those who disagree with me, concedes that the societial path does seem to "trend" that direction to a slowly increasing likelihood of eventually metroifying a streetcar route even if they don't think it will happen by date X.

Prediction: I think I can confidently predict that metroifying a streetcar route will occur by 50 years (aka 2069). Talking to those who have ridden the ION/Ottawa LRT *and* the Toronto new streetcars, tend to be in near-unamious agreement with this now, they suddenly recognize there's little difference between an upgraded new-streetcar route, and a metro-league LRT using extremely similiar-looking vehicles. Wait till Ontario starts riding Crosstown and Hurontario and the tsunami voters will begin to press for funding this metroification gradually. Definition: full transit priority + exclusive lanes except intersections + level boarding + powered consist operations + upgrade to rapid transit performance. I feel it probably could happen within 25 years but even more realistically 50 years.

Boom of LRTs & Familiarity: Those who have ridden the Ottawa LRT, the ION LRT, and the Calgary C-Train, recognize the potential already. They're all capable of "linked-trains-of-trams" running in a metro-league corridor! Most of Ontario residents haven't discovered this yet, but they will once there are several LRTs already built (Crosstown, Hurontario, etc) -- they're just newstreetcars running in a metro corridor. Ottawa has an LRT which makes federal more willing to consider helping metroify a Toronto streetcar route. Toronto will have multiple LRTs which makes both provincial & municipal willing to metroify a streetcar route. Suddenly, more people (politicians and electorate) sees that a hybrid between Eglinton Crosstown and a TTC Streetcar route is very doable politically on some existing TTC streetcar route, suddenly gets funded by some kind of mix in a future votership (in an era when the entire bullet list of my previous post becomes true). Future familiarity (electorate & politicans) at all levels!

Eventual Gradual Increase in Voters Warm To Funding This: As a growing percentage of population gets familiar with LRTs in the 2020s-2030s, people are going to make the connection once they start falling in love with these routes, and start voter-demanding funding of a metroification of a specific streetcar route (eventually). The Crosstown (even its surface street sections) is another animal massively above Spadina and St Clair which weren't as "wow" in performance upgrade. Crosstown has metro performance characteristics that are WAY above Spadina and for St.Clair. Massively. Once people realize that, voters will demand metroification of at least one TTC streetcar corridor, as a cheap add-on "subway substitute". Crosstown is literally Toronto's version of "Calgary C-Train" in surface-intersection efficiency. People people will start recognizing that. That eventually flows down to the electorate. And masterplanners. And some future public information center. It is beyond current 25-year masterplan (TTC has no plans for example) but it's an extant route, and sometimes extant routes gets unexpected upgrades (Example: King Pilot)

Likelihood Factor Increase: Eventually in some future warm-to-"upgrade-a-streetcar-route-to-an-LRT" era (thanks to witnessing true full-metro-league LRTs, rather than half hearted stuff like Spadina or St.Clair), some politician gives out candy that voters bite, domino falls, and so on, number of years later, metroified streetcar line appears (much cheaper & easier route than the TTC-operated Crosstown). Just see bullet list in my previous post and the emerging likelihood collision factor -- so many signals/flags (railroad pun intended) that it's obvious. Even those who say it will never happen concede it's a very unmistakable likelihood-index change, much like "1 in 100 chance" turning into "1 in 5 chance" (cherrypick whatever numbers you prefer, but the pressure is towards likelihood-increase). It's just a matter of time though that "eventual future" lens.

What's happening is early-canary stuff. The new efficient Ontario LRTs could be viewed as razor-and-blades strategy that will get more people (voters!) demanding metroification of at least one streetcar route.

And yes, TTC will get to operate it, no matter who funds the metroification of a streetcar route.

(Definition: Turning streetcar route into a metro-style LRT = full LRT spec, with (A) full transit priority and (B) all-doors subway-style level boarding to (C) a "train" of multiple vehicles, (D) rapid-transit frequency, (E) six-figure ridership per day, (F) and rapid-transit speed/performance. Think Calgary C-Train, if you've ever ridden the Calgary C-Train in the downtown section)

The Ontario line will run under Queen if it ever gets built and the Queen Streetcar will continue to run above it as they will both have different readerships. Having only two stops on Queen street hardly justifies getting rid of Streetcars on Queen or king.
Correct, I know.

To clarify what I meant by my sentence: I meant it's easier to upgrade only King streetcar route to full metro-league standards, than to do two separate lightweight upgrades of King streetcar and Queen streetcar (e.g. close off Queen and King while keeping them streetcars-only).

Basically that sentence, actually meant to say it is easier to close off only one streetcar route (to cars) than two of them (to cars), and in exchange for upgrading only one streetcar route getting a more supercharged metro-league upgrade instead instead of a simpler St.Clair/Spadina style upgrade (single vehicle, no transit priority, no consists, no level boarding).

Metaphorically, picture a preference between:
(A) Nonstarter: Block off both Queen/King to most vehicles like a TOC streetcar corridor but keep it streetcar-league operation (no all-doors level boarding, no transit priority, simpler bus stops, no consist operations, only half hearted efficiency)
(B) Easier ask: Block off only King lanes to all vehicles except intersections/emergency vehicles (true transit corridor) and upgrade only King to metro-league standards (60-to-90 meter consists, Calgary C-Train style operation, all-doors subway-style wheel-on level boarding, full transit priority, no cars allowed on tracks except at intersections)

Capacity improvement of (B) is bigger than (A) because of the consist operations, despite only one corridor instead of two blocked-off to cars, because of other upgrades (consist/metro style operation). The major upgrade of one route, exceeds minor upgrade of two routes. It's achievable -- let's remember Calgary C-Train pushes 300,000 people per day through a single downtown corridor through surface intersections. That's several times more than TTC's busiest streetcar route. That said, not necessarily that length of consist (just 2-coach or 3-coach long) and you can still double ridership along King -- and do it relatively cheaply compared to adding a 6th or 7th subway in that future era.

I already meant that Queen subway / DRL / Ontario Line (whatever goes under Queen) would continue get built, and obviously the Queen streetcars would still continue to run above. But Ontario Line won't be enough for the next 20 to 50 years (even if it gets upgraded to the larger TTC trains at full 6-coach length). There will need to be multiple metro-league lines downtown within 50 years anyway.

In other words: What I wrote is an add-on, and does not replace anything (just upgrades a streetcar route). Basically, it's a bonus, a frosting, an add-on, nothing else gets lost.

Nobody is losing anything (except, well, perhaps, the chance to drive on King in the downtown section). About losing car lane to get upgraded mass-transit (more people transported in corridor) -- the voters of either 2030, 2040, 2050 or 2060 won't be nearly as against that then, as they are today. In fact by one of those years, it may be easier politically and less contentious than today's King Pilot! (Thanks to the bullet list I wrote in my previous post)

Last edited:

Back