News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

My main concern with using a phone as a transit pass is being worried about being stranded if the battery runs out.

My main concern with using a phone as a transit pass is being worried about being stranded if the battery runs out.

Like being stranded when you lose your Presto Card? Every method has its downfall. No single method is foolproof. I see no reason to fear using a phone just because a battery may die out, when you are just as likely to drop a card, lose a wallet, run out of change etc.

(I for one have left my wallet at home more times than I have allowed my cell phone to completely run out of juice)

Like being stranded when you lose your Presto Card? Every method has its downfall. No single method is foolproof. I see no reason to fear using a phone just because a battery may die out, when you are just as likely to drop a card, lose a wallet, run out of change etc.
Just as likely? I've never lost a transit pass in my life, dating back to 1980. I've had a couple of lost wallets in those years, but fortunately never during a period I had a pass. So worst case is 2 losses in 35 years.

I easily have more occasions like that in some weeks, when I pull out my phone, and discover it's not on, middle of rebooting, or out of power.

And then there's the days, I swap my Metropass with my wife's Prestocard, because she'll take 3-4 trips that day, and I'll only take 2. That's not going to work with a phone.

And then there's the days, I swap my Metropass with my wife's Prestocard, because she'll take 3-4 trips that day, and I'll only take 2. That's not going to work with a phone.

Might work a lot easier actually. You don't need the physical phone, just a copy of the virtual card.

This is also a challenge for the TTC (and banks and retailers and ...)

Using a phone actually makes it easier, since all you would have to do is sign in under the same account. That also opens up the possibility of doing a "Family" Presto account, where multiple cards are linked to the same ePurse, much in the way the family plans for cell phones work now, where a family shares a pool of data.

Imagine not even needing to meet up with the wife to grab her pass... like you would be able to do with a pass on your phone. She can go to work, and then you can sign into her account from home and make your own trip, all without having to exchange a physical pass. Much easier!

Imagine not even needing to meet up with the wife to grab her pass... like you would be able to do with a pass on your phone. She can go to work, and then you can sign into her account from home and make your own trip, all without having to exchange a physical pass. Much easier!
Easier for me - but I can't imagine TTC is going to go for a system that does allow people to essentially share a pass at almost the same time.

Does that Presto transfer dispenser actually work? I've never been able to get anything from it.

Got this Friday afternoon from the Presto transfer dongle. Seemed to work well.
20160222_140359~2.jpg

Attachments

• 20160222_140359~2.jpg
    20160222_140359~2.jpg
    922.8 KB · Views: 532
Are there now any valid transfers to vehicles without Presto readers? Will there ever be?
You mean the one on the new streetcars? Yes, it works...you just tap your Presto card. For the 509 and 510 there are valid transfers to the 94 and the 6 Bay buses that don't have readers.

The moment I can put Presto, credit and debit cards into Apple Pay in my phone is the moment I ditch this wallet. Here's to the future!
I'm holding out for virtual driver's license and health card as well, but yeah, I'd love to ditch my wallet.

Back