News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It often feels like the 510 Spadina might have too many streetcars running on it, I was out filming the Flexities yesterday and remember watching 3 or 4 streetcars go Northbound before the first came South. If they better managed the route they could probably move some of the cars to other routes and still maintain good frequency.

I concur. I ride this line or walk by it every day and I routinely see bunching. Then again, I routinely encounter full streetcars as well, and this argues against "too many" cars on this line.
Could just be piss-poor line management.

Last edited:
I think the number of cars is fine--it's solely an issue of poor (or, rather, nonexistent) route management.

I think it also has to do with not being able to get streetcars through Spadina fast enough, so the cars line up entering the station snd can't stay on schedule, Spadina needs to be modified to allow for two streetcars to fit at once.

I think it also has to do with not being able to get streetcars through Spadina fast enough, so the cars line up entering the station snd can't stay on schedule, Spadina needs to be modified to allow for two streetcars to fit at once.
last night around 7:15 I was waiting to turn left from Bremner onto Spadina....during my light cycle 3 different flexities hit the intersection NB within 1 minute of each other going northbound.....not surprisingly, only the first one was even half full....the ones following had no one to pick up, I guess. I suspect the other place bunching occurs is the turn onto Spadina NB....route management has as much to contribute to car crowding as anything....you can't blame people for piling on to the first car they see....leaving (in this case) the next two to operate virtually empty.....poor use of resources.

I think the number of cars is fine--it's solely an issue of poor (or, rather, nonexistent) route management.

More likely the non-existent transit priority at the signal intersections. The all important single-occupant automobile making left turns still get priority ahead of the 100+ in the streetcar.

From point 3 on page 3 of this report:

"The delivery of 76 cars in 2018 and 58 cars in 2019 will require an average delivery rate of approximately one car every 3.3 days and 4.4 days respectively. To obtain this production capacity, Bombardier is transferring production of some of the underframes and cabs to plants in La Pocatière, Quebec; Bautzen, Germany; and Vienna, Austria. Bombardier is also in the process of moving the existing Metrolinx production line from Thunder Bay to Kingston to leave room to increase capacity of their existing TTC assembly line by the end of Q1 2017."

It sounds like Bombardier will have a second line in Thunder Bay for Flexities by March or April 2017. It also seems that Bombardier's European plants are being brought into play along with La Pocatière to help resolve problems in Mexico. Forty streetcars delivered in 2017 will require roughly one per week. The sooner they get the second line going in Thunder Bay, the better. 2017 should be an interesting year!

I liked this point on the second last page:

"TTC staff, in any negotiations on damages, liquidated or otherwise, to consider as a priority additional LRV’s as compensation; Status: To be included in the negotiation."

If I'm reading it correctly, Toronto could end up with more than 204 + 60 streetcars in the end, with some additional streetcars as compensation for delays.

I also wonder if it might be helpful, provided Bombardier does continue to meet their newly revised schedule, to suggest a yet additional order of streetcars may come after the 60 streetcar option is exercised. Bombardier would have an incentive (carrot rather than just stick) to ramp up production. From what I understand, 264 streetcars will not be sufficient if the City gets its act together on a QQE line.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...rdier-could-miss-2019-streetcar-deadline.html

Another Star article; not too much new stuff except the following:

"As of Wednesday, the TTC had 27 new streetcars on its property, according to Ross. Under Bombardier’s most recent revised schedule, it’s supposed to have 30 by the end of the year.

Lefebvre said that the three outstanding vehicles are already en route to Toronto. The 30th left the company’s plant in Thunder Bay, Ont. on Wednesday morning and is expected to arrive next week."

I liked this point on the second last page:

...Toronto could end up with more than 204 + 60 streetcars in the end, with some additional streetcars as compensation for delays.

That would be nice! It's about time the TTC got a bit of a break.

Two LFLRVs can fit quite comfortably on the platform at Spadina. The issue is entirely up to the (lack of) route management.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Not relly well they can fit on it the front door of the front one are past the galls covering the tunnel entrance so they have to wait for the car picking up to leave before the car behind can even let anyone off.

It's probably too much to ask but would there be any way to add a parallel track or second platform?
if they removed the glass panels at the end of the load platform it wouldgive tthemenoug sspace they werer only ther becuse of the rea ed dswing of the CLRVS and ALRVS the LFRVS didn't swing out the same way at the rear as they old ones do

Back