News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Maybe that's due to the locality of the plant?Buy American? Looking at the buyers indicated on that map; Siemens is German, Kinki Sharyo is Japanese and Alstom in French. Sure, these foreign firms may source some parts or assembly in the USA, Bombardier would/could do the same, but let's not suggest that buying LRTs from Siemens is buying American. Buying American is this firm, defunct two years ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Streetcar
What about these guys, currently delivering to Detroit? http://www.brookvillecorp.com/streetcar-modern.asp

I have been enjoying riding these new cars, but have questions that maybe some here may be able to help me with. First, is there any rhyme or reason behind the door beeps and chimes? Sometimes they beep, sometimes they chime, and when they chime they may chime once or they may do the usual Toronto three-tone chime. I was trying to figure it all out by observation, but just when I think I get why I heard a beep or one or the other of the chimes at one or more of the doors, it seems that I didn't figure it out after all.

Also, I'm interested in the headlights on the front and why they may have the pattern that they do (a four-dot square near each side, then a three-dot triangle nearing the middle, and finally the straight horizontal lines nearest the center). There may not be any particular reason, but I just find this interesting as well. Thanks in advance!

I have been enjoying riding these new cars, but have questions that maybe some here may be able to help me with. First, is there any rhyme or reason behind the door beeps and chimes? Sometimes they beep, sometimes they chime, and when they chime they may chime once or they may do the usual Toronto three-tone chime. I was trying to figure it all out by observation, but just when I think I get why I heard a beep or one or the other of the chimes at one or more of the doors, it seems that I didn't figure it out after all.

Also, I'm interested in the headlights on the front and why they may have the pattern that they do (a four-dot square near each side, then a three-dot triangle nearing the middle, and finally the straight horizontal lines nearest the center). There may not be any particular reason, but I just find this interesting as well. Thanks in advance!

Lights--that's just the design.

Door chimes--the operator has two main buttons to control the doors, "enable" which makes them open individually when a passenger presses the button on the door, and "all doors", which opens all of the doors. The doors chime/beep once to indicate a) they are opening, or b) they are closing in 'enable' mode based on the sensors reading nobody entering/exiting, or c) they were in "all doors" mode and are changing to "enable" mode. They do the Toronto 3-tone chime to close when the operator manually closes them, i.e. they are in "all doors" mode and the op presses the "all doors" button, or they are in "enable" mode and the op hits "enable" again. Sometimes to save a second, when they're open in "all doors" mode, the op presses "enable" so that they chime only once instead of the three-tone chime, then hits "enable" again once they're closed to just instantly lock them with no further chime.

Lights--that's just the design.

Door chimes--the operator has two main buttons to control the doors, "enable" which makes them open individually when a passenger presses the button on the door, and "all doors", which opens all of the doors. The doors chime/beep once to indicate a) they are opening, or b) they are closing in 'enable' mode based on the sensors reading nobody entering/exiting, or c) they were in "all doors" mode and are changing to "enable" mode. They do the Toronto 3-tone chime to close when the operator manually closes them, i.e. they are in "all doors" mode and the op presses the "all doors" button, or they are in "enable" mode and the op hits "enable" again. Sometimes to save a second, when they're open in "all doors" mode, the op presses "enable" so that they chime only once instead of the three-tone chime, then hits "enable" again once they're closed to just instantly lock them with no further chime.

Thank you for your reply and for this information. So for example typically when the vehicle arrives into a busy stop, you hear two distinctly different sounds before the doors open (without passenger involvement). First you hear a beep (no door movement), then right away (about 1 second later) the chime (with the doors finally opening). Did the operator have to press both buttons to get the doors open or was it enough to just tap the "all doors" button and that one button made the two separate sounds one right after the other?

Also, if one hears the three chimes, does that mean that the doors will be locked upon closure or that the operator still needs to shift over back to enable mode to accomplish that?

Thank you for your reply and for this information. So for example typically when the vehicle arrives into a busy stop, you hear two distinctly different sounds before the doors open (without passenger involvement). First you hear a beep (no door movement), then right away (about 1 second later) the chime (with the doors finally opening). Did the operator have to press both buttons to get the doors open or was it enough to just tap the "all doors" button and that one button made the two separate sounds one right after the other?

Also, if one hears the three chimes, does that mean that the doors will be locked upon closure or that the operator still needs to shift over back to enable mode to accomplish that?

Ah, if you're referring to that extremely high-pitched, loud noise, that's automatically played whenever the doors open/"enable" is engaged/they switch to "enable" from "all doors".

If you hear the traditional three chimes, that means the doors are completely closing, and unless the operator decides to re-open them, they're staying closed. They can be interrupted during that process if someone blocks one from closing, naturally.

What they are not winning is in the USA - which could have more to do with Buy America than anything else - given that we've been inundated with reports from various US systems being delayed because of late delivery of vehicles.

They may not be winning many tenders for their LRVs south of the border, but they seem to be doing pretty decently for subways and heavy rail equipment.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

7oow2huezvvy.jpg

So what is this?

TTC 4436 is on its way from Thunder Bay. My CRO contact, Bryan Martyniuk, took this photo of the rear module of TTC 4436 on Saturday morning, May 6th, 2017. This view clearly shows the trolley pole, and after the 60th TTC
cr ttc4436-2.jpg
Flexity tram is delivered, the rest of the 204 tram order will only be equipped with pantographs. You can also clearly see the interior details. Bombardier spotted it at their gate on Saturday, for the CP local switcher to transfer it downtown to "E" yard. There it was staged for pickup by CP Train 420 for furtherance to TTC's Hillcrest Shops in Toronto. Bryan Martyniuk photo with permission.

Attachments

• cr ttc4436-2.jpg
    cr ttc4436-2.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 494
TTC 4436 is on its way from Thunder Bay. My CRO contact, Bryan Martyniuk, took this photo of the rear module of TTC 4436 on Saturday morning, May 6th, 2017. This view clearly shows the trolley pole, and after the 60th TTC View attachment 107954 Flexity tram is delivered, the rest of the 204 tram order will only be equipped with pantographs. You can also clearly see the interior details. Bombardier spotted it at their gate on Saturday, for the CP local switcher to transfer it downtown to "E" yard. There it was staged for pickup by CP Train 420 for furtherance to TTC's Hillcrest Shops in Toronto. Bryan Martyniuk photo with permission.

Could it really be??? Three streetcars delivered in May? Be still my beating heart! :rolleyes:

Ah, if you're referring to that extremely high-pitched, loud noise, that's automatically played whenever the doors open/"enable" is engaged/they switch to "enable" from "all doors".

If you hear the traditional three chimes, that means the doors are completely closing, and unless the operator decides to re-open them, they're staying closed. They can be interrupted during that process if someone blocks one from closing, naturally.
Another fun fact: pressing the door button outside when the doors aren't enabled activates the stop request chime (someone tried to get on my car today as it pulled away).

Another fun fact: pressing the door button outside when the doors aren't enabled activates the stop request chime (someone tried to get on my car today as it pulled away).
yes I've seen a few pole do that and then get mad because the door doesn't open because the driver has pulled a bit away from the stop. I've also seen poel do it too when they missed their stop and get mad because the door didn't open.

Back