News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I don't buy that. Once Finch West and the Eglinton Crosstown opens and people see what an LRT is really like, there will not be so much opposition to the SELRT anymore.

If politicians want to use Sheppard Subway to vote buy, they have lost their opportunity to do so. Unless it is fasttracked to 2018, but between SmartTrack, the Relief Line, and other regional projects that seems unlikely.

The next vote-buying attempt by politicians in the transit department will come in the form of a Yonge North Extension.

Its not the technology It's also how we implement.

Big difference between Finch West/Eglinton and Sheppard East LRT proposals if they don't convert the stubway. No one West of McCowan is going to get excited over any technology unless it's actually integrated in some fair manner.

I don't see any new LRT line making commuters along the stubway corridor asking for it to be changed to LRT, & I also don't see the majority along Sheppard getting excited either. And if there's not going to be a common sense plan tabled for LRT, Politicians will do what Politicians do and they will pander for votes. And I dont see that being LRT on Sheppard East.

I hope they'll convert Sheppard so the LRT can be run from Finch West thru Sheppard (around to Eglinton as well) but I would never bank on t our Politicians to do anything logical.. So subways it is.

Last edited:
Another John Tory transit step down. Just when I thought the subway couldn't get any dumber, now they are proposing to eliminate all but one station in order to save money (or perhaps it's another attempt to salvage Smart Track after they figured that moving the subway further east was not gonna work). In other words, it will be a one-stop subway extension from Kennedy to Scarborough Centre. Why even bother building a subway at all at this point?

The only glimmer of good news is that the money saved would be used to extend the Eglinton crossstown to the U of T campus. I guess it will follow the Transit City alignment.

Last edited:
New plan: Subway extension with only 1 new station (at STC), Crosstown LRT extension to UofT Scarborough:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ay-plan-includes-fewer-stops/article28280303/

A COMPROMISE for the LRT & Subway fanatics? As a Scarborough resident I fully support this revision. Still don't like the Sheppard - LRT/Subway hybrid hack job but atleast this connects to a broader network & transit will now reach out to the East & South East areas in desperate need of revitalization. This also puts the "heart of Scarborough" on the Subway map which is important for any future business.

Now that we may have a decent "plan" lets see if they can actually build it all or they are just trolling the poorer areas of Scarborough again only to cut funding thru-out the project.

A 6-km subway extension, underneath the Scarborough Hospital at Lawrence & McCowan, with no stop?

Perhaps the city really does hate Scarborough!

On the bright side, suddenly the Transit City Scarborough-Malvern LRT is back on the table.

Screen shot 2016-01-20 at 12.48.24 PM.png

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ay-plan-includes-fewer-stops/article28280303/

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-01-20 at 12.48.24 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-01-20 at 12.48.24 PM.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 514
I thought they were suppose to be adding one more stop, not getting rid of them. This project is becoming one big joke.

A 6-km subway extension, underneath the Scarborough Hospital at Lawrence & McCowan, with no stop?

Perhaps the city really does hate Scarborough!

On the bright side, suddenly the Transit City Scarborough-Malvern LRT is back on the table.

Yeah, seems somewhat surprising that it'd skip Lawrence. The 54 Lawrence East is our 11th busiest surface route. If anything I'd think that ST / Stouffville RER would skip Lawrence, considering the high speed commuter-style nature of its service. But not for Line 2, which is an actual rapid transit system.

They are finding anyway to try and justify Smart Track.
My thoughts, exactly.

This is going to be terrible PR for the Mayor. Headlines tomorrow morning:

Star: "Tory backtracks on transit... again"
Sun: "One stop subway for 2.5 billion"
Globe: "Tory reopens transit debate, after closing it"

Last edited:
If they go with this plan, they really must be damned sure to not exclude the possibility of infill stations at a later point. So routing would still be important, as would tunnel design, I imagine.

Eminem has some comments on Scarborough transit planning:

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 525
Since I can't seem to find it myself, I will ask....what's the comparative boarding at Lawrence versus STC for the current RT? What does it do to the bus ridership to Kennedy if all the Lawrence patrons have to ride the bus down to Kennedy?

Sure seems like half a loaf......and may be a bit cynical, if one assumes that the continuing pressure to build the other stations will prevail at some point....claim it's cheaper now but get the rest anyways.

How long will it take Scarboro to change their tune and cry that Toronto doesn't love them because they gave them a subway but won't let them have enough stations????

I would rather see the entire subway built all the way to Sheppard, with stops, than this version.

- Paul

Back