News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Sorry. Don't feel bad at all.

Why was he on the job in the first place if his health was that bad?

TTC, to cut costs, puts drivers with long-term health issues into ticket booths and other light duty jobs, with doctor approval, instead of sending them home.

At first i found the picture funny, but then i thought why didn't anyone wake him up just to be sure he passed out or dead, The guy who took the pic wanted to do no harm but the pic made it all over the net and front page of the Toronto's #1 gossip paper the Toronto Sun. And what kEiThZ said about how he shouldn't be working if he had health problems is bullshit, You can still work even with health problems on light duty jobs, maybe that's why he was in a booth and not driving a subway.

No need to feel so strongly about this issue! When taken at face value, this guy's apparent nap perfectly exemplified what the public was already angry about, and it occurred at a time when the level of anger was at its peak. Without knowing any better, there couldn't have been a more perfect scape goat. Without knowing any better, the union's staunch support of this man angered the public even more.

I'm certain that every one of us who were complaining at the time are saddened by his death. If given the chance, we would take back what we said about this particular employee and apologize. Seriously, this city is not inhabited by a bunch of heartless trolls. All we want is better customer service.

Except we did know better. Within a day the union reported on the man's ill health, and yet the shameful attacks continued.

If he had health issues, he should be taking a leave. I think the public wasn't upset at him so much as for the system it self.

Let me tell a story. Last week I was taking a bus. It was late. There was suppose to be a bus every half hour but it turned into 40 minutes. A young man was cursing and ended up taking an alternate bus. While on the bus, there was some sort of argument between another young man and a bus driver. I don't know exactly what the argument was but the driver suddenly stopped the bus and opened the door. Telling the person to get off. But then started driving again with the door open and telling the guy to get off. So he jumped off a moving bus... As a driver, he/she is responsible for all the passengers on the bus no matter what the issue is. Letting a person jump off a moving vehicle is dangerous.

Call me a jerk, but I don't know if I believe this story.

No need to feel so strongly about this issue! When taken at face value, this guy's apparent nap perfectly exemplified what the public was already angry about, and it occurred at a time when the level of anger was at its peak. Without knowing any better, there couldn't have been a more perfect scape goat. Without knowing any better, the union's staunch support of this man angered the public even more.

I'm certain that every one of us who were complaining at the time are saddened by his death. If given the chance, we would take back what we said about this particular employee and apologize. Seriously, this city is not inhabited by a bunch of heartless trolls. All we want is better customer service.

Well said.

Call me a jerk, but I don't know if I believe this story.

I can give you the exact date and time. It was Nov 22. I was at Downsview station around 12:15pm waiting for the 108 bus going up to Dufferin and Steeles. The bus drove by and parked on the side of the station. The young man that cursed said he was waiting since 11:50am for the bus. The bus schedule wrote there's a bus every half hour. 11:30am, 12pm, 12:30pm, etc. The bus drove over to pick up passengers around 12:31pm by Viva time (there was a machine with time on it). This situation occurred about 1-2 stations before Dufferin and Steeles I think. The female was a bus driver. She stopped the bus on the way out of the station to the street. I think someone threw her some keys cuz she went out to pick them up. Came back in an apologized.

I was looking out the window so I didn't know what was going on. Some loud sounds (argument) drew my attention. And I saw the situation with the driver and the teenager.

Last edited:
It's interesting how the Star chose to run a whole lot of stories like this in the lead up to Giambrone's run for mayor, and as soon as he dropped out all these stories stopped. When's the last time the paper ran a story about someone's bad experience with the TTC?

Except we did know better. Within a day the union reported on the man's ill health, and yet the shameful attacks continued.

The union didn't have much credibility for always defending its employees no matter what. But you're missing the fact that so much of the reaction was directed at the TTC, not the man. People were frustrated by the customer service issues they experiences and rudeness. In fact, most people probably never even learned his name. He had become a symbol of popular frustration with the TTC.

I hope the people who have ridiculed this man and turned him into a laughing stock feel guilty now.

No one can defend the sleeping (I don't), however was it necesarry to turn this guy into an internet meme? It's amazing how people make judgements based on small samples. As one user mentioned; the union reported that he did indeed have health problems the next day.. Yet the attacks still continued.

Maybe he wasn't deep in sleep. Could just be closing his eyes or taking a rest. I'm sure many others "slip" while on the job. But you wouldn't like me stepping into you're cubicle and snapping photos of you..

I dont know what health issues cause you to lean back and put your feet up and fall asleep. Come on he got into a position to sleep and then fell asleep.

i believe he was on some type(s) of heart medication(s). some types of medication you can use for your heart are affectively sleeping pills. whenever someone leans back and puts their feet up, is it always because they intend to go to sleep? the guy probably just got into a comfortable position. i don't believe he intended to go to sleep on the job. countless times, i've gone into offices where people were laid back in their chairs with their feet on the table and they're doing their jobs.

It's absolutely for real.

Given the guy died of a stroke, and according to reports was very stressed by the whole situation, it's hard to believe that there was no contribution from the incident to his stress levels.

The guy was clearly ill; instead of those who encountered him they secretly photographed him and published the photographs; without even bothering to check to see if he was okay.

The media then proceeded to make fun of him, even after it was revealed the guy had serious health issues.

I'm shocked at how depraved individuals can make fun of a sick man.

It's the kind of "me first" attitude we've seen from more and more people in recent years.

Hopefully Jason Wieler feels like some remorse from his shameful actions.

Jason Wieler did not cause this man's death. He did not cause his illness. Get off the soapbox. This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen here yet, even more exploitative of this man that other people on the internet have been. You exploit this man's death for fulfill your own agenda, you are as much a disgrace to humanity as those people.

Back