News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

I hear the school board may have some extra buildings to dispose of. Maybe the Chairman of the TTC can take over a kindergarten room in some old school downtown.

The management numbers have gone up while union jobs have actually gone down. In Harvey Shop for every 3 workers there is a Foreperson, these guys are tripping over themselves trying to catch workers doing something wrong so they can justify their jobs. About 10 years ago we only had around 10 Engineers in subways, now we have over 60 of them making over $100K a year....and in my opinion they are useless

I suspect that you're right. I know one department at a transit authority that has gone from having one manager to eight managers with the same number of actual employees. There are also three additional layers of management between manager and worker.

I just saw this issue covered on the CBC evening news. The site being proposed is indeed Yonge/York Mills. As part of the report they featured comments from Smitherman... as mentioned before he is against the proposal, but what really struck me was his arrogant, condescending and generally over the top indignant attitude. Up until now I had been suggesting him as our best hope for next mayor but this performance has totally put me off him. What a goof... totally pandering on this issue!

While I don't like Smitherman's stance, I see his pursuit of wedge issues (like TTC spending on a new HQ) as no different than a certain former candidate using a small bridge to one of the world's smallest airports as a wedge issue. This is politics. Unless you are running as the incumbent or with his blessing, it does you no good to keep endorsing his decisions and record.

While I don't like Smitherman's stance, I see his pursuit of wedge issues (like TTC spending on a new HQ) as no different than a certain former candidate using a small bridge to one of the world's smallest airports as a wedge issue. This is politics. Unless you are running as the incumbent or with his blessing, it does you no good to keep endorsing his decisions and record.

Yes but I as well thought Smitherman was our best bet and he wouldn't sink down to this level ... that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

What about tonight debate? Rob Ford's 'gay comment' from 4 years ago ... that made it even worse, why bring up something that if I recall was discussed to death at the time ... politics is why.

I'm telling you all now you'll miss Miller, even if you don't agree with any of his views (yes you might disagree with all of them) something about him comes off about him which expresses mayorness qualities :)

I think the York Mills and Yonge area would be good for the new office building planned for the TTC. The area is could easily accomodate a new building or two and the York Mills Station has a good bus platform in that building on the North/East corner. I imagine the planned TTC building would be on the North/West corner where a parking lot exists now and has an access tunnel to the subway station I believe already.

Also not sure if present TTC headquarters might fall under as a historic building so it can not be touched or modified

Though there's leeway for "touched and modified", I'm almost certain TTC HQ would make the heritage cut--even though it might be the most incredibly stodgy piece of 1950s in Toronto. And besides, the place is probably built like a pillbox, so why bother wasting money and energy on demolition...

I just saw this issue covered on the CBC evening news. The site being proposed is indeed Yonge/York Mills. As part of the report they featured comments from Smitherman... as mentioned before he is against the proposal, but what really struck me was his arrogant, condescending and generally over the top indignant attitude. Up until now I had been suggesting him as our best hope for next mayor but this performance has totally put me off him. What a goof... totally pandering on this issue!

Here's his extended scrum video: http://watch.ctv.ca/news/clip298278#clip298278

What a disappointing knee jerk attempt to get attention. :\

thanks for that link... on an extended look it wasnt quite as bad as I first thought. I guess the evening news selected the most outrageous parts for their report! I just dont know why he has to shout and speak in such hyperbolic tones. What do I know, I have no media savvy!

Thanks for that! ... didn't see the complete clip in the past.

Yea, and here I was hoping it was part of a larger context i.e. "if the ttc is moving to save money that's one thing but if they're moving to -- insert his actual comment here --"

meh..

TTC has space or will have space when the H's cars get retire. Cheaper to lay new tracks to store these cars and convert them to office spaces. You lay a roof on top of the cars, box in the bottom and the end. A few $100,000 is better than spending million on plush office setting.

Until there is enough money to service riders needs first, TTC can deal with hand me downs to do their job.

Since riders are paying the wages of TTC, it time riders start demanding more accountability for their money.

Next to go after is Metrolinx as we have too many fat cats eating money up like there no tomorrow.

Note to Smitherman: Giambrone isn't running anymore. He's out. OK?
And money is being spent on leasing. If the situation doesn't change, money will be spent on bringing the McBrien Building at Davisville to fire code. Why the hell not consolidate TTC management into one building? For example, the Transit City Department is leasing space at 5160 Yonge Street. It's probably a pain in the ass if things have to move between the two places, even though they may be by subway stations.

What about tonight debate? Rob Ford's 'gay comment' from 4 years ago ... that made it even worse, why bring up something that if I recall was discussed to death at the time ... politics is why.

Why? Because it's a pretty sick comment and people should be aware that he isn't the parsimonious moderate that he's making himself out to be.

Why? Because it's a pretty sick comment and people should be aware that he isn't the parsimonious moderate that he's making himself out to be.

I'm no fan of Smitherman, but people need to realize that Rob Ford's thoughts on AIDS and gay people are dangerous and based on lies. His belief that only gay men and drug users get AIDS and that women get AIDS if the men they sleep with are bisexual? Honestly, this scares me. Over the years he's had the opportunity to educate himself on the subject. When pressed to explain his remarks from four years ago, he wouldn't even apologize; instead he points to his oh-so-wonderful record, which has nothing to do with the topic.

The Yonge & Wilson parking lot is a fine spot for an office building like TTC HQ, though the excellent 401 access the site has may not bode well for generating actual transit usage, especially since it'd replace a TTC parking lot. The vacant NW corner of Yonge & Sheppard (one small site and the bus bays) might be a better location, as would the Eglinton bus bay site. If a building is going to be built (and surely there's no real need to) it should be built in an area that would actually benefit from it...the Yonge & Wilson parking lot isn't hurting anyone and isn't an eyesore/void in the urban fabric like the other sites are.

Back