News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I like to think that there are more honest people in Toronto that pay their fair then there are dishonest ones that I would like to thank personally for raising the fare for us that do pay.
Well...
I guess the only effective deterrent would be to install a pain field that shoots out taser level electrodes at anyone that is sensed to have jumped the gate lol

There should be a camera on the gate - which will be automatically engaged if the gate is triggered without payment on the ingress side.

Oddly enough, I have noticed an instance in Barcelona where the way to cheat fare was to trigger the sensor by throwing an object (backpack) over the gate to the other side.

AoD

Additional fare-gate fun. Folks are discovering you can trip the exit sensor from the enter side:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...umbrella-but-don-t-try-it-ttc-warns-1.4057479

Lol, finally Torontonians are figuring out how to trick the fare gates. I posted a similar video over a year ago, showing how to trick them.
This video is courtesy of the people in Stockholm, Sweden (http://planka.nu/). The same tricks apply to our new Presto fare gates (until tap-out becomes the norm).

EDIT: In Stockholm's defence, they do have plainclothes fare inspectors on board subway trains conducting random inspections, as well as uniformed inspectors stationed at the top of escalator banks at downtown stations.
(Note that their fare gates have a loud alarm if the doors are held open too long. I wonder if our's do?)

Something I noticed with tap-out, is the possiblity of the TTC installing fare gates at stations with (currently) fare-paid bus terminals. Eg. in the passageways at Sheppard-Yonge, York Mills, Finch, Wilson, etc, where there had previously been no fare barriers at all (except Sheppard station).

Last edited:
I've noticed that the new gates for the elevators at North York Centre are still being left open and unpowered, no sign of why this is the case.

There is one gate at St. Clair West station Heath entrance that is always open. Everyone walks by in the morning and flashes their pass to the fare collector in the booth in the distance. I don't get why it's open. The reader is there and most of the time it's showing green.

There is one gate at St. Clair West station Heath entrance that is always open. Everyone walks by in the morning and flashes their pass to the fare collector in the booth in the distance. I don't get why it's open. The reader is there and most of the time it's showing green.
probably just people being lazy and not wanting to swipe there card

Of course but my question is why does the TTC not fix the gate. It's been like this for months. That entrance is only staffed during weekdays. Outside of weekdays it's easy to get in without any fare paid.

Of course but my question is why does the TTC not fix the gate. It's been like this for months. That entrance is only staffed during weekdays. Outside of weekdays it's easy to get in without any fare paid.

well 3 possibilities:
-bureacratic red tape for repair scheduling
-general apathy for presto gates s
-noone has reported it up yet

I suspect 1 and 2. The attendant likely reported it. But no one cares or red tape to fix.

It's probably been fixed many times. The two "accessible" gates at Woodbine are frequently broken, as well. But I've also seen them fixed quite a few times, so I know that the crews are going around and taking care of them.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It's probably been fixed many times. The two "accessible" gates at Woodbine are frequently broken, as well. But I've also seen them fixed quite a few times, so I know that the crews are going around and taking care of them.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
I don't get why these gates can't be reset by the collector. In London if a gate fails, the station supervisor would just open up the access panel inside the fare gate and punch in a code for it to reset the gates. Why can't this responsibility be placed on the collector since it impacts revenue with so many OOS gates throughout the system?

IMG_0585.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    411.6 KB · Views: 265
Last edited by a moderator:
Probably wasn't called for on the specs.
It is a pretty expensive option when you add it all up. Then again it could be down to archaic s.o.p. once again

Probably wasn't called for on the specs.
It is a pretty expensive option when you add it all up. Then again it could be down to archaic s.o.p. once again
Good grief.

BTW, I'm just back from London with kids. I was using the wheelchair gates all the time, because kids with adults are free there, and the procedure there to get kids in and out, is to use those gates (rather than the silly idea of giving all the kids a card, that charges $0). Not once did I see the gate I needed broken.

But also, I didn't see them trying to put people in both directions through the same gate. So each fare line had 2 wheelchair gates - 1 in each direction. And the gates looked a bit more sturdy than ours.

Also, I never saw a fare line, that didn't have an employee standing near it, to assist (like the one occasion my wife tried to use the regular fare gate, and lost the 4 year old, who got through, and she didn't).

Byford knows all this stuff - so why do we have appear to have messed this up here?

Good grief.

BTW, I'm just back from London with kids. I was using the wheelchair gates all the time, because kids with adults are free there, and the procedure there to get kids in and out, is to use those gates (rather than the silly idea of giving all the kids a card, that charges $0). Not once did I see the gate I needed broken.

But also, I didn't see them trying to put people in both directions through the same gate. So each fare line had 2 wheelchair gates - 1 in each direction. And the gates looked a bit more sturdy than ours.

Also, I never saw a fare line, that didn't have an employee standing near it, to assist (like the one occasion my wife tried to use the regular fare gate, and lost the 4 year old, who got through, and she didn't).

Byford knows all this stuff - so why do we have appear to have messed this up here?

weret the former fare collectors supposed to be repurposed as ambassadors and assistants?

The fare gates are off-the-shelf for the most part, made by Scheidt & Bachmann. Other cities - Boston, for example - use very similar fare gates from the same company without all these problems.

Back