News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

How did that Handmaiden get past the Presto gates?

Handmaids-TTC-2-803x0-c-default.jpg

Isnt it possible those unused booths are structural and hence cant be removed?
nope theyre just glass surroundings. at best there could be some block wall but they bear no structure above. they just probably figured to keep it as is for the time being as demoing it would be quite messy and time consuming

Will there be a "garage sale" of the old turnstiles?
I would expect so... considering that old street name signs are auctioned. With some of those turnstiles being 60+ years old, they could fetch quite a bit of cash. Would love to hear some information about the city's official intentions with these...

I'm also interested in hearing about other TA's experiences with similar new S-B fare gates (eg. how fast the gates open, failure rate, etc.) Edinburgh has the same gates as us.
Edinburgh S-B fare gate.png
(St. Enoch Station. Source: www.youtube.com/watch?v=n87OzdHuUGI)

Ottawa's implementation will be interesting as well. Btw, their accessible gates appear to be much longer than ours.
Carling_station_fare_gates_decal_placement.JPG

(Carling Station. Source: www.octranspo.com/images/files/news/Carling_station_fare_gates_decal_placement.JPG )

As well, the TTC absolutely needs to dedicate specific lanes either for entry or exit only. Otherwise, there will be major problems at busy stations such as Dundas and Queen, and even more so Union.

Attachments

• Edinburgh S-B fare gate.png
    729.4 KB · Views: 504
    729.4 KB · Views: 227
    729.4 KB · Views: 282
Ottawa's implementation will be interesting as well. Btw, their accessible gates appear to be much longer than ours.
Carling_station_fare_gates_decal_placement.JPG

(Carling Station. Source: www.octranspo.com/images/files/news/Carling_station_fare_gates_decal_placement.JPG )

Ottawa's accessible gate configuration is exactly the same as the installations in Toronto.

What is different - at least with their installations thus far - is that they seem to be prioritizing the installation of accessible gates over the standard ones. This may be because the installations thus far have been with only a small handful of machines in small locations.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

nope theyre just glass surroundings. at best there could be some block wall but they bear no structure above. they just probably figured to keep it as is for the time being as demoing it would be quite messy and time consuming

That's what closing the stations, which it did, are for.

AoD

No more...

Actually, some stations are keeping the turnstile exits. I saw them at Wilson a while ago. It was a really weird setup - the entrance turnstiles are now entrance/exit fare gates, but the exit turnstiles right beside them weren't changed. I feel like a few other stations - Sheppard-Yonge and Finch come to mind - are also going to keep some of their exit turnstiles.

That's what closing the stations, which it did, are for.

AoD
Presumably, until there are no more tickets, tokens and cash fares they still need collectors in their booths. Only when we move 100% to PRESTO and the Collectors are wandering around can their booths go.

Presumably, until there are no more tickets, tokens and cash fares they still need collectors in their booths. Only when we move 100% to PRESTO and the Collectors are wandering around can their booths go.
Judging by the odd spacing in some of the stations, I do expect a later phase in some locations of removing ticket booths, and perhaps placing some more gates.

Actually, some stations are keeping the turnstile exits. I saw them at Wilson a while ago. It was a really weird setup - the entrance turnstiles are now entrance/exit fare gates, but the exit turnstiles right beside them weren't changed. I feel like a few other stations - Sheppard-Yonge and Finch come to mind - are also going to keep some of their exit turnstiles.
Could be a temporary situation so they can get machines at all entrance by year-end, and then come back and clean up.

Ottawa's accessible gate configuration is exactly the same as the installations in Toronto.

What is different - at least with their installations thus far - is that they seem to be prioritizing the installation of accessible gates over the standard ones. This may be because the installations thus far have been with only a small handful of machines in small locations.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Actually, the Ottawa accessible gates in the photo above are indeed longer than the TTC gates. You'll notice the flaps on the accessible gates in the Ottawa photo are able to open nearly all the way while the flaps on the TTC accessible gate contact the stainless steel side of the gate and protrude into the aisle when open.

Ottawa's gates are the Scheidt and Bachmann FareGo PG|40 model while TTC is using the shorter PG|20 version mentioned here:
https://www.scheidt-bachmann.de/fil...n-systems/FareGo/Flyer_FareGo_Gate_PG40_E.pdf

Actually, the Ottawa accessible gates in the photo above are indeed longer than the TTC gates. You'll notice the flaps on the accessible gates in the Ottawa photo are able to open nearly all the way while the flaps on the TTC accessible gate contact the stainless steel side of the gate and protrude into the aisle when open.

Ottawa's gates are the Scheidt and Bachmann FareGo PG|40 model while TTC is using the shorter PG|20 version mentioned here:
https://www.scheidt-bachmann.de/fil...n-systems/FareGo/Flyer_FareGo_Gate_PG40_E.pdf

Interesting....I hadn't noticed the gates being longer than the ones in Toronto, at least at the two stations I'd used. I'll pay closer attention next time.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back