News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

New summer (is it really summer?) Ride Guide Lite above shows changes to 501.

Image below is from "Winter"
IMG_20230512_191240~2.jpg

Last edited:
TTC non-payment of fare fines were on the debate agenda at council this evening............

Nothing changed, just yet.........

But after a debate in which councillor Cheng said........something along the lines of ....but people who don't pay for parking do it by accident.....but TTC...
(rolls eyes); the assumption seems to be that all non-payment is fare-gate jumping or illegal entry at stations.

But in fact, at least some is the boarding of un-gated surface vehicles and is indeed honest forgetting. Particularly on streetcars where all-door boarding is permitted, you may be inclined to grab a seat right away and not delay anyone behind you; and what you should do, of course, is immediately tap thereafter if that occurs.

I expect most people who 'cheat' the TTC mean to, but some do not.
I don't think its so much different with parking.

Regardless, both are absolute liability offenses, meaning that intent or lack thereof is not a defense in court.
So the fine should be identical or at least proportionate to $ lost.

At the end of the whole exercise, this is what passed:

View attachment 476417

and

View attachment 476415

and

View attachment 476416
Does the TTC and city have a say over fines or is it something that is set by the province?

But in fact, at least some is the boarding of un-gated surface vehicles and is indeed honest forgetting. Particularly on streetcars where all-door boarding is permitted, you may be inclined to grab a seat right away and not delay anyone behind you; and what you should do, of course, is immediately tap thereafter if that occurs.

I expect most people who 'cheat' the TTC mean to, but some do not.
I don't think its so much different with parking.

Regardless, both are absolute liability offenses, meaning that intent or lack thereof is not a defense in court.
So the fine should be identical or at least proportionate to $ lost.

It’s a historical fact that the two offenses were developed in separate policy and thought paths without any direct comparison or equilibration. That in itself is not surprising, and I suspect there are many unrelated but arguably comparable offenses that have never been similarly benchmarked, either. The agenda of comparing transit to automobile as a matter of equity is pretty recent.

The traditional formula for deterrence goes something like (perveived probability of an undesirable outcome x severity of offense)

In my neck of the woods, I could easily evade TTC fare payment 10 or more times in a row without encountering enforcement. But the Parking Control Officers are much more present - I sometimes wonder whether the Green P app actually tells them where parking time has just expired, and I do see them lurking to observe if a parker buys a ticket or uses Green P. So while one may equate the offense, the fine may be different because the probability of being enforced differs. (I don’t abuse either, but I am much more fearful of forgetting to pay for parking as it’s closer to a certainty that I will be ticketed).

I happen to think that both deserve a fairly string deterrent. So equilibrating the two need not imply giving anyone a break.

- Paul

- Paul

Last edited:
It’s a historical fact that the two offenses were developed in separate policy and thought paths without any direct comparison or equilibration. That in itself is not surprising, and I suspect there are many unrelated but arguably comparable offenses that have never been similarly benchmarked, either. The agenda of comparing transit to automobile as a matter of equity is pretty recent.

The traditional formula for deterrence goes something like (perveived probability of an undesirable outcome x severity of offense)

In my neck of the woods, I could easily evade TTC fare payment 10 or more times in a row without encountering enforcement. But the Parking Control Officers are much more present - I sometimes wonder whether the Green P app actually tells them where parking time has just expired, and I do see them lurking to observe if a parker buys a ticket or uses Green P. So while one may equate the offense, the fine may be different because the probability of being enforced differs. (I don’t abuse either, but I am much more fearful of forgetting to pay for parking as it’s closer to a certainty that I will be ticketed).

I happen to think that both deserve a fairly string deterrent. So equilibrating the two need not imply giving anyone a break.

- Paul

- Paul
The Green P app does alert the user that the time is almost expiring, allowing them to extend the time (by paying for the additional time). Up to a maximum time or time of day. It will not allow the user to use the parking spot if during rush hours for example.

I sent this to both my councillor (Nunziata) and the TTC chair, and the TTC comments website, in regard to the 2024 service plan...
Would like to see the following improvements in the 2024 service plan (or earlier).

935 JANE EXPRESS should have stops at Jane Street & Annette Street. The BabyPoint area is a destination for many people.

36 DUPONT needs to have more frequent service. In addition, itm should be extended south on the South Kingway to The Queensway. Basically resurrecting the old 138 South Kingsway bus that was killed by Mike Harris' "Common Sense Revolution".

The 300B BLOOR-DANFORTH night currently uses Burhamthorpe Road as its west loop, should be extended to loop at Rathburn Road. It would then provide night service for current residents at the high rise building and further development that is comes around West Mall, East Mall, and Rathburn. The 300A uses the 427 to get to Pearson Airport, but it bypasses residences in the West Mall and Wellsworth neighbourhoods. Would be better if could use the 112 West Mall routing north of Rathurn to get to Eglinton Avenue before continuing north to Pearson Airport.

The reply...
We appreciate your interest in the 935 Jane Express route. We have received your request for additional stops at Annette Street. As part of the TTC's 5-Year Service Plan, we are currently reviewing stop patterns on all express routes, including the 935 Jane.

Rest assured that your request will be considered during the review process. If you would like to stay informed about updates regarding this Plan, please email planning@ttc.ca with the subject line "5-Year Service Plan & Customer Experience Action Plan".

Regarding the 26 Dupont and 55 Warren Park bus service. In 1996 the 138 South Kingsway was removed, and the 71 Runnymede was adjusted to serve South Kingsway and Ormskirk Avenue instead. Currently, 77 Swansea operates this service. As a result of the change, expanding services along South Kingsway would only provide about 1.5km of new coverage, most of which would already fall within our 400m coverage and access standard of the 77 Swansea or Line 2 Bloor-Danforth. Therefore, extending 26/55 south of Bloor Street or bringing back the 138 South Kingsway route, or any similar variation, would result in a significant overlap of services that are not currently warranted by the ridership needs in the area.

Also, our Service Planning team had previously evaluated a similar proposal. Their research revealed that extending the 26/55 south of Bloor Street or reintroducing the South Kingsway route would drastically reduce ridership for the 77 Swansea route. However, it was also found that the South Kingsway route would not have high ridership projections, so it was decided not to pursue that option at that time. In addition, although the pandemic has changed ridership patterns, we can still anticipate a significant service cut for the 77 route to facilitate the South Kingsway route.

We will continue to monitor ridership patterns in the area and on the 77 and make adjustments if needed.

We appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to respond.

2024 Annual Service Plan

From link.

We are preparing our 2024 Annual Service Plan

As part of the 5-Year Service Plan process, we committed to developing (and consulting stakeholders and the public on) detailed Annual Service Plans (ASPs) every year.

The 2024 ASP will form part of the new 5-Year Service Plan (2024-2028) being delivered to the Board later this year.

Main priorities for the 2024 Annual Service Plan

Planning for construction is the focus of our 2024 ASP. Construction can create major disruptions to our service. With significant construction projects planned in the coming years, we are thinking about how best to adjust our service. We are anticipating disruptions from:

• Four major transit expansion projects, including the Ontario Line, Scarborough Subway Extension (or Line 2 East Extension), Yonge North Subway Extension (or Line 1 Extension) and Eglinton Crosstown West Extension;
  • One rapid transit replacement, the Line 3 Scarborough (SRT) Bus Replacement;
  • Typical transit network maintenance and repairs; and
  • Other, non-transit related projects that impact transit service and require service detours.
To help us prepare the 2024 ASP, we want to know what customers and stakeholders think we should prioritize when we look at changing our service because of construction.

We want to hear from you!

The TTC is seeking feedback to help inform how to plan service in the short-term to accommodate many major new construction projects starting in 2024.

Participate in Round One (of four) of the engagement process by taking the survey at ttc5yearplans.ca by May 17, 2023. You can also complete the survey by mail (available upon request by contacting 647-905-8825 or khly@thirdpartypublic.ca).

Engagement process

From April to October 2023, the TTC will engage customers, stakeholders, internal staff, and the public to help inform the 2024 Annual Service Plan, the 5-Year Service Plan, and the Customer Experience Action Plan. The engagement will follow a four-round process.

Round One – The big picture​

April - May
The focus of Round One is to seek feedback to inform the development of the draft plans for the 2024 Annual Service Plan, the 5-Year Service Plan, and the Customer Experience Action Plan.

Engagement will include a survey seeking feedback from the public and TTC staff.

Round Two – Closer look at construction​

June - July
The focus of Round Two is to share and seek feedback on the draft 2024 Annual Service Plan before it is presented to the TTC Board. Specifically, TTC will be looking for thoughts on its approach to adjusting service as a result of major construction projects.

Engagement will include:

• a survey
  • stakeholder meetings
  • pop-ups for the public
  • focus groups with TTC customers

Round Three – Draft concepts​

August - September
The focus of Round Three is to share and seek feedback on the draft concepts for the 5-Year Service Plan and Customer Experience Action Plan.

Engagement will include:

• a survey
  • stakeholder meetings
  • pop-up consultations for the public
  • focus groups with women, shift workers, customers with low-income and TTC staff
  • a youth-led engagement process

Round Four – Final drafts​

October - November
The focus of Round Four is to share and seek feedback on the draft 5-Year Service Plan and Customer Experience Action Plan before they are presented to the TTC Board.

Engagement will include:

• a survey
  • stakeholder meetings

Information about public engagement opportunities will be posted on this page and promoted on the TTC’s social media. Please follow the TTC on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram or visit this website regularly for updates.

If you would like to receive updates about this work, please send an email to planning@ttc.ca, with the subject line “2024 Annual Service Plan.”

The Green P app does alert the user that the time is almost expiring, allowing them to extend the time (by paying for the additional time). Up to a maximum time or time of day. It will not allow the user to use the parking spot if during rush hours for example.
Sure, but the physical machines also don't let you buy time at rush hour, or at other times they don't charge such as overnight. However they still manage to allow you to only purchase 5 minutes of parking if that's what you need.

I appear to be on a stealth TTC bus (3178) not appearing on the ETA system. Even though headways on the 51 are over 20mins we were passed by an empty northbound bus at Leslie station while our driver used the loo 🤦‍♂️Screenshot_20230514-160846.png

April 30
Just finished last of the shots for this day as it was time communing doing all TTC shots that had to be tagged individually along with the April 27 shots that were part of 600 I shot that day unplan for,

It show TTC is not the only one dealing with homeless people on their system. These shot at the Kipling Transit Hub and except this scene can be found right across the GTA for these types of complex. There were 6 teens out on the GO platform like I have seen at a number of station. The partying up on the 2nd level walkway isn't anything I have seen outside of TTC so at transit terminal.

Have seen this a number of times the past few year
52898840646_cc3f9c5dbb_b.jpg

52899289078_df3d4cf195_b.jpg

These I have not seen until my visit
52898840516_a456b2f012_b.jpg

52899232955_23f8b70542_b.jpg

Did you know that the TTC "owns" its own insurance company, TTC Insurance Company Limited, as an insurer to carry on automobile insurance in the province of Ontario?
From link.

Order in Council 300/2021​

On the recommendation of the undersigned, the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, by and with the advice and concurrence of the Executive Council of Ontario, orders that:

Whereas TTC Insurance Company Limited is licensed under the Insurance Act as an insurer to carry on automobile insurance in the province of Ontario;

And whereas pursuant to Order In Council O.C. 1690/94 and subject to the conditions stated therein, TTC Insurance Company Limited is exempt from the requirements to maintain minimum capital and unimpaired surplus requirements under subsection 48(2) of the Insurance Act;

And whereas O.C. 1690/94 specifies that TTC Insurance Company Limited must limit its insurance underwriting to the automobile insurance risks of the Toronto Transit Commission;

And whereas TTC Insurance Company Limited intends to underwrite the automobile insurance risks of the City of Toronto, excluding all of the other boards, commissions and special purpose entities of the City of Toronto;

And whereas the Chief Executive Officer filed a report dated January 27, 2021 under subsection 48(4) of the Insurance Act;

And whereas TTC Insurance Company Limited,
  1. has, in aggregate, a paid up capital and unimpaired surplus in the amount of $100,000;
  2. will limit its insurance underwriting to the automobile insurance risks of the City of Toronto, excluding all of the boards, commissions and special purpose entities of the City of Toronto except for the Toronto Transit Commission;
  3. entered into an indemnity agreement with the Toronto Transit Commission dated February 25, 1994 whereby all current and future losses, costs and expenditures of the TTC Insurance Company Limited are to be reimbursed by the Toronto Transit Commission;
  4. obtained from the City of Toronto a complete and full guarantee dated February 8, 2019 of the Toronto Transit Commission’s liabilities and obligations under the said indemnity agreement; and
  5. entered into an indemnity agreement with the City of Toronto dated February 8, 2019 whereby all current and future losses, costs and expenditures of TTC Insurance Company Limited relating to the City of Toronto’s insurance policies underwritten by TTC Insurance Company Limited will be reimbursed by the City of Toronto.
Therefore, Order in Council O.C. 1690/94 is amended by deleting paragraph 2 and replacing it as follows:
  1. Pursuant to subsection 48(5) of the Insurance Act, the exemption from the minimum paid up capital and unimpaired surplus requirements under subsection 48(2) of the Insurance Act is subject to the following conditions:
    1. TTC Insurance Company Limited maintain, in aggregate, a paid up capital and unimpaired surplus of not less than $100,000;
    2. TTC Insurance Company Limited limit exclusively its underwriting to the automobile insurance risks of the City of Toronto, excluding all of the boards, commissions and special purpose entities of the City of Toronto except for the Toronto Transit Commission;
    3. The indemnity agreement dated February 25, 1994 between the Toronto Transit Commission and the TTC Insurance Company Limited, continue and be in full force and effect;
    4. The guarantee to the TTC Insurance Company Limited from the City of Toronto dated February 8, 2019 continue to be in full force and effect; and
    5. The indemnity agreement between the TTC Insurance Company Limited and the City of Toronto dated February 8, 2019 continue to be in full force and effect.
Ministry of Finance
Approved and Ordered: March 11, 2021

April 30
Just finished last of the shots for this day as it was time communing doing all TTC shots that had to be tagged individually along with the April 27 shots that were part of 600 I shot that day unplan for,

It show TTC is not the only one dealing with homeless people on their system. These shot at the Kipling Transit Hub and except this scene can be found right across the GTA for these types of complex. There were 6 teens out on the GO platform like I have seen at a number of station. The partying up on the 2nd level walkway isn't anything I have seen outside of TTC so at transit terminal.

Have seen this a number of times the past few year
52898840646_cc3f9c5dbb_b.jpg

52899289078_df3d4cf195_b.jpg

These I have not seen until my visit
52898840516_a456b2f012_b.jpg

52899232955_23f8b70542_b.jpg
Personally, I don't feel it's appropriate to take pictures of people like this without their consent - points regarding homeless people doesn't need illustrating by photographic evidence!

Back