News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Something already proposed for that block: (east of the gas station)

Even if you get the entire block, all that buys you is platform width, it doesn't get you additional bus bays, which is what is needed there.

If you kept the bus terminal roughly where it is today, you could buy 4 or so properties to the north and stagger the bus bays in a saw-tooth pattern, that would get you 1 additional bus bay (north side only)

Fairly expensive relative to the pay off. An alternative choice, providing that it can be graded to deal w/any flooding issues is to the move the bus platform to the eastern 1/2 of the station, east of Indian Grove. (currently parking)

That would allow roughly 4 additional bus bays (including replacing the existing ones)

The challenge is the limited space for access off the east end of the Keele Platform; and you would need another set of elevators.

On top of that, the buses would all have to enter/exit via Indian Road, and Bloor, which would be a bit of a pain.

View attachment 520999

There is one other alternative, I suppose, but I don't think it would impress the locals:

View attachment 521000

The bus platform could be extended out to the TTC property limit and the buses could circle using Indian Grove.

This wouldn't necessarily result in the closure of Indian Grove at Bloor; though that would be be an option, but it would be congested w/all those buses if you didn't.

That extension would get you 2 additional bus bays at the existing station. (one on the north, one on the south)
They could build loops with the building over the loop, like they did with the McCaul Loop.
1700261813514.png

They could build loops with the building over the loop, like they did with the McCaul Loop.
View attachment 521007

They could. The challenge is in getting a vaguely sensible shape, giving that you want the exit to Keele to be about where it is now.

Pulling the platforms south to get additional bus bays would eat a lot of real estate. But you could definitely add one that way, I'm not sure about 2, I'd have to draw it out.

Nov 16
Looks like most of the existing tunnel will see repairs now the sign is up say work will be on going until the summer of 2024 for Kipling Station/

The stairs to the subway and GO are block off and to be rebuilt with not timetable for it. If you are going to use the GO train, you either have to pay a TTC fare to get to the GO platform or walk to the Kipling Hub to get to the GO Platform.

The bus platform is basely finished and expect the full platform will be rebuilt in sections.

Keep forgetting to look if the switch was cut in for the 3rd trail track during the weekend closure last week.
53338057807_dfcaf095b8_b.jpg

53339393845_580dfa444f_b.jpg

53339166443_bc99a89393_b.jpg

53338057842_89376cbd98_b.jpg

They could. The challenge is in getting a vaguely sensible shape, giving that you want the exit to Keele to be about where it is now.

Pulling the platforms south to get additional bus bays would eat a lot of real estate. But you could definitely add one that way, I'm not sure about 2, I'd have to draw it out.
The biggest problem is bus layovers not boarding platforms. If you only go north to St Clair, you can board any northbound buses.

The 41 Keele is a very slow route and can take up to half an hour to get to Lawrence. Most people who need to go half way through the route would have used the 52 Lawrence West or 96 Wilson and then transfer up the 41. Once Line 5 opens, we’ll see more shift in demand. Perhaps they can cut the 41 to St Clair. Have the 168 do the work for the Old Weston Rd alignment to Line 2. All trips from Keele Station to St Clair can be done with the 89 Weston. They’ll free up some space for the 189.

The South Parking lot at Warden Station will be permanently closed as of today for the creation of a new bus terminal.

Kiss and Ride also closed until Spring 2024

It appears I was right. Easier access works are going full steam ahead.

20231118_093555.jpg

Report on the 2024 Service Plan is on the agenda for the TTC meeting next week.

Off the top, the proposal would add back 2% of pre-pandemic service, or roughly 2.1% more service hours than operate today. (For the record, that is wholly inadequate)

* its also misleading, It is my understanding that the TTC is counting the SRT replacement bus hours in these numbers, which consumer far more service hours than the SRT did)

There's a lot to read/take in, so I may edit this post to add info or make additional posts.

View attachment 520763
um… is High Park Loop somewhere people are going to want to get streetcars in the middle of the night?

um… is High Park Loop somewhere people are going to want to get streetcars in the middle of the night?

Ummm, why are you asking me? I said nothing about High Park Loop.

Its the only place it can loop for 506 unless it runs up to Dundas West Station.. Expect almost zero riders for the loop and Howard.

Its the only place it can loop for 506 unless it runs up to Dundas West Station.. Expect almost zero riders for the loop and Howard.
At the moment the 306 does run up to Dundas West, but by the looks of that map it is to be displaced by the new 305. I guess they don’t feel they can manage both routes on the same platform. Doesn’t seem like a great place for operators to layover during the night.

Couldn't the 504 and 505 use one track and 506 the other? At that time of night there's not much concern about cars mutually blocking each other, and they used the single track arrangement for decades before they built the second one.

Reactions: max
People actually live in the medium density neighbourhood between Dundas Avenue West and Parkside Drive, along Howard Park Avenue. Living people actually moved into the condo that replaced the former Roncesvalles Chapel of Turner & Porter Funeral Home. (Did you know Turner & Porter started in the undertaking business at 9 and 11 Queen Street West, now The Bay.)

Reactions: PL1
People actually live in the medium density neighbourhood between Dundas Avenue West and Parkside Drive, along Howard Park Avenue. Living people actually moved into the condo that replaced the former Roncesvalles Chapel of Turner & Porter Funeral Home. (Did you know Turner & Porter started in the undertaking business at 9 and 11 Queen Street West, now The Bay.)
Accepted, but there are lots of areas in the city which aren’t covered by 300 series routes - and aren’t by the existing 306 routing

I guess we will see how it goes.

@DSC @Northern Light I found something on Reddit this morning that MAY shed some light on this situation.

Apparently, the issue with the escalators may be that they are done by two different unions that are not playing nice together. Take the below comment with a grain of salt but there are TTC staff lurking on that subreddit so this could very well be true.

This is exactly why the lowest bidder is not always the most economical. Bidders who accurately bid on jobs likely take some hiccups into consideration. The lowest bidder will always leave room for "extra", which is not Included as part of the bid.

Someone should show the bean counters at the TTC the cost difference between "fixing" an escalator and doing a complete overhaul. Cost analysis over time. Newer components likely are more efficient and will last longer which will save on maintenance over time. One step further someone should do an analysis to determine at what point an overhaul should be scheduled or a replacement should be scheduled to optimize the efficiency and downtime as well as cost over time.

Think about it. Why we only keep Wheel Trans buses for 5? Years instead of 13 is specifically for this reason. Trying to keep it on the road for 13 is more cost effective.

Back