News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

As usual bad coordination work by the city, having the King St watermain replacement/streetcar track replacement and Gardiner Expressway construction starting up at essentially the same time. I have no idea how they expect anyone living in the Liberty Village area to get anywhere, maybe they expect people to teleport or use jetpacks.

This work really should've been pushed up to avoid the 10+ month disaster we're about to see unfold.

As usual bad coordination work by the city, having the King St watermain replacement/streetcar track replacement and Gardiner Expressway construction starting up at essentially the same time. I have no idea how they expect anyone living in the Liberty Village area to get anywhere, maybe they expect people to teleport or use jetpacks.

This work really should've been pushed up to avoid the 10+ month disaster we're about to see unfold.
Really hope we don’t find this is a FIFA related timing.

I was going to write that they had better get all this crap done before the World Cup. It won't be done, of course. And whether they should push work forward to not conflict with the WC is debatable.

I hope to get to a couple of matches, but clearly the city will be largely under construction still in 2026 (Ontario Line, especially)

I hope to get to a couple of matches, but clearly the city will be largely under construction still in 2026
Some might say the city has been largely under construction since the 1790s.

Perhaps you can go to the next World Cup in Toronto? 2100s?

Last edited:
The REAL problem is that the City (thanks mainly to Rob Ford & John Tory) postponed vital work to avoid raising taxes. There are infrastructure 'elements' that are now on the verge of collapse and if there is an unplanned repair it is usually FAR slower and FAR more disruptive. Remember how long it took the City to repair the unexpected watermain on King @ University las year? Would it be better if there was not work planned for both King & Gardiner at same time? Of course, but if either had to be closed unexpectedly it would be FAR worse.

FIFA will certainly slow things down because they say they will NOT close everything during those weeks so project will simply last longer and I bet re-opening streets for FIFA will screw things up so overall the projects will take longer.

I was going to write that they had better get all this crap done before the World Cup. It won't be done, of course. And whether they should push work forward to not conflict with the WC is debatable.

I hope to get to a couple of matches, but clearly the city will be largely under construction still in 2026 (Ontario Line, especially)
The city will be under construction for the rest of your life as work must happen at some point before everything falls apart or crashes. Everything has a life cycle with some having a longer one while others have a short one. The city must grow to support the newcomers as well expanding families that will be double or triple the size when you are gone.

Things do happen even built correctly caused by other things. The longer things are put off, the more costly they become and a larger problem as well.

Almost everyone wants things done later as they are not willing to pay the upfront cost in the first place or deal with the mess.

Not everyone likes the same thing or sports that some preferred Toronto don't get things like the FIFA, and I don't follow FIFA, hockey, and other things, yet I have play them.

Now, will TTC be able to handle the FIFA as well meet the triple size of the city down the road??

The Pan Am Games Kill the SRT conversion to LRT as well delay the opening of the Cherry St by 2 years.

A newspaper piece I saw on the Gardiner lane closures indicated that they would not be done by the WC, and thus the closures would be suspended for the duration. I’m sure that’s the sort of thing that’s in the contract that the public isn’t allowed to see:

Reactions: PL1
The city will be under construction for the rest of your life as work must happen at some point before everything falls apart or crashes. Everything has a life cycle with some having a longer one while others have a short one. The city must grow to support the newcomers as well expanding families that will be double or triple the size when you are gone.

Things do happen even built correctly caused by other things. The longer things are put off, the more costly they become and a larger problem as well.

Almost everyone wants things done later as they are not willing to pay the upfront cost in the first place or deal with the mess.

Not everyone likes the same thing or sports that some preferred Toronto don't get things like the FIFA, and I don't follow FIFA, hockey, and other things, yet I have play them.

Now, will TTC be able to handle the FIFA as well meet the triple size of the city down the road??

The Pan Am Games Kill the SRT conversion to LRT as well delay the opening of the Cherry St by 2 years.
I have no problem with perpetual improvement; it's really necessary tbh. And being in my early 50s (which they tell me makes me well into my middle age), I know there will be continual construction. I am happy for it as it will leave the city in a better place for the younger generations than the boomers have left for us

Both were planned before the whole FIFA thing unfolded so the city has had this in the books for a while. The King St project (between Dufferin and Shaw) will be done before the World Cup, while the Gardiner rehabilitation work will be paused however that will still be ongoing once the World Cup is complete.

But then of course, King St (between Shaw and Bathurst) will be under construction for watermain replacement and sewer rehabilitation from 2025-2026 so fear not everyone!

than the boomers have left for us
I'm about half your age and I'm sick of this take. The boomers helped build the incredibly prosperous post war world order for us. I challenge anyone criticizing the past to prove you would have done any better back then with the information available at the time.

The angsty, nihilistic disposition I've witnessed among some of my gen X friends makes me doubt that, to say nothing of the fragile post Cold War generations.

Where we failed was not taking good enough care of everything the boomers (and silent generation) built. The younger generations have a share of that blame as well.

I'm about half your age and I'm sick of this take. The boomers helped build the incredibly prosperous post war world order for us. I challenge anyone criticizing the past to prove you would have done any better back then with the information available at the time.

The angsty, nihilistic disposition I've witnessed among some of my gen X friends makes me doubt that, to say nothing of the fragile post Cold War generations.

Where we failed was not taking good enough care of everything the boomers (and silent generation) built. The younger generations have a share of that blame as well.
I decided not to post the pithy response I had written. But suffice it to say that Boomers have largely concerned themselves (as a large voting bloc) with their own problems, and not societal ones.

I don't think we'll agree or come to a consensus here, so I suggest we move on to our discussions of how we can make this city the best it can be.

Map image showing all the slow orders on the subway system: (red)

View attachment 540129

Source/Credit:
I dont mean to dig old stuff up (or maybe I do since i'm bringing it up), but today is the first day I've used the Yonge Line northbound since the TTC instituted their series of slow orders. Throughout my 20+ years of using the TTC, i've never seen things this bad with slow orders as they are with these today. I boarded the subway from Union going north to Eglinton and the length and the extremely slow speeds at which the trains were traveling were appalling bad. Usually slow orders will last a few dozen metres before a train is able to accelerate through (of course there are exceptions though), but with the one's we're seeing today there are 400+ metre sections of slow orders between any 2 given stations on multiple stretches of the line.

I dont have to use this stretch of Line 1 frequently these days, but I did this would piss me right off because this degree of service degradation is completely unacceptable and easily adds 15-20 mins to a commuter's trip. This better be the last of these mass institutions of slow orders because this is the kind of crap that drives people away from using the system altogether if they become a regular series of occurrences.

Last edited:
I dont mean to dig old stuff up (or maybe I do since i'm bringing it up), but today is the first day I've used the Yonge Line northbound since the TTC instituted their series of slow orders. Throughout my 20+ years of using the TTC, i've never seen things this bad with slow orders as they are with these today. I boarded the subway from Union going north to Eglinton and the length and the extremely slow speeds at which the trains were traveling were appalling bad. Usually slow orders will last a few dozen metres before a train is able to accelerate through (of course there are exceptions though), but with the one's we're seeing today there are 400+ metre sections of slow orders between any 2 given stations on multiple stretches of the line.

I dont have to use this stretch of Line 1 frequently these days, but I did this would piss me right off because this degree of service degradation is completely unacceptable and easily adds 15-20 mins to a commuter's trip. This better be the last of these mass institutions of slow orders because this is the kind of crap that drives people away from using the system altogether if they become a regular series of occurrences.

Thankfully, it seems they‘re slowly removing the slow zones up until early March. Still, I agree and it shows what the TTC has degraded to. I was on it yesterday and definitely felt this between Chester and Castle Frank on Line 2 as well as between Wellesley to roughly Dundas on Line 1.

Back