News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

TTC Board just finished with a unanimous vote - but they did not announce what it was!

Breaking: Bruce McGregor will be appointed as the Acting CEO of Toronto Transit Commission, effective end of day, tomorrow. He will help guide TTC while the city finalizes the appointment of an interim CEO to lead North America’s 3rd largest transit system.

Yes, I did not recognise the name so...

My source, was 100% sure it was not Bruce..............so that's curious. I'm doing some digging.

In my opinion, it's GREAT new they appointed an (almost) outsider and I bet some of the deadwood at TTC are busily updating their cvs.

Ya know, my only issue w/this.............the last time they recruited someone from York Region to Deputy CEO role, and made him 'Acting' CEO when the last guy exited...........was Rick Leary.

Also, York region has underfunded transit relative to the other suburban municipalities running much poorer service.

TTC Board just finished with a unanimous vote - but they did not announce what it was!

Breaking: Bruce McGregor will be appointed as the Acting CEO of Toronto Transit Commission, effective end of day, tomorrow. He will help guide TTC while the city finalizes the appointment of an interim CEO to lead North America’s 3rd largest transit system.

Yes, I did not recognise the name so...

York Region CAO reflects on public service, new opportunities​

With 33 years of public service experience under his belt, Macgregor knew one does not walk away from a role as important as CAO without a good bit of planning. Macgregor said he knew the current term of York council was going to be his last. He just had to wrestle with what would be the appropriate time to leave.
13 Shares

Sometimes you just know when the time is right for a change. For Bruce Macgregor, that time was at the end of June when he announced that after 16 years he would be stepping down as the CAO of the Regional Municipality of York.
Macgregor did not make this decision on a whim. He knew a while ago that 2023 was the right time to step away.
With 33 years of public service experience under his belt, Macgregor knew one does not walk away from a role as important as CAO without a good bit of planning. Macgregor said he knew the current term of York council was going to be his last. He just had to wrestle with what would be the appropriate time to leave. Given everything he has accomplished and given to the role, that part of the decision was not easy.
SEE: https://www.municipalworld.com/feature-story/york-region-cao-reflects/

In my opinion, it's GREAT new they appointed an (almost) outsider and I bet some of the deadwood at TTC are busily updating their cvs.
Bruce has been in the Deputy CEO role for coming up on a year already, so that makes the most sense short-term.

Bruce has been in the Deputy CEO role for coming up on a year already, so that makes the most sense short-term.

What's strange is that they are going to do 'Acting CEO', then 'interim CEO' before new CEO.

Normally those first two would be one and the same.

This from Star... Highlighting by me. See: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tt...cle_75c77388-6557-11ef-b1da-1735c3ba365e.html

Toronto’s transit agency has a new temporary boss.

At a closed-door meeting Wednesday, the TTC board selected Bruce Macgregor to serve as acting CEO. He will take the place of Rick Leary, who after more than six years in charge is leaving the commission at the end of this week.

Macgregor has been deputy CEO of the TTC since last October. Before that, he served for 16 years as York Region’s chief administrative officer.

At a press conference after the vote, board chair Jamaal Myers (Ward 22, Scarborough North) confirmed the appointment, which was first reported by the Star. He described Macgregor as a “first class professional” who oversaw transit and other important files in York Region, and is “well respected” at the TTC.

Macgregor is expected to be in the job for only a matter of weeks, until the board appoints an interim CEO. Myers said he expects to announce the successful candidate for the interim role by the board’s September 17 meeting.

The chair couldn’t give a firm date for when Leary’s permanent replacement will be confirmed, but said the board is conducting an international search, which typically takes at least six months.

According to Myers, appointing an acting CEO before the interim CEO was necessary because “we had an issue of timing” between Leary’s June resignation announcement and when the search committee could start interviewing candidates.

According to a document reviewed by the Star, interviews with candidates shortlisted for the interim position will be conducted Thursday.

Applicants have been told their priorities should include improving communication between senior TTC leadership and the board; better messaging to improve public perception of the agency; transforming internal culture to “reignite the excitement and pride” among staff; performance metrics; and a “deep dive” on safety culture, human resources, and the system’s state of good repair, according to the document.

Leary joined the TTC from York Region Transit in 2014. He became interim CEO in 2017, and took the job permanently the following year.

As the Star has previously reported, the board voted at a closed door meeting last October to investigate Leary for allegations of workplace misconduct, according to sources.

The chair has never formally acknowledged the existence of the investigation—which sources have told the Star was expected to cost $250,000—or disclose its status, citing confidentiality requirements around human resources issues.

On Wednesday, Myers again said it was “not appropriate” for any board member “to discuss an investigation” about an employee. But he said he would be open to suggestions made by previous chairs to explore ways to improve the process for investigating CEOs “to make sure it’s fair, accountable, and as transparent as possible.”

In an exit interview with the Star this week, Leary denied creating a toxic culture at the TTC, but said he believed cost-cutting measures he pursued for the good of the organization may have upset employees.

Back