News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Interesting - I'd have assumed you'd have needed a data plan from Bell - not just cellular. Does it work anywhere else, or just in subway stations.

I did but honestly who doesn't?

My point was that there is cell service for more than just Rogers. You can call and text underground from other networks.

I did but honestly who doesn't?
My teenager doesn't. Well she does have some for emergencies - but she has never touched it, even though I tell her to for some things.

My current plan doesn't have enough for me to scrolling the Internet for all my transit rides.

Sure, white privileged adults mostly have data.

My point was that there is cell service for more than just Rogers. You can call and text underground from other networks.
Of course. But my point was that Rogers will benefit from cutting the wi-fi, as some of those that do rely on the wi-fi will now send $ Rogers (and the others) way.

Rogers also benefits, as they are (were?) contractually required to maintain the wi-fi through 2032, at no cost to TTC.

So why let them off the hook, when GO Transit is touting how well their WiFi service is doing (it certainly connects better than TTC these days) - even though I'd think their average customer is MORE likely to have mobile data than the average TTC customer.

For those privileged enough to have paid Rogers more money for their expensive mobile data - sure.

I don't use food banks or homeless shelters either. Let's get rid of those too.
It’s open to all carriers, no? I certainly have service with Telus.

Edit: just checked and it’s open to all carriers. Feds mandated it.

It’s open to all carriers, no? I certainly have service with Telus.

Edit: just checked and it’s open to all carriers. Feds mandated it.
No - if you have a Telus account without mobile data (or no account with anyone), then you can't access the Internet - which you can do with WiFi.

Yes, those privileged enough to have a large data plan are fine. If this is removed even though usage remains relatively high, then might as well remove ALL public wifi!

The wi-fi only worked in the station. It was basically useless.
And yet, it was used - was still working yesterday, though it's been becoming more flakey since Rogers took over the contract. That implies it was the opposite of useless.

At a minimum, told you simply when the next train was coming to that station; for those that left their binoculars at home. I liked to download something I could read later.

Cell service works in the station and tunnel.
Isn't (wasn't) Rogers and their predecessor companies contractually required to install WiFi and cellular in the stations and tunnels, at no cost to the TTC, through 2032 (or 2042 after the untendered extension)?

And to be honest, I've been using mobile data (and mobile calls) in the stations, and in some of the tunnels, since they started installing it years ago. And I don't think it's been working as well in some stations as it was in, say, 2019 or 2016! (obviously I'm not using Rogers or Bell!)

Isn't (wasn't) Rogers and their predecessor companies contractually required to install WiFi and cellular in the stations and tunnels, at no cost to the TTC, through 2032 (or 2042 after the untendered extension)?
No.

Rogers Communications says it was a TTC decision to shut down the WiFi service, noting it was never included in the agreement when the it acquired BAI Canada last year to upgrade, expand and operate a cellular network in the subway system.

No.

Rogers Communications says it was a TTC decision to shut down the WiFi service, noting it was never included in the agreement when the it acquired BAI Canada last year to upgrade, expand and operate a cellular network in the subway system.
Tell me you've never had a phone call with Rogers without saying you've never had a phone call with Rogers! Rogers lies, deceives, and twists. It's that simple. Kind of like Metrolinx, but they are better at it, and make a profit.

It's pretty clear in the 2012 documents related to the award to BAI (now Rogers) that the wireless project included both Mobile and Wi-Fi. https://pw.ttc.ca/-/media/Project/T...2013/July-24/Reports/Wireless_Network_Sta.pdf

Reactions: max
Sure, white privileged adults mostly have data

Ok.. you had me up until this point.

This isn't a white privilege thing. What this is, is the reality that 99% of plans have Data even minimally.

Don't turn this into a race issue.

At a minimum, told you simply when the next train was coming to that station; for those that left their binoculars at home. I liked to download something I could read later

Who s*** in your cornflakes?

The next train estimates are only an estimate.

By the time you connect, find something and download it trains have come and gone.

The only time I ever used Wifi was when I was sitting at a station during delays. I was there for a significant amount of time and would stream my scanner to find out more info.

By the time you connect, find something and download it trains have come and gone.
Don't forget the ad you have to watch first that funded the thing. Funding which has dried up since the wi-fi service lost 65% of its users.

It's pretty clear in the 2012 documents related to the award to BAI (now Rogers) that the wireless project included both Mobile and Wi-Fi. https://pw.ttc.ca/-/media/Project/T...2013/July-24/Reports/Wireless_Network_Sta.pdf
Looks like they were paying the TTC to install a wireless network. Nothing about it being required to be wi-fi.
Either way, the TTC is the one pulling the plug on it, as it's EOL and has declining users.

the reality that 99% of plans have Data even minimally
“84% of Canadians had access to the Internet through a mobile data plan for personal use ” - Statistics Canada

That's 6 million people without a data plan. Just because most plans include data doesn’t mean everyone has it or is able to access.

Visitors to the city, kids or teens with basic cell plans, low income people are more likely to have no access to data on their phones while out and about. Some people just don't have data plans. I’ve benefited from free wifi while travelling in places where it’s not easy to just get a SIM card, or before I’m able to. I know several people who don’t have data something because they never saw the value of it and get by through finding hotspots to use.

Yes, the current state of the wifi in the stations leaves a lot to be desired — not well advertised, is clunky to connect, but it’s there. Getting rid of something that provides equity is not great.

What this is, is the reality that 99% of plans have Data even minimally.
The reality is, that even after most users finally could use mobile data, and with the wifi suffering from poor maintenance, that 30 to 40% were still using it!

The next train estimates are only an estimate.
They seem decent enough to me. And even better now that they've managed to remove the out-of-service trains from the predictions.

I admit it can be a bit of a challenge in the 15 seconds a train that you are on is on the platform (but not impossible). But I've not had problems with this when waiting for a train - assuming it isn't arriving as I walk onto the platform. It has I admit been more problematic recently (which I doubt is coincidental with Rogers taking over)..

Don't forget the ad you have to watch first that funded the thing. Funding which has dried up since the wi-fi service lost 65% of its users.
The 5-second ad?

35% retention after most mobile users could use data instead is high. I don't see why people are responding so favourable to Rogers' spin.

Looks like they were paying the TTC to install a wireless network. Nothing about it being required to be wi-fi.
Many 2012 reports and comments discuss wi-fi. Are you suggesting that the TTC, who write some of the most detailed contracts I've ever seen, didn't specify the frequencies and protocols that the wireless system would use?

Either way, the TTC is the one pulling the plug on it, as it's EOL and has declining users.
And you don't think it's not coming from Rogers in any way?

I fail to understand why something that worked well enough years ago, at no cost to TTC, is suddenly too expensive since Rogers took over. Something smells here.

In all my years of taking the subway I rarely found the wifi to work. Maybe if there was a service delay and I was on a platform. But on train? Useless.
They never attempted to install it on trains. Not sure the point here.

If there was a service delay? The yellow band on the screen in the station is almost always going on about something - which you can't see in the distance while you wonder if there's something you should know about.

Back