News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There is also the 58A Malton bus that goes to the airport from some subway station next to the "poor man's" Yorkdale that just lost its Zellers.

The 58 Malton bus from Lawrence West Station will no more, after March 30, 2014. Now you would be boarding a branch of the 52 Lawrence West bus from Lawrence Station or Lawrence West Station. Download the TTC's service summary effective from March 30 from this link and search for 52 Lawrence West.

The 58 Malton bus from Lawrence West Station will no more, after March 30, 2014. Now you would be boarding a branch of the 52 Lawrence West bus from Lawrence Station or Lawrence West Station. Download the TTC's service summary effective from March 30 from this link and search for 52 Lawrence West.
It will be from Lawrence station. By merging the 58 Malton with the 52 Lawrence West, there would be more service on Lawrence between both legs of Line 1.

It will be from Lawrence station. By merging the 58 Malton with the 52 Lawrence West, there would be more service on Lawrence between both legs of Line 1.
... and a direct - if slow - bus link from Lawrence subway to the airport (via Lawrence West).

BKbiiMF.jpg

LOL are there even railroad crossing barriers on that Chicago crossing? Or at least a stop sign or something?

Speaking of "rapid" transit, I've watched some videos of NYC subways on elevated tracks, and they seem to go very very slowly:
[video=youtube;fARnpNBxUks]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fARnpNBxUks[/video]

Ehlow: That NYC Subway video of the J train crossing the Williamsburgh Bridge is interesting...There are also routes that use the four
tracks crossing the Manhattan Bridge - these have interesting speed restrictions for crossing the suspension span between the bridge
towers as well as not going too fast downgrade after crossing out of the span area...

When a train climbs the grade leading up to the suspension span it needs to maintain a designated speed and are drawing a high amount
of electric current leading up to that point...In the span itself between the two bridge towers a slow speed limit is enforced because of
the train's weight making the suspension cables flex which occurs incresingly with more train speed...I remember at one point a strict
restriction was enforced because the suspension bridge cables were too rigid and were not flexing properly - risking damage to the bridge
itself or worse and when these bridges were renovated this problem was corrected to some extent but these speed restrictions minimize
potential structural problems...

When a train goes downgrade off the suspension span it needs to also maintain a restricted speed as so not to become a "runaway"
as it enters the tunnel or elevated structure leading away from the bridge such as the curve leading to the el structure eastbound
off the Williamsburgh Bridge that the J train uses as shown in the video...it sort of evens out the previous upgrade ride...

I am also familiar with the South Shore Line (CSS&SB) street running in Michigan City,Indiana and it is one of the few remaining
remants of the South Shore's "Interurban" days - charactristics of both a electrified railroad and streetcar combined - and I will
add that there is proposals for a new route around MC to eliminate this track stretch...These trains heed traffic signals like any
other vehicle but I believe traffic lights are set to favor trains using this route...

I believe today planners try to avoid street running like this example but it can be a low-cost option for some systems...

Hopefully this adds some insight on both these topics...

LI MIKE

Ehlow: That NYC Subway video of the J train crossing the Williamsburgh Bridge is interesting...There are also routes that use the four
tracks crossing the Manhattan Bridge - these have interesting speed restrictions for crossing the suspension span between the bridge
towers as well as not going too fast downgrade after crossing out of the span area...

When a train climbs the grade leading up to the suspension span it needs to maintain a designated speed and are drawing a high amount
of electric current leading up to that point...In the span itself between the two bridge towers a slow speed limit is enforced because of
the train's weight making the suspension cables flex which occurs incresingly with more train speed...I remember at one point a strict
restriction was enforced because the suspension bridge cables were too rigid and were not flexing properly - risking damage to the bridge
itself or worse and when these bridges were renovated this problem was corrected to some extent but these speed restrictions minimize
potential structural problems...

When a train goes downgrade off the suspension span it needs to also maintain a restricted speed as so not to become a "runaway"
as it enters the tunnel or elevated structure leading away from the bridge such as the curve leading to the el structure eastbound
off the Williamsburgh Bridge that the J train uses as shown in the video...it sort of evens out the previous upgrade ride...

I am also familiar with the South Shore Line (CSS&SB) street running in Michigan City,Indiana and it is one of the few remaining
remants of the South Shore's "Interurban" days - charactristics of both a electrified railroad and streetcar combined - and I will
add that there is proposals for a new route around MC to eliminate this track stretch...These trains heed traffic signals like any
other vehicle but I believe traffic lights are set to favor trains using this route...

I believe today planners try to avoid street running like this example but it can be a low-cost option for some systems...

Hopefully this adds some insight on both these topics...

LI MIKE

So is the speed in that video typical of subways in Brooklyn & Queens? I've ridden to Brooklyn a few times but I've mainly ridden subways up & down Manhattan and the PATH to New Jersey.

So is the speed in that video typical of subways in Brooklyn & Queens? I've ridden to Brooklyn a few times but I've mainly ridden subways up & down Manhattan and the PATH to New Jersey.

For comparison with the Paris Metro, without all those curves:

[video=youtube_share;Zz84KClx_Is]http://youtu.be/Zz84KClx_Is[/video]

All those doors at the stations, what a waste of "gravy" being spent on just transit users. :(

Wow. I had no idea something like that existed. What is that? Does it normally run there?

It looks like we have the solution to all our transit problems. Run subways with pantographs on the streets of Toronto! This fulfills Ford's promise to build subways while avoiding all the costs & construction of tunnelling.

I've seriously suggested this for Sheppard before, with high platforms. Tends not to go over too well unfortunately.

BTW I believe that is a Chicago commuter train through Michigan City, Indiana.

From this link on
Train speeds: Do PATH and NY Subway measure up?

18 mph is about 28 km/h.

The Toronto subway and LRTs will go faster. I've been on the PATH and NYC subway trains, and the Toronto subway trains go faster than that in the Union Station loop.

Does that include express branches? Last time I was in New York, I took an express train going up the west side and I swear I thought it was going to go off the tracks! And one time going under the East River between Brooklyn and Manhattan, the driver left the door open a bit and I was able to see the digital speedometer. If I remember correctly, it was in the high 30s (about 60km/h).

NYC Subway and PATH express sections in comparison with the TTC Subway...

Does that include express branches? Last time I was in New York, I took an express train going up the west side and I swear I thought it was going to go off the tracks! And one time going under the East River between Brooklyn and Manhattan, the driver left the door open a bit and I was able to see the digital speedometer. If I remember correctly, it was in the high 30s (about 60km/h).

E: I was going to suggest NYCT Subway express trains to Ehlow - the posted J train video is an example of operation over older elevated structures
and in comparison trains that have express route segments can operate at higher speeds then local trains can...some examples are the 8th Avenue
Subway in Manhattan between 59th Street/Columbus Circle and 125th Street-Harlem used by the A,B and D trains; The Queens Boulevard route of
the E and F trains in Queens between Queens Plaza and Union Turnpike/Kew Gardens and the 7 line express also between Queens Plaza and Flushing...

I believe that NYC Subway trains are governed to a top speed of 55 mph and I will add that tunnel walls can give a higher speed impression then
what the actual speed is...Train Operators are taught to know where and what the designated speed limitations are on any given line or route...

One of the fastest NYC Subway rides is going through the East River tunnels used by the 7 train and the N and R trains respectively and in both
of these cases leaving either end trains go down a substantial downgrade and after bottoming out they must climb a equally large upgrade and
many Train Operators know just how to let gravity take a train downgrade with enough momentum to climb the grade back uphill...

The PATH track section between Journal Square and Harrison is by far the best fast track they have...This should give an idea on how some
routes compare with one another and the TTC Subway mentioned by others in this topic...

LI MIKE

Back