News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

How about the Broadview & Danforth stop? It's the east-end equivalent of Bloor & Bathurst.
They put a temp stop on Coxwell N of Danforth for the NB 22-70 while the subway loop is closed for a year. The stop *south* of Danforth, maybe 50m away, remains...

At Eglinton station they've closed the main bus loop and buses seem to be pulling into a place between the old bus area and the current one. It's kind of weird, there are stairs I didn't know existed to the main station.

Excellent! Now let's encourage them to remove a few more of these utterly ridiculous stops, starting with:
  • Dundas and Bloor just south of Dundas West Station.
  • Sussex Ave on Spadina immediately prior to the tunnel entrance. It's barely 2 new streetcar lengths from the Harbord St. platform.
  • Victoria St. on the Queen car.
  • Either Bellwoods Ave. or Grace St. on Dundas.
In addition to these utterly egregious examples, there's a lot of sections where one stop could easily be pruned from a set. For example, in Little Italy on College there are 6 stops in the 1.3 km stretch between Bathurst and Ossington, including the endpoints. It would speed streetcars and traffic.

And more.
The streetcar stop should be 400-600 meters apart (traffic light or not). I think it is stupid to argue since there is a red light why not make a stop for people? Should transit stops be based on this? Streetcars miss green lights because of those stops all the time, especially on busy days when every stop has on/off passengers (including those who fumble for changes at the front gate blocking everyone else).

Riding the 512 for example is a huge pain in the neck. The frequent stops really kills the attractiveness of taking the streetcar.

Wow. Just wow.

Screen shot 2015-11-04 at 8.32.31 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-11-04 at 8.32.31 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-04 at 8.32.31 PM.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 658
600 metres between streetcars stops downtown? We put subway stops closer together than that.
My intuitive rule of thumb would be closer to 300 meters between stops. For example, Spadina to Bathurst on College is just over 600 meters. One stop in the middle of that stretch would be plenty and that gives a 300 meter spacing. Instead for some ridiculous reason there are two stops...between August and Borden it's only 165 meters.

Another example. On Dundas, Spadina to Beverly is 330 meters...a perfectly reasonable stop spacing. Instead, in this short space, there's additional stop at Huron. They really could speed up streetcars significantly with a reduction in stops.

I think that speaks more to the weakness of public transit in KC than the strength of the King car.

AoD

Yeah no kidding. And of course they have no shortage of freeways. And their downtown is a hollowed-out shell of its former self, their waterfront destroyed by freeways. While the world series are still fresh on our minds, also check out this hellscape where the Royals were playing. Compare that to our downtown Rogers Centre.

22804739195_76aca61500_h.jpg

It's not hard to see why they have a failed transit system.

I think that speaks more to the weakness of public transit in KC than the strength of the King car.

Agreed

The RER-A line in Paris carries roughly 4 times the pax as the entirety of GO transit.

Beijing Line 1 carries ~70% of the entire TTC pax (1.2 million versus 1.7 million per day).

While interesting, that KC quote doesn't actually say much about Toronto. Culture is very hard to change.

Last edited:

Back