News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

As part of the TTC's second exits and accessibility improvements, five stations will be getting art installations.

St Clair West - bronze snails

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toront...rhaul-coming-to-five-ttc-subway-stations.html

Oh FFS, this is absolutely ridiculous. the station already has art in it. See lower concourse wall art, upper concourse planters/rocks? and track level wall tile design.
I'm not against station art especially when it adds something but these snails just seems like the stupidest most kiddish idea possible. /rant

And here they are saying that they are running short on money...while at the same time wasting it on these. Couldve been better spent offsetting presto faregate installation or WiFi
minimum 1% of gross costs of city projects must go towards public art, as per city policy

The TTC seriously bungled the St Clair streetcar project, so what better place to put the snails than at St Clair West station. Coincidence?
I actually think Queen, Osgoode, King, or St.Andrew wouldve been more appropriate so it could represent how slow streetcar routes of those stations operate.

On a side note it seems as though the slow-order that was in place on The Queensway with the 501 was finally removed about 2-3 weeks ago (after being in place for 4 months). It seems that the TTC may actually listen to customers once in a while.

May I ask why does anyone care about using wifi in the subway stations? How much web browsing can you possibly pull off within the minute or two before the train arrives?

You get messages during that time you're connected. Then when you send messages between stations it sends at the next station when you connect.

Example, you're meeting people at a restaurant and they sent you a message that that restaurant is full so they're changing locations.

The TTC seriously bungled the St Clair streetcar project, so what better place to put the snails than at St Clair West station. Coincidence?
How did the bungle St. Clair? On budget. And ridership is significantly up, and still rising.

Seems like a massive success to me!

I am certainly not saying the TTC is perfect but I think the St Clair project was not bungled by the TTC, the delays were the court case by NIMBY residents and the amazingly slow utility work by Hydro and others.

So make a fake Twitter account with a password you don't use anywhere else. Not that hard. It's the price you have to pay for free wifi.
I agree that the result a success, but the construction of it not so much. Though to be fair it wasn't entirely the TTC's fault.

I would say it wasn't the TTC's fault in any way. All they did was replace tracks in the middle of a 6 lane street. Nothing beyond that was their issue.

I am certainly not saying the TTC is perfect but I think the St Clair project was not bungled by the TTC, the delays were the court case by NIMBY residents and the amazingly slow utility work by Hydro and others.

I would say it wasn't the TTC's fault in any way. All they did was replace tracks in the middle of a 6 lane street. Nothing beyond that was their issue.

Thanks for the clarification.

It was TTC fault. If it wasn't for having to replace the exist tracks and going to an ROW, the City wouldn't give St Clair a 2nd thought as well doing makeover in the name of traffic.:eek::mad:.

You know TTC gets blame for everything when tracks are in the picture, even though the road get fix because of them and everyone fail to see it.

TTC is the whipping boy as its the easy thing to go after when they don't have a say in the matter in the first place.

St Clair operates a lot better with the ROW in place and less accidents up there these days.

Thanks for the correction, that is indeed the division I was referring to. You provided excellent info on your post.

I beg to differ on my point where I said no one cares, because ROW transit signalling priority has been an issue that has plagued Spadina, St.Clair, and various points of Queen's Quay for many years. The issue can be resolved with some work, but it is clear nobody is interested because the same issues exist today. The thing is, when we have new LRT lines that open in ~10 years (Eglinton and Finch) the city will probably manage to reduce the efficiently in which those lines operate if they dont start taking transit signaling priority seriously.

If things are not getting done to your standard it doesn't necessarily mean that no one cares, it just means that at least one of the groups involved does not consider lowering transit delays to be more important than some other objectives.

I agree on the new LRT lines. I really hope they go all-out on the TSP - it'd be a shame to spend all this money on new quasi-rapid infrastructure just to have it bogged down by red lights. Especially since a top-notch TSP algorithm would cost pretty much the same as a minimal one and would save tons of money in operating costs (and probably increase revenue too). Given that there's all this talk in the GTA about how to find money to improve transit it certainly would be frustrating to see us not pursuing the methods which actually have a net savings rather than a net cost.

Back