News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I was on Line 2 - the PA on the train was so garbled that no one could hear clearly the outage at YUS. At least half the folks on the train didn't realize that something is amiss and went onto Yonge, where they'd get a rude surprise. A clear PA announcement would have allowed those who are willing to get off at St. George and get to downtown using University (till Osgoode).

Something is really messed up with the system.

AoD

What's their plan for Line 1 outage - if you can't prevent it from going down, at least have emergency plans that would basically turn Yonge into a busway. But no, we can't have that. Why? The susceptibility of the system to single point failures and the utter disinterest in planning for it is a distressing illustration of how out to lunch the authorities are.

AoD

This is much more than just a line 1 issue. You can't blame them for the response today. You had the 501, 504, 505, 509, 510 and the entire downtown subway loop down. It's much bigger than a single point failure.

I doubt there are even enough cops available to fully close Yonge Street on that short notice.

This is much more than just a line 1 issue. You can't blame them for the response today. You had the 501, 504, 505, 509, 510 and the entire downtown subway loop down. It's much bigger than a single point failure.

They don't even have a plan when it is just Line 1 or Line 2, and see above for my experience on the system today- not only is the system incapable of responding to the failure - it was incapable of delivering accurate information to riders to assist in decision-making.

And on top of that, why is the transit system entirely dependent on the functioning of one underground vault?

AoD

And on top of that, why is the transit system entirely dependent on the functioning of one underground vault?

AoD

Definitely agree with this. Edited my original post to also add that closing Yonge would be nearly impossible on such short notice. You would have to prevent access from every street leading to Yonge and there is no way cops would be able to do that, plus manage crowding.

Definitely agree with this. Edited my original post to also add that closing Yonge would be nearly impossible on such short notice. You would have to prevent access from every street leading to Yonge and there is no way cops would be able to do that, plus manage crowding.

Why would they need cops if they can configure the traffic control system for these emergency events? Cross departmental working groups - design a schema for these situations and automate.

AoD

Why would they need cops if they can configure the traffic control system for these emergency events? Cross departmental working groups - design a schema for these situations and automate.

AoD
There are so many streets that intersect with Yonge and don't have a traffic light. How do you stop people from driving on Yonge without cops?

There are so many streets that intersect with Yonge and don't have a traffic light. How do you stop people from driving on Yonge without cops?

Let's count them (there are not that many) and do something about it - it sure beats having sub-optimal outcome like the current arrangement because you know what, the criticality of Yonge Line isn't going to go away. Also as others have mentioned elsewhere - there are crossovers along Yonge south of Bloor - why aren't they used, which would at least provide degraded access instead of no access.

AoD

And of course, now there is a Personal Injury at Track Level at Downsview...what a day. I can't wait to hear how the system will croak tomorrow after the storm.

AoD

I saw in the news reports that 133 buses were sent out to deal with the issue this morning. Question, do they actually have 133 buses sitting around for something like this or do they take them from other routes? If they do have extra buses where do they get the drivers? Do the streetcar drivers switch to the buses?

Lonely stranded streetcar.

IMG_7922.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7922.JPG
    IMG_7922.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 651
Wow, what a mess this morning. Was heading east on Dundas but since everything was diverting at Spadina I decided to switch to Bathurst and take the 511/509 to Union. At Bathurst & Fleet a TTC guy told everyone looking to go to Union to walk back to the southbound stop on Bathurst, where there would be a streetcar heading along QQW. That turned out to be a bus, and on heading up Bay we slowed to a crawl in the underpass. Most people got off at Front since it would be faster to walk anyway.

I wonder if they will ever budget in an upgrade to their byzantine power systems as clearly demonstrated today. As posted before, one would expect them to have at least 1 or more backups and certainly have a separate system to power the streetcars (on that note, it makes bbr's primove battery concept that much more inviting...).
Imagine when ATC comes online how much more taxing it will be to the grid.

I wonder if they will ever budget in an upgrade to their byzantine power systems as clearly demonstrated today. As posted before, one would expect them to have at least 1 or more backups and certainly have a separate system to power the streetcars (on that note, it makes bbr's primove battery concept that much more inviting...).
Imagine when ATC comes online how much more taxing it will be to the grid.
what I would like to know if whether if the signalling upgrade hadn't been bungled since its inception, we might have been able to turn trains at College rather than Bloor this morning.

Back