News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I think the unions in the States were so against single operator (pay-as-you-enter) for streetcars, that buses (which were pay-as-you-enter) were an easy financial solution for some cities down there.

See link.

In San Francisco, unions managed to convince the city government to forbid the operation of streetcars by just one person, ostensibly on safety grounds, but more likely to encourage employment of union members. Companies were also required to continue to provide service on all the routes they owned, and in many cases were actually required to modernize them, regardless of profitability. In addition to draining the corporations of funds, this also explains why they opted for cheaper buses on routes that were no longer profitable, but had to be maintained by law.

If the unions were to continue this negative action, they may provide a financial reason to just close the Line 4 Sheppard Subway.

"He was bracing with his foot for a terrorist attack which could happen any second thanks to proposed single-crewman subway operation. He would throw down the chips to distract them. Who wouldn't stop to eat chips?! Then he's use them like ninja stars to incapacitate them. He's a Canadian hero! He should be able to retire with a full pension today!"
-Bob Kinnear, probably.

A job action (especially unannounced) might provide enough ammunition for John Tory to able to push through contracting out operations as I think the public mostly dislikes the transit union.
A "job action," won't. A strike, maybe. But we've had wildcat strikes in recent memory and they were also forgotten quickly.
That's a MASSIVE issue for Tory to take on. He will be blasted from everywhere. Not to mention there's zero guarantee the outsourced contract party won't also be unionized. What business is going to be able to suddenly take on employment of thousands of TTC staff? The probability that happens is very low.

My informal survey of TTC operators (OK, I just read the comments on Facebook from a couple of TTC operators that I know personally, and all their colleagues who chimed in) suggests that plenty saw nothing wrong with what the driver was doing. The general reaction was "that's all? I do far worse", mentioning driving with food in hand, newspaper propped up in the steering wheel ("only read at red lights"), and even using their knee to hold the steering wheel while multitasking with their hands.

They also were receptive to some hypothetical explanations ("maybe he was diabetic and his blood sugar was low" "maybe his leg was cramping") which, while plausible in the abstract, have not been established in this case.

I find that scary. These are so-called professional drivers. While I think their concerns about breaks, blood sugar levels, and bad ergonomics need to be accommodated - low blood sugar, even for non-diabetics, does impair driving capability - none of these justify a decision to drive unsafely. The video pretty clearly showed the driver with an impaired grip on the wheel. Plenty of people drive this way, but in the final analysis it's a bad driving habit. Professionals know the difference between how to drive badly and how to drive with care.

There were also comments calling the complainant a "rat" and hinting that he need to get some unstated form of comeuppance. Again, I find that scary. Members of the public have the right to object if they feel that their driver is behaving unsafely. I'm not a fan of secretly filming people, but if I saw something and felt inclined to complain, I wouldn't hesitate to film it with my phone to corroborate my description of the problem. TTC staff, like cops, need to suck it up if people decide to film them. Welcome to 2016. My only reservation is that if the complainant were sincere, they ought to make their concern known to the TTC in privacy and give the TTC some reasonable period of time to address, before putting this out on social media where it will be sensationalised and where due process isn't respected.

My longwinded point is - one bad operator is not a federal case, but if the rank and file don't cringe when they see this, we have a safety culture problem, and I have seen some evidence of that. Yipes.

- Paul

"He was bracing with his foot for a terrorist attack which could happen any second thanks to proposed single-crewman subway operation. He would throw down the chips to distract them. Who wouldn't stop to eat chips?! Then he's use them like ninja stars to incapacitate them. He's a Canadian hero! He should be able to retire with a full pension today!"
-Bob Kinnear, probably.

Good thing I had dinner already, or I would have choked on it. Well done!

My informal survey of TTC operators (OK, I just read the comments on Facebook from a couple of TTC operators that I know personally, and all their colleagues who chimed in) suggests that plenty saw nothing wrong with what the driver was doing. The general reaction was "that's all? I do far worse", mentioning driving with food in hand, newspaper propped up in the steering wheel ("only read at red lights"), and even using their knee to hold the steering wheel while multitasking with their hands.

They also were receptive to some hypothetical explanations ("maybe he was diabetic and his blood sugar was low" "maybe his leg was cramping") which, while plausible in the abstract, have not been established in this case.

I find that scary. These are so-called professional drivers. While I think their concerns about breaks, blood sugar levels, and bad ergonomics need to be accommodated - low blood sugar, even for non-diabetics, does impair driving capability - none of these justify a decision to drive unsafely. The video pretty clearly showed the driver with an impaired grip on the wheel. Plenty of people drive this way, but in the final analysis it's a bad driving habit. Professionals know the difference between how to drive badly and how to drive with care.

There were also comments calling the complainant a "rat" and hinting that he need to get some unstated form of comeuppance. Again, I find that scary. Members of the public have the right to object if they feel that their driver is behaving unsafely. I'm not a fan of secretly filming people, but if I saw something and felt inclined to complain, I wouldn't hesitate to film it with my phone to corroborate my description of the problem. TTC staff, like cops, need to suck it up if people decide to film them. Welcome to 2016. My only reservation is that if the complainant were sincere, they ought to make their concern known to the TTC in privacy and give the TTC some reasonable period of time to address, before putting this out on social media where it will be sensationalised and where due process isn't respected.

My longwinded point is - one bad operator is not a federal case, but if the rank and file don't cringe when they see this, we have a safety culture problem, and I have seen some evidence of that. Yipes.

- Paul

We've all heard case of driving under the influence of; maintenance staff under the influence of, drivers blowing past stops and redlights, drivers engaging in extended breaks, workers colluding to rip TTC insurance off, stealing supplies, selling fake tokens, etc.

When you have an organization where there is such a litany of issues, and where a significant portion of the members believe there is nothing wrong with something as simple as improper driving, it might be past saving. Also - this isn't a case like the station attendant caught sleeping either. Leg cramps while having chips? My a**.

A job action (especially unannounced) might provide enough ammunition for John Tory to able to push through contracting out operations as I think the public mostly dislikes the transit union.

The problem is they don't give much of a damn what the public think. Personally I want to see the TTC razed and levelled as an organization, period.

AoD

Last edited:
How exactly does contracting out prevent job action. This is still present with YRT.

We've all heard case of driving under the influence of; maintenance staff under the influence of, drivers blowing past stops and redlights, drivers engaging in extended breaks, workers colluding to rip TTC insurance off, stealing supplies, selling fake tokens, etc.

When you have an organization where there is such a litany of issues, and where a significant portion of the members believe there is nothing wrong with something as simple as improper driving, it might be past saving. Also - this isn't a case like the station attendant caught sleeping either. Leg cramps while having chips? My a**.

Who says a significant portion of drivers believe there is nothing wrong? Just because someone rationalizes the behaviour doesn't mean they necessarily excuse them. Drivers can relate because of their experience. Insufficient leg space or improper layout are a thing. So is having to shorten or sacrifice your snack break.

Now, HERE'S a money-making idea for the TTC!

Spårakoff - Pub Tram / HOK-Elanto
The SpåraKOFF pub tram is one of a kind - a historic tram that has been converted into a pub, operating along the main tram routes in Helsinki past the city’s most famous sights. Routes can also be customised according to special themes. The interior of the tram is decorated in classic pub style with mahogany and brass, with seating for 30 customers to enjoy the fun atmosphere. The crew includes a driver and bar staff, who serve beer, cider, sparkling wine and soft drinks throughout the journey. SpåraKOFF can be hired for private functions throughout the year. Passengers can take with a tour guide for the ride, or even a professional actor for theme tours. See: http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/prof...rvice-suppliers/sparakoff-pub-tram-hok-elanto

I was late today and missed the sweet spot for the 504 which is before 8AM, when there's not much traffic or GB students clogging things up. Wound up on a packed 504 shuttle bus stuck in clogged lanes behind right turning vehicles (no, the buses don't just drive around this obstacle). Stopped at Victoria Street for 3 minutes and couldn't get off because there's no stop there anymore after people who don't use the 504 decided for us we were better off without it.

At least it was a free ride! No presto readers on the bus. Waived on by the driver so he could examine the Metropasses of the next riders to verify they had valid ones. LOL

Last edited:

Back