News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There's no "huge matrix". You basically have free surface transfers for two hours, as long as you don't get on the exact same vehicle that you took earlier on. The Presto readers don't know what route they're operating or what direction they're going in, and while they do know their current location, the location data is imprecise and often unavailable (which is why a lot of the time you just see a random stop outside a bus garage in your usage history)

Which explains why the TTC is shutting down the 2 hour transfer project on St Clair starting in September when they start to move the Flexities up there, right?

Oh, wait a second....

</sarcasm>

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The ability to take non-continuous trips on a single fare on Presto has been well reported in the Presto thread.

I'd expect there is a "huge matrix" listing all the TTC routes and the transfer opportunities for each route. However, because TTC customers aren't always required to tap on/off when entering/leaving a fare-paid zone, it is frequently impossible to determine conclusively whether or not certain trips are continuous. In cases where it can't be determined, the system likely defaults to a two hour transfer rule.

For example, if you tap on anywhere on the 29 Dufferin, and then tap on the Islington bus 30 mins later, I'd expect that you'd be charged another fare, as there's no way to travel between those two routes without being forced to tap on (all subway and surface routes connecting to 29 Dufferin require a tap)

However, if you were to tap on at St Andrew Station, and then tap again on the 511 Bathurst streetcar at the Bathurst @ Fleet St stop within two hours, you wouldn't ever be charged another fare, because it is possible to make a continuous between those two points without tapping.

In a more extreme example, you could tap on the Bathurst Streetcar and tap again on the Lawrence East bus at the Kennedy @ Lawrence stop, and not be charged, because it's possible to make a continuous trip there without tapping

Because the TTC network affords so many opportunities to transfer vehicles without tapping, I would not be surprised to learn that most Presto trips on the network are defaulting to the two hours rule.

For example, if you tap on anywhere on the 29 Dufferin, and then tap on the Islington bus 30 mins later, I'd expect that you'd be charged another fare, as there's no way to travel between those two routes without being forced to tap on (all subway and surface routes connecting to 29 Dufferin require a tap)

You aren't. I've done this on the 84 and 32 (with a subway trip in between) several times.

As to the 'non-linear matrix'...here's a mind-boggle: Apparently the TTC can program their Presto algorithms (at least recently, this was yet another glitch in the past) to transfer from diverted streetcars (College, Dundas, Queen, etc) to the shuttle buses to tie the original routing across running the same route number, w/o charging you twice. (I presume, I don't trust them, and when asking for a transfer on the College car a few days back after paying with Presto, was told "no" when asking for a transfer..."that's Presto's problem, not mine"). So if they state it's not possible to reprogram for the 72 bus at Union, and others, then how is it possible to do it for the shuttles?

You forgot about Wilson Station. Not really applicable in your scenario, but it has a transfer-free connection there.

They'll just put two or three new streetcars just for show and the rest will be the old CLRVs
Depending on delivery of the cars, I expect to see 4 and that will be pushing it. One hopes there is one at each end at all times, as it will be a long wait for someone needing that lowfloor car if they aren't.

TTC is supposed to receive 3 cars this month and so far only one with 17 days to go. 2 are due in Aug.

TTC does have all the cars it needs for 509, 510 and 514 for peak service out of the 38 they have now. The 39th should be in service late next week.

If delivery stay the course, TTC should have 42 come Sept 3rd or 43 depending when 4444 arrives in Aug and enter service.

Not sure of the best TTC string to post this, so doing so here:

Steve Munro's latest blog installment:
[...]
  • What has now become the Automatic Train Control project was originally intended simply to replace the original 1950s-era signal system on the oldest part of Line 1 YUS. However, in order to access funding from various governments, this was “sold” as a scheme to improve subway capacity. In fact, it was only a replacement for existing signals using comparable technology, and would have little benefit for overall line capacity.
  • Various add-ons to the signal project including, eventually, automatic control over the entire line brought multiple vendors and incompatible technologies, a situation that was eventually “solved” by more or less starting over with a single vendor.
  • Neither the original TYSSE budget nor the contract for the TR trains on line 1 included automatic train control.
  • The original scheme for a mixed mode signalling system would have seen non-ATC trains including works equipment operate with more restrictive rules using conventional signals, although how exactly this would work was never clear. With the move to full ATC, all equipment that will run on lines 1 and 4 (Sheppard, effectively a branch of Yonge) must be ATC-equipped.
  • Extension of Line 1 and provision for additional service with ATC requires a larger fleet, and that triggered expansion of storage facilities
  • [...]

Today:
Line 2: Jane to Ossington closure on July 15 and 16

Also today:
Jul 15, 2017 10:49 Bloor West Villager
[
Bloor West Village will be abuzz with excitement during Saturday’s all-day street festival.

The Bloor West Street Fest will shut down Bloor between Runnymede Road and Armadale Avenue into the early night, with a whole day’s worth of family friendly fun planned in between. ][...]
https://www.insidetoronto.com/whats...ll-day-street-festival-in-bloor-west-village/

Fff'ing brilliant co-ordination. What an absolute disaster trying to get the Line 2 replacement buses (including articulateds) running through to Jane without going through residential side streets.

And to top things off:
Elevator Alert: Jane Station, concourse to street level, out of service.

Last updated 6:26 PM

Last edited:
Today:

Also today:
[
Bloor West Village will be abuzz with excitement during Saturday’s all-day street festival.

The Bloor West Street Fest will shut down Bloor between Runnymede Road and Armadale Avenue into the early night, with a whole day’s worth of family friendly fun planned in between. ][...]
https://www.insidetoronto.com/whats...ll-day-street-festival-in-bloor-west-village/

Fff'ing brilliant co-ordination. What an absolute disaster trying to get the Line 2 replacement buses (including articulateds) running through to Jane without going through residential side streets.

And to top things off:

Appalling!

Appalling!
Today:

Also today:
[

And to top things off:

I can't believe that the city would allow a street festival to detour TTC shuttle buses during a subway closure. Although there are an enormous number of these road closures, this is the first time I remember that TTC subway replacement shuttle buses were detoured due to an event. This was on the same weekend that Lake Shore was closed for Honda Indy for 4 days, causing delays of 30-60 minutes on Gardiner Expressway. Almost all east-west methods of transportation in the south part of the city except for Lakeshore West GO line were disrupted yesterday.

Back