News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Is making the Queen's Quay and Bay Tunnel bus-compatible possible? Or is the turning radius at QQ too small and the tunnels may be too narrow?

Is making the Queen's Quay and Bay Tunnel bus-compatible possible? Or is the turning radius at QQ too small and the tunnels may be too narrow?
In short, not possible without severe modifications. The tunnels throughout the whole thing are pretty much too narrow for that kind of operation.

I wont even mention the financial cost, since it makes the whole idea redundant.

Are they? Buses are barely any wider (102 inches vs. 100 inches) than streetcars.
To start with, turns will be an issue, since a streetcar is on a track it makes every turn the same way every time. Bus drivers are turning a big analog controller and so the turns will vary. Even on straightaways a bus will not go perfectly straight as drivers must continually make corrections, but a streetcar doesn't need the same margin. All this means a streetcar can get away with a narrower lane, and when you're building a tunnel, you'll likely build the narrowest one needed for your target vehicle.

To start with, turns will be an issue, since a streetcar is on a track it makes every turn the same way every time. Bus drivers are turning a big analog controller and so the turns will vary. Even on straightaways a bus will not go perfectly straight as drivers must continually make corrections, but a streetcar doesn't need the same margin. All this means a streetcar can get away with a narrower lane, and when you're building a tunnel, you'll likely build the narrowest one needed for your target vehicle.

A guided busway could solve this problem. It's basically a bus that runs on tracks:

A guided busway could solve this problem. It's basically a bus that runs on tracks:

Guided buses are problematic, as Adelaide is discovering, not to mention that for Onion Station, as the layers are peeled back, those 'guided buses' would have to be electric, as there's no ventilation for internal combustion vehicles.

Adelaide: Australasian Bus and Coach
ADELAIDE PUBLIC TRANSPORT LAGGING BEHIND, SAYS EXPERT
Date: 19.03.2018
[...]
SO WHAT ARE OTHER CITIES DOING?
Cities in the United Kingdom, France and Germany have been investing heavily in light rail infrastructure in recent years.

Professor Currie said there was "overwhelming evidence" that the likes of trams bolstered activity levels and urban density around such transport corridors.

"These are very efficient and improve job opportunities, commercial development and economic activity in inner areas and improves life quality."

He said buses were currently the majority carrier for Adelaide, but "unfortunately they share the road space with traffic so they're reasonably slow".
[...]
https://www.busnews.com.au/industry-news/1803/adelaide-public-transport-lagging-behind-says-expert

Buses aren't the answer, even if they could fit in that tunnel.

What troubles me is that none of the signage outside the tunnel is affirmative.... needs a big green arrow saying “Go here”. It’s all “Don’t “ messages.

I do find QQ confusing. In an ambiguous situation, one needs to give the driver an obvious “Do” option. Otherwise, the driver is left performing a “process of elimination” which may take longer than the driver has available.

Plus, the “Do Not Enter” signage is not clarified by lane. The sign to the right of the tunnel does not clarify and can be misread as a center mounted sign indicating no entry to the correct lanes, thereby discouraging the driver from doing the correct turn.

I’m sure it all complies with the HTA but that doesnt mean it’s the optimal human factors treatment.

- Paul

I have said it before and I will say it again.

Painting the ROW will vastly enhance everyone’s awareness that it is a no-go zone for vehicles or pedestrians. It’s easy, it’s cheap, it has been employed elsewhere in the GTA and it’s effective.

Can anyone explain to me why this either hasn’t been considered or if so, been rejected?

Painting the ROW will vastly enhance everyone’s awareness that it is a no-go zone for vehicles or pedestrians. It’s easy, it’s cheap, it has been employed elsewhere in the GTA and it’s effective.

Can anyone explain to me why this either hasn’t been considered or if so, been rejected?
Certainly worth a few cans of paint and, as you say, cheap. Of course, ;people who miss rumble strips, signs and flashing lights will probably ignore or not notice paint but ....

Presumably there is concern that a) it snows and b) when it doesn't snow, there is a lack of urgency to maintain. Crosswalk lines are usually faded to almost nothing before the city renews them, for example.

Back