News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The separated bay designs - Warden, Victoria Park, Islington and Eglinton - were and are hugely impractical to make accessible. It turned out that the structural slab under the bays at Eglinton was a good enough excuse to close them off (and soon to be the same with Islington), but rather than try and install 8 or 10 or 12 elevators at a station the TTC did the smart thing and rebuilt Victoria Park Station and will do the same with Warden.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

^ Did anyone talk to him? Ha ha...

More like does anyone even recognize him? That cruel statement aside, I do have to give him points for a) being at work and b) taking the subway - that's a lot more than one can say about the Duke of Windsor (Dr.) even on his best of days.

Anyways, back to the topic of Islington - I am surprised they still haven't started to shore up the bus terminal yet.

AoFD

Wheelchair map is express subway

YnCROD2.png

u56BAZf.jpg

Last edited:
The Spadina Station walkway has advertising for some upcoming CBC show on the wall. Before the new streetcars entered revenue service, there was no advertising since 1978! In other words, between 1978 and 2014, the walkway had no advertising.

Last edited:
Random thoughts from riding transit in San Francisco:

It's cool that on Market St they run underground BART, Muni metro (underground streetcars/light rail), historic streetcars from around the world on surface (including TTC), and trolley buses & regular buses, all on the same street.

Trolley buses are great, as quiet as streetcars. Waaay quieter than normal buses.

Cable cars are fun to ride when hanging on outside up & down hill.

Muni Metro runs light rail vehicles in tunnel, on surface in mixed traffic and on private ROW (like our proposed surface LRTs). I didn't ride during rush hour, but they seem to perform pretty well. They also run them in multi-unit trains of 2.

IMG_6112.JPG

BART has bike racks within the station itself.

Dwell time (time spent per stop) on all Muni vehicles were low since none of the vehicles during my time at SF, including BART, were nearly as crowded as any TTC vehicle, as well as POP with all door boarding.

Having said all that, my main take-away regarding Toronto is that I hope TTC buses & streetcars go POP soon, it was great using any door. Also, if capacity increases to meet demand, I can see that a less crowded system can mean more comfortable trips and less dwell time as well.

Attachments

• IMG_6112.JPG
    IMG_6112.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 699
Last edited:
I find it a bit ironic that some people defended putting transit stops close together for "accessibility," yet it has only been relatively recently that the TTC has started to take accessibility seriously. North York Centre, the last station to be built without an elevator, opened in the late 1980s. And I don't think the TTC actually started acquiring accessible buses until the mid 1990s.

But apparently we must put a streetcar stop at Queen and Victoria, because of people who cannot walk 50m from Yonge St.

I find it a bit ironic that some people defended putting transit stops close together for "accessibility," yet it has only been relatively recently that the TTC has started to take accessibility seriously. North York Centre, the last station to be built without an elevator, opened in the late 1980s. And I don't think the TTC actually started acquiring accessible buses until the mid 1990s.

But apparently we must put a streetcar stop at Queen and Victoria, because of people who cannot walk 50m from Yonge St.

And it's a shorter walk than the subway station at the same location. Taking into account platform, turnstiles, (elevator or escalator), and then sidewalk.

Can I take it that you weren't around to see the protests of the lack of accessibility upon the opening of the SRT?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

And I don't think the TTC actually started acquiring accessible buses until the mid 1990s.

Reliable accessible buses weren't really readily available until then anyway. Plus there was a massive recession which knocked ridership down by 20% and not a single new bus was purchased between 1991 and 1996.

People are saying that a wall at Lansdowne or Dundas West has collapsed, anyone know more?

^This is why the city needs a DRL. (A picture is worth a thousand words)

There is a good chance a Western DRL would run through Dundas West (meets up with numerous GO and TTC streetcar lines, an obvious hub).

Frequent Milton service would have helped.

Back