News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

In decades past, during extreme winter weather buses parked outside for the night were all left running to make sure they were ready to go immediately. Not the best solution for air quality but it made sure that there were enough buses for the morning service.

I still don't understand why city buses have such difficulty starting up. School buses and tractors are left out in the EXTREME cold outside of Toronto. There is a block heater that is on a timer. A few hours before you want to crank the motor you turn on the heater. You also put a gel in the fuel to make sure it stays a liquid. And no problem turning over the motor.

Why are the buses we buy in Toronto so different? Do we need to spend millions on a warehouse instead of a row of pillars with plugs?

A garage does not have to be heated much. Left over heat from the engines, washing, body heat, and heat escaping from offices or workshops generally is enough to keep buses warm over a very cold night. Just keep the temperature at or above freezing is more than enough.

In decades past, during extreme winter weather buses parked outside for the night were all left running to make sure they were ready to go immediately. Not the best solution for air quality but it made sure that there were enough buses for the morning service.

I think they were doing that relatively recently as well, out of habit, and it was something that wasn't necessary/beneficial where the hybrid buses were concerned.

I was on the bay bus yesterday and noticed one of the Orion VII buses backdoor was full glass (top and bottom panel vs only the top). Is that new or were they testing something?

I was on the bay bus yesterday and noticed one of the Orion VII buses backdoor was full glass (top and bottom panel vs only the top). Is that new or were they testing something?

There are a number of buses - 4 I think in total - where they needed to replace the rear doors and the TTC's stock of them had been used up. So instead of waiting for the correctly spec'd parts to come from their normal supplier, they purchased off-the-shelf parts from a different supplier.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Was reading my CUTA magazine and apparently the TTC will be getting 40 foot Nova buses next year. While great to hear, I feel that at this point the TTC should be focusing on 60 foot buses instead.

The articulated 60 foot busses are far too long for the majority of our bus routes, in my opinion. TTC could purchase more for some of the more heavily used route, but the focus should be on replacing our aging 40 foot busses with newer models.

Did the CUTA magazine mention what specific bus model the TTC was ordering?

After seeing how well it worked in San Francisco, and it seems to work OK on Spadina, the biggest improvement I'd like to see for all our surface routes including buses is to go POP with all door boarding.

Hopefully the streetcars will happen in January as Byford wants.

After seeing how well it worked in San Francisco, and it seems to work OK on Spadina, the biggest improvement I'd like to see for all our surface routes including buses is to go POP with all door boarding.

Hopefully the streetcars will happen in January as Byford wants.

Except for those people who will only enter and exit through the front doors only. That's not going to change.

Except for those people who will only enter and exit through the front doors only. That's not going to change.
It WILL change in time as people get used to the new arrangements and as more and more streetcars are new ones. Breaking old habits does take a while!

The articulated 60 foot busses are far too long for the majority of our bus routes, in my opinion. TTC could purchase more for some of the more heavily used route, but the focus should be on replacing our aging 40 foot busses with newer models.

Did the CUTA magazine mention what specific bus model the TTC was ordering?

Nope, but it is a safe bet it will be the standard one, not the LFX BRT model. I would also argue that we have enough 40 foot buses to keep us going into the next decade, especially as new subway and light rail lines open over the next few years, and that the focus should be on expanding our 60 foot fleet.

Admittedly though, they are likely looking to retire more 40' buses than normal, since they want to get rid of the hybrids. Hopefully after this order the TTC gets serious about expanding their 60' fleet.

Can our current busses last until 2022? Its my understanding that the Orions, particularly the hybrids, are becoming increasingly difficult to maintain. Or maybe this was just affecting the hybrid fleet?

Back