News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There is no crew changing at Bloor/Yonge. From time to time a crew member will change off between trains on the BD at Yonge. Have yet to see one for the Yonge line.

In fact the YUS does not do any crew swapping outside the change point from all my travels over the years compare to BD.

There are only two places where crews change on the YUS - Eglinton and Wilson. Those are the locations of the crew offices.

Now, what they will do elsewhere is swap trains between crews. They can do this anywhere (although obviously some stations are better for it than others), and they have most certainly done them at Bloor, although they try hard not to. This is done to try and get the crews back on time or something close to it, to try and minimize overtime. I have seen situations where it was timed so well that passengers have had no idea that it was done, and others where we have sat for 3 to 4 minutes for the other train to arrive and for that crew to make their way to their respective positions.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Cool TTC Star article on those changes yesterday. The backlog of trains going up Downsview after 6pm almost every single day bugs the hell out of me.

Cool TTC Star article on those changes yesterday. The backlog of trains going up Downsview after 6pm almost every single day bugs the hell out of me.

It's not just past 6pm, it's as early as 2pm.
It's part of why I stopped going that way home.
I commute between UofT from Brampton daily.
That leaves me with several options, via Downsview and York U now being the longest one, due to the construction at York and how long it takes to get past Wilson. (And at times I've seen it backed up as far as Lawrence West)
I've rarely seen it at Kipling though, although now I'll end up there mid-day.

More specifically, Line 2 MUST by design have lower capacity than Line 1 (so long as a very large %age of riders continue to transfer).

It rapidly becomes a safety problem when Line 2 even temporarily has higher capacity.

It's greatly preferred to leave people on the platforms at Broadview or Bathurst than to have significant overcrowding at St. George or Bloor.
Where is gets interesting is that Eglinton + Bloor must have a capacity lower than Yonge. For every Eglinton train we add, one will have to be removed from Bloor. Scheduling when the Eglinton line opens ought to be fascinating if GO RER isn't able to take some of the load.

London goes as far as to have trains skip-over major transfer stations, close subway station entrances temporarily, and open/close various walkways which have different walking lengths (folks prefer to walk an extra 3 minutes than stand and wait for 3 minutes; a neat phenomenon). Byford, being well aware of these struggles, has strong interest in the DRL to help prevent that kind of situation.

With two hour transfers, perhaps close Yonge station and have people transfer from Bay instead? Though I'm not too sure if the underground mall would like that many extra people going through it (is cramped at the best of times as it is).

London goes as far as to have trains skip-over major transfer stations, close subway station entrances temporarily...
Any examples of this? I haven't noticed skipping. The only scheduled closure of an entrance I've encountered is Camden Town on a Sunday (which is because of crowding, believe it or not ...). Sure, they'll close entrances if there's a service stop or delay, and the platforms are overloaded ...

Now that's just ridiculous, but it really is your own fault.

What you should have done is walk yourself up to the front of the train drive it to wherever you were going. Maybe you could have watched this 8 minute tutorial on the signal system if you had internet, but I'm sure you'd do fine without it ;)
Ha! I could have done it live if they had cell service in the tunnels!

Any examples of this? I haven't noticed skipping. The only scheduled closure of an entrance I've encountered is Camden Town on a Sunday (which is because of crowding, believe it or not ...). Sure, they'll close entrances if there's a service stop or delay, and the platforms are overloaded ...

Yeah, that's just it, they're not scheduled closures. Station managers make these decisions on the fly.

Pretty sure it was one of the episodes of "The Tube" which described the various manoeuvres staff make to prevent overcrowding on platforms. I couldn't tell you which episode though.

Found a playlist of them:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE1FD089BD4470809

Last edited:
Yeah, that's just it, they're not scheduled closures. Station managers make these decisions on the fly.

Pretty sure it was one of the episodes of "Working on the Underground - The Tube" which described the various manoeuvres staff make to prevent overcrowding on platforms. I couldn't tell you which episode though.
Oh, I saw that. Where they blocked some walkways at Bank station during rush hour to create longer walking paths? I don't recall them skipping stations though. I've seen some football specials run through stations without stopping on a Saturday ... though that's a different issue :)

Oh, I saw that. Where they blocked some walkways at Bank station during rush hour to create longer walking paths? I don't recall them skipping stations though. I've seen some football specials run through stations without stopping on a Saturday ... though that's a different issue :)

Skipping stations is incredibly rare and probably at the train drivers judgement. It would only occur if people would be unable to get off the train due to crowds already attempting to exit the station. I suppose if most people on the platform have their back turned to the train and they're right at the edge of the platform, there isn't much of a choice. The other option being to hold and wait, then unload.

Last edited:
Back in June of 2012, the subway trains bypassed the Dundas and Queen subway stations because of the Eaton Centre shooting. See link. So it has happened.

Back in June of 2012, the subway trains bypassed the Dundas and Queen subway stations because of the Eaton Centre shooting. See link. So it has happened.
Trains frequently skip stations in Toronto during such incidents.

GO Trains were skipping Eglinton station this evening because of a murder there.

I think that's different than trains skipping major transfer stations.

Skipping stations is incredibly rare and probably at the train drivers judgement. It would only occur if people would be unable to get off the train due to crowds already attempting to exit the station. I suppose if most people on the platform have their back turned to the train and they're right at the edge of the platform, there isn't much of a choice. The other option being to hold and wait, then unload.

After Arsenal matches, eastbound picadilly line trains will not stop at Holloway Road Station to prevent overcrowding. So there are special cirumstances where trains will skip stations.

http://www.arsenal.com/emirates-stadium/get-to...-emirates-stadium

SEPTA operates a "skip-stop" service on it's Market Frankford line where "A" and "B" trains will only stop at station marked "A" and "B" respectively.

SEPTA operates a "skip-stop" service on it's Market Frankford line where "A" and "B" trains will only stop at station marked "A" and "B" respectively.
Yes, that's what one tends to mean by skipping stops, rather than London Underground's occasional use during extreme crowding for special events.

A woman had been struck and killed by a TTC bus in front of "the boring mall (according to the satiric TTC subway map)."

Back