News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

If they are to demolished all of it, the retail will have to be close first.

I'm not sure I see the point of this comment. The retail there is always a secondary interest to the primary - moving people.

And besides, it certainly didn't slow down the progress at Eglinton Station when it came time for the TTC to shut down the old bus bays.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Islington Bus terminal is literally falling apart. They've had to permanently close two of the bus bays already. It will definitely be demolished and replaced.
The cement was falling when I was in university. Longer than some posters here have been on earth...

On Race days....TTC used to have buses with roll signs for the "RACES" at Woodbine. I remember dozens of buses at Islington for "RACES". One weekday evening and Saturdays I think. Couldn't have been Sundays. Heavens...gambling on Sundays. We couldn't even shop outside of gas, drug and convenience stores.

The cement was falling when I was in university. Longer than some posters here have been on earth...

On Race days....TTC used to have buses with roll signs for the "RACES" at Woodbine. I remember dozens of buses at Islington for "RACES". One weekday evening and Saturdays I think. Couldn't have been Sundays. Heavens...gambling on Sundays. We couldn't even shop outside of gas, drug and convenience stores.

"Longer than some posters have been on earth "

I didn't know that a person's age measures a building's lifespan. Likely one of the dumbest things I have heard today.

The cement was falling when I was in university. Longer than some posters here have been on earth

Given what happened with the slab at Eglinton and VP and with the teamway at Union I can see them closing the terminal off very soon out of caution.

The bus terminal is falling apart, bays have been sealed off for safety reasons and the station is under perpetual construction. Eventually some sort of ministry will close it for safety reasons if the TTCs lawyers don't demand it beforehand.

Given what happened with the slab at Eglinton and VP and with the teamway at Union I can see them closing the terminal off very soon out of caution.

The bus terminal is falling apart, bays have been sealed off for safety reasons and the station is under perpetual construction. Eventually some sort of ministry will close it for safety reasons if the TTCs lawyers don't demand it beforehand.

The 37, 110 and 50 can easily serve the Miway Platforms, or loop on street, or divert to Old Mill Station ( since the Royal York Terminal is closed, and Kipling already has enough routes )

"Longer than some posters have been on earth "

I didn't know that a person's age measures a building's lifespan. Likely one of the dumbest things I have heard today.
'Twas only meant to highlight the length of time which this issue has been allowed to slide. The concourse had water problems when I was a student. You had to dance around the safety cones on the way to Laura Secord's or the coffee shop. The bus bay roofs began falling then as well. I can only imagine that once Kipling opened and what was the Shipp Centre (at the time) was built that the TTC thought that the bus station would be rapidly developed. But the city has had philosophical problems with that concept for thirty years and we have not broken the logjam yet.

Metrolinx refused to come up with the money for a temporarily terminal at Islington until the Regional Terminal at Kipling opens for miWay. Also. Tridel having a 5 year lease for a sales office to the point the current terminal will remain as is. Various repairs has been done to keep the surface bays open, other than the current 2 close until 2020.

The 37, 110 and 50 can easily serve the Miway Platforms, or loop on street, or divert to Old Mill Station ( since the Royal York Terminal is closed, and Kipling already has enough routes )
That is the plan once miWay leaves along with the tearing down the current overhead. Stairs will be block off except the south stairs. TTC buses will no longer drive where they have since day one and takes the pressure off the ceiling for the walkway and retail.

miWay routes could go back to one option that was used in the past that saw riders being drop off and loaded around the block on the east side of Islington, forcing longer travel time to/from that block for riders.

The only way the current TTC site can be redevelop the current is for condos and something TTC not happy to see, since it brings in less money than a office building. Since there are going to be office towers at six point, zero chance seeing an office building at Islington. The earliest a tower can be build with underground parking and connection to TTC is about 2025+, even if its another developer other than Tridel is doing it. Construction would have to start 2021.

Metrolinx refused to come up with the money for a temporarily terminal at Islington until the Regional Terminal at Kipling opens for miWay. Also. Tridel having a 5 year lease for a sales office to the point the current terminal will remain as is. Various repairs has been done to keep the surface bays open, other than the current 2 close until 2020.

That is the plan once miWay leaves along with the tearing down the current overhead. Stairs will be block off except the south stairs. TTC buses will no longer drive where they have since day one and takes the pressure off the ceiling for the walkway and retail.

miWay routes could go back to one option that was used in the past that saw riders being drop off and loaded around the block on the east side of Islington, forcing longer travel time to/from that block for riders.

The only way the current TTC site can be redevelop the current is for condos and something TTC not happy to see, since it brings in less money than a office building. Since there are going to be office towers at six point, zero chance seeing an office building at Islington. The earliest a tower can be build with underground parking and connection to TTC is about 2025+, even if its another developer other than Tridel is doing it. Construction would have to start 2021.

Makes sense. MiWay will be gone from Islington not long from now.

Was reading the November 2018 CEO's Report, which suggests that the last 7 ALRVs are to remain until 2020. I wonder whether that will actually be achievable.

Was reading the November 2018 CEO's Report, which suggests that the last 7 ALRVs are to remain until 2020. I wonder whether that will actually be achievable.
Interesting. That table on page 56 of the report, does indeed say that 7 ALRVs will be decommissioned in 2020.

A month earlier, the October 2018 report explicitly said that "All ALRV vehicles will be decommissioned by December 2019" on page 55.

I'm surprised that they'd have revisited this and decided not to have them all retired during 2019.

I'd have also assumed that having all the CLRVs retired in 2021 would be conditional on TTC awarding Bombardier the add-on order for 60 or so extra cars.

Interesting. That table on page 56 of the report, does indeed say that 7 ALRVs will be decommissioned in 2020.

A month earlier, the October 2018 report explicitly said that "All ALRV vehicles will be decommissioned by December 2019" on page 55.

I'm surprised that they'd have revisited this and decided not to have them all retired during 2019.

I'd have also assumed that having all the CLRVs retired in 2021 would be conditional on TTC awarding Bombardier the add-on order for 60 or so extra cars.
could jsut be that they now retire a single month later in january instead of december.

Back