News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It isn't nearly as bad as the NW street entrance - everyone held onto the grab rails for dear life the last few days.

AoD
And it's not as if it would be news to them:
level 1
instagigated

8 points·1 year ago

Yep. Slipped at the top of the stairs at Dundas and almost went plummeting down if I hadn't reacted and grabbed the railing. I didn't expect the slip at all. Ended up cutting my hand against the stone wall when going for the railing. Bled the entire 30 minutes home.
If I slipped and broke something - would I get to sue the TTC? I feel like they don't have anything left to give.

Its also not a well used stair in the first place.
The one in Dundas Square, at the southwest corner of Dundas and Yonge? It's very well used. There's always other people using it when I use it.

Its days are number once the new entrance for it is open. Very few of that style exist today.
Oh, I'd missed that was happening. What's the timeframe? Is that part of the second exit project they've been deferring for years?

Easy one. Relief Line - the benefits are revolutionary, not evolutionary like B/Y expansion.

AoD
There's no other logical choice. The subway is running beyond max. If not bypassed completely, it must be partially relieved before anything else can be done, or any project of size done to it, like $1B+ to redo Yonge and Bloor station. It will just buckle elsewhere, and the investment rendered moot.

Relief Line no matter what it is. And done big. From Pape to Osgoode is like wrapping a band-aid on a bursting jugular.
I don’t believe we have the option or EITHER/OR.
Logic makes it very easy: There's no capacity to tap to extend Line 2.

I say do a complete bypass of the subway system altogether, drain off ridership, and when the subway is back to design capacity or below, THEN consider tinkering at the edges. Not before. Leave the subway pretty much the way it is now, and get maximum value out of it over time for what's already put into it. You can only keep Old Nellie as your dependable vehicle for so many years before you need something newer, better and dependable. Keep Nellie, but as the second choice. And for shopping.

Nellie will need investment for upkeep though, yet another reason not to add any more load. It's breaking as is. It's time to Think Big or go home...if you can.

Last edited:
Thanks! I hadn't grasped all the implications when I saw that one.

"does not negatively impact station egress" Well if you are on the east side of Yonge, or right at that corner, that's going to make a bit longer walk. Though that's probably minor compared to the issue with how narrow and slippery those stairs were. And how busy that sidewalk is.

What I'd really like to see is how (when!) they are going to put the second entrance into that station. Other than Union, Dundas is the busiest subway station in the city that isn't a transfer location or terminal. The north end of that platform feels dangerous at time - it needs another exit point for safety.

Preliminary Report on the reconstruction of King/Queen/Roncy.

There are a number of substantive changes to the streetscape, including road narrowing, additional bike lanes, bike boulevard, new exclusive ROW up to the intersection from the west and various other changes.

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2019/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-124346.pdf

Thanks for posting this! I'm gonna have a nice read on this one...

EDIT-They want to allow left turns from Queensway to Roncesvalles? Really? That's gonna cause a HUGE increase in problems. And traffic lights at Sunnyside is gonna be intresting... I see they want to move the Glendale WB stop to farside, that's going to be intresting too...

Thanks! I hadn't grasped all the implications when I saw that one.

"does not negatively impact station egress" Well if you are on the east side of Yonge, or right at that corner, that's going to make a bit longer walk. Though that's probably minor compared to the issue with how narrow and slippery those stairs were. And how busy that sidewalk is.

What I'd really like to see is how (when!) they are going to put the second entrance into that station. Other than Union, Dundas is the busiest subway station in the city that isn't a transfer location or terminal. The north end of that platform feels dangerous at time - it needs another exit point for safety.

Dundas Station is for sure a very busy station at times, especially at rush hour and even on weekends too. Have been there on weekends seeing crowds of people.

Taking things off topic. Anyone notice the articulation points on the TRs have gotten progressively squeakier/noiser. Tho I'm more partial to the T1, the open gangway of TR is obviously good. But the noise can get a bit irksome and seems like it will only get louder the way things are going. Has this been observed by TTC at all?

Thanks for posting this! I'm gonna have a nice read on this one...

EDIT-They want to allow left turns from Queensway to Roncesvalles? Really? That's gonna cause a HUGE increase in problems. And traffic lights at Sunnyside is gonna be intresting... I see they want to move the Glendale WB stop to farside, that's going to be intresting too...

No mention on what the traffic signal sequence will be. Will the current 3-way phase continue? Southbound Roncesvalles, northbound King Street West, and eastbound The Queensway/westbound Queen Street West? Or some other setup? Advanced left turns for single-occupant automobiles over the streetcars or real transit priority for the streetcars?

Last edited:
No mention on what the traffic signal sequence will be. Will the correct 3-way phase continue? Southbound Roncesvalles, northbound King Street West, and eastbound The Queensway/westbound Queen Street West? Or some other setup? Advanced left turns for single-occupant automobiles over the streetcars or real transit priority for the streetcars?

I hope streetcars get proirty over single occupancy automobiles, but we don't know. They current intercestion sequence results in pedestrians waiting a while to cross the street.

Taking things off topic. Anyone notice the articulation points on the TRs have gotten progressively squeakier/noiser. Tho I'm more partial to the T1, the open gangway of TR is obviously good. But the noise can get a bit irksome and seems like it will only get louder the way things are going. Has this been observed by TTC at all?

It's definitely evident whenever I ride the trains, but remember, the T1s had some really bad noise issues back when Andy Byford took over as CEO of the TTC. If anything, it's probably just due to their age and the fact that the TRs undergo less maintenance than the T1s. It's probably just a pin connection that needs some lubricant in most cases, I doubt it's a serious fault in the construction of the TRs (Despite Bombardier's notorious reputation for quality). If people complain enough, the TTC will probably notice.

It's definitely evident whenever I ride the trains, but remember, the T1s had some really bad noise issues back when Andy Byford took over as CEO of the TTC. If anything, it's probably just due to their age and the fact that the TRs undergo less maintenance than the T1s. It's probably just a pin connection that needs some lubricant in most cases, I doubt it's a serious fault in the construction of the TRs (Despite Bombardier's notorious reputation for quality). If people complain enough, the TTC will probably notice.

I heard from several people that the T1s might last to 2040.... with a ten year rebuild in 2030 allowing them to stay in service until 2040. They would have to get equpiment compatible for ATC, however.

Back