News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

If only they also display that the train will be going out-of-service at such-and-such station (short turn?), instead of announcing it in the tunnel before that station.

Coming to Infrastructure Committee next week:

Coordinated Street Furniture Program Agreement Update

Origin
(March 19, 2019) Report from the General Manager, Transportation Services​

Recommendations
The General Manager, Transportation Services recommends that:

1. City Council authorize the General Manager, Transportation Services to enter into and execute an additional amending agreement to the Street Furniture Agreement dated July 20, 2007 with Astral Media Outdoor (Toronto) G. P. to implement the following objectives with no financial impact to the City or to Astral Media's capital program expenditure for the Coordinated Street Furniture Program, and in a form acceptable to the City Solicitor:

a. Allow for the implementation of a transit shelter heating kit to be installed at select transit shelters from within the existing envelope for Astral Media's capital program expenditure.

Great, something I've been pushing for; now if we could get snowmelt systems installed on the sidewalk in front of those shelters we'd be be gold!

In respect of the coordinated infrastructure program above, as noted by @DSC

The total number of shelters to get heaters is 100 over 7 years with 15 this year. Also of note, for better or worse, more public toilets (5),

The rest of the rollout schedule for various infrastructure elements is listed below from the attachment to the City report.

In respect of the coordinated infrastructure program above, as noted by @DSC

The total number of shelters to get heaters is 100 over 7 years with 15 this year. Also of note, for better or worse, more public toilets (5),

The rest of the rollout schedule for various infrastructure elements is listed below from the attachment to the City report.

View attachment 178319

I thought the Pubic Toilets were nixed. Anyway, heated shelters are lovely but horribly impractical in Toronto.

They will likely become impromptu homeless shelters over the winter.

I wonder how the TTC will monitor this

I thought the Pubic Toilets were nixed. Anyway, heated shelters are lovely but horribly impractical in Toronto.

They will likely become impromptu homeless shelters over the winter.

I wonder how the TTC will monitor this

I thought the toilets had been nixed too. I was surprised to note their return to the program schedule, though there are only 5 showing (we currently have 4)

The heat program for the shelters is entirely practical, its already been done in Edmonton, Ottawa and Quebec City.

The shelter will not be heated per se; a heater will be user activated (push button) and turn on for 5 minutes. It will only work when temps are below 5C and only from fall to April

I thought the toilets had been nixed too. I was surprised to note their return to the program schedule, though there are only 5 showing (we currently have 4)

The heat program for the shelters is entirely practical, its already been done in Edmonton, Ottawa and Quebec City.

The shelter will not be heated per se; a heater will be user activated (push button) and turn on for 5 minutes. It will only work when temps are below 5C and only from fall to April

Brampton's Zum shelters have heaters as well. It's only somewhat effective. Since the heater is in the shelter ceiling, the air doesn't get that warm. Some GO shelters at stations and carpool lots are equipped as well.

Brampton's Zum shelters have heaters as well. It's only somewhat effective. Since the heater is in the shelter ceiling, the air doesn't get that warm. Some GO shelters at stations and carpool lots are equipped as well.

It only really work if you are directly underneath the heating element - and that the shelter is not drafty. Better than nothing, but I can't think of it is as much of a determinant of transit use. Not having to wait long enough inside one might be more effective.

And I shudder to think the failure/vandalism rates of these heaters.

AoD

It only really work if you are directly underneath the heating element - and that the shelter is not drafty. Better than nothing, but I can't think of it is as much of a determinant of transit use. Not having to wait long enough inside one might be more effective.

And I shudder to think the failure/vandalism rates of these heaters.

AoD

Heaters in the ceiling will waste the heat. Exposed heaters will cause problems with salt snow splashing on them. In floor heaters are safest.

Heaters in the ceiling will waste the heat. Exposed heaters will cause problems with salt snow splashing on them. In floor heaters are safest.

Capital expensive, plus you'd be heating the slab and that would waste a lot of energy unless it is properly insulated from the ground.

AoD

To melt snow perhaps. They wont' keep people warm. Why not use radiant heaters activated by movement on the platform - if anything. Though I'd think it's not particularly practicable for most stops.

Capital expensive, plus you'd be heating the slab and that would waste a lot of energy unless it is properly insulated from the ground.

AoD

Worth doing as a snowmelt system, outside the shelter on the abutting sidewalk. But it definitely would not keep a shelter warm.

FWIW, the report didn't show the fixture location, I had assumed it would be similar to a patio heater, mounted in the same spot as the next bus displays.

But I see a lot of shelters do use a full ceiling design instead.

I think the patio version makes more sense as its aimable and projects enough heat for 1 or 2 people in a more focused way.

This is what I'm thinking of (from Wayfair)

Stainless+Steel+Infrared+1500+Watt+Electric+Mounted+Patio+Heater.jpg

Worth doing as a snowmelt system, outside the shelter on the abutting sidewalk. But it definitely would not keep a shelter warm.

FWIW, the report didn't show the fixture location, I had assumed it would be similar to a patio heater, mounted in the same spot as the next bus displays.

But I see a lot of shelters do use a full ceiling design instead.

I think the patio version makes more sense as its aimable and projects enough heat for 1 or 2 people in a more focused way.

This is what I'm thinking of (from Wayfair)

Stainless+Steel+Infrared+1500+Watt+Electric+Mounted+Patio+Heater.jpg

Doing it as a snow melter would be impractical, it would use tons of heat and energy on an almost constant basis. In theory it is a good idea but one good hit of snow from a snow plow and you would be back to square one.

This is one of those ideas that looks good on paper but in practice gets abandoned rather quickly.

Doing it as a snow melter would be impractical, it would use tons of heat and energy on an almost constant basis. In theory it is a good idea but one good hit of snow from a snow plow and you would be back to square one.

This is one of those ideas that looks good on paper but in practice gets abandoned rather quickly.

Only needs to be heated to +3°C as a snow-melter, and only during snow or freezing rain. The frost depth in Toronto is around 1.2 m by early February.

BTW. Some GO Train stations use a snow-melter system on their platforms. See link.

As @W. K. Lis notes above this idea is entirely practical and already in use at multiple GO stations across the City and in other similar applications around the world.

This is the second time today you've commented that a proven idea with a track record is impractical.

I would greatly appreciate your taking the time to research ideas with which you are clearly unfamilar prior to commenting.

As @W. K. Lis notes above this idea is entirely practical and already in use at multiple GO stations across the City and in other similar applications around the world.

This is the second time today you've commented that a proven idea with a track record is impractical.

I would greatly appreciate your taking the time to research ideas with which you are clearly unfamilar prior to commenting.

The TTC should look in some sort of heated floor platforms with its outdoor stations. IE. Rosedale & Davisville.

Back