News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Speaking of misuse of the Emergency Alarm, our Toronto Rocket are being updated with new notices regarding appropriate usage.*

The new text reads: "Press only when emergency medical, police or fire services are needed. $500 fine for misuse."

Previously, the notice allowed for use in a broader range of circumstances: "use for fire, harassment, illness, accident, passenger safety and vandalism".*

So no more using the emergency alarm if you have a little tummy ache :)

Speaking of misuse of the Emergency Alarm, our Toronto Rocket are being updated with new notices regarding appropriate usage.*

The new text reads: "Press only when emergency medical, police or fire services are needed. $500 fine for misuse."

Previously, the notice allowed for use in a broader range of circumstances: "use for fire, harassment, illness, accident, passenger safety and vandalism".*

So no more using the emergency alarm if you have a little tummy ache :)

They think a new sticker will now magically reduce emergency alarm activations?

Oh it would seem that the Museum Station delay fiasco could have been a lot, lot worse:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...went_live_before_evacuation_was_complete.html

Ultimately, none of this would have happened if there are proper platform barriers installed.

AoD

I was on that train - we were literally 40 feet from the south end of Museum station. It was actually crazy that the TTC didn't evacuate the train faster (it was actually an hour and 30 mins from when the power was cut until we were "evacuated").

The train was evacuated by the first door of the lead car and it was a short walk. We were just before the tunneled portion ended - so we exited onto the walkway on the side of tunnel, down a couple of steps to the opening between the tunnel and the platform, and up the steps to the platform. There was no risk of anyone going near the 3rd rail as there were two TTC employees standing on the tracks directing people.

But that was the worst commute home - i proceeded to walk to Bay Station to catch my train east, and of course as i get on the train service was cut Broadview to Woodbine for a similar reason. Left the office at 5 was home at 9 - should have taken the hated streetcars :p

Re emergency alarm signs, do they have them in other languages as well? Given the demographics of Toronto, I wonder if that would reduce the # of incorrect use incidents.

Re emergency alarm signs, do they have them in other languages as well? Given the demographics of Toronto, I wonder if that would reduce the # of incorrect use incidents.

The subway guards will now give emergency instructions before the train leaves the station. Please read the instruction booklet and become familiar with them before any emergency. In case of an emergency, no air mask will descend from the ceiling. The seat cushions cannot be used as a life preserver should we end up in water. No dinner or snack will be served...

Even in 1976, the TTC can't get the right tile colours for Christie station (just go to the centre of either platform and look up).

Also, spadina station:

Spadina_TTC_pedestrian_link.jpg

Attachments

• Spadina_TTC_pedestrian_link.jpg
    Spadina_TTC_pedestrian_link.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 470
The "low" price of fuel lately will have two affects on the TTC

One is the cost of diesel (and gasoline) will lower the costs or expenses for the TTC. It will look good on the books.

The other is that customers may use their own cars because the price of fuel is lower for them, as well. If so, the ridership numbers may go down a little. It doesn't help that the shortage of vehicles for the TTC may also drive some away.

It should be remembered that the supply of fuel is finite. If we increase the demand, the price will just go back up. To keep the demand down, we have to look to make public transit more appealing, so that the demand could lessen the price even more.

The "low" price of fuel lately will have two affects on the TTC

One is the cost of diesel (and gasoline) will lower the costs or expenses for the TTC. It will look good on the books.

The TTC normally has long term fuel contracts and hedges to try to get best price. I suspect that they are NOT paying the current very low (!) prices as they were generally unexpected. The current prices may affect future contracts/hedges if they stick around long enough.

They've pulled up about 3 or 4 tiles and there are wires sticking up through the floor, so I guess there will be new fare gates after all.

Turnstiles are back but not functional yet. They look the same as before, no apparent provision for Presto :confused:

Back