News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Ok, this is the first thing that needs a comment!

FFS, you can't submit the survey online!

What millennium are we in already?

Print out the guide, take photos of your penned in responses, upload said photos and attach to an email? OMG What an absurd process.

I really have difficulty processing that someone read that and didn't go ............."Ya, that's not right"

Sigh.
If you try to answer the online survey form you appear to have to answer EVERY question - even those you do not care about (Express busses for me). I finally gave up and sent my comment (on 121 bus) to the Facilitator by email. Writing it out and sending a picture of my scrawl seemed a bit odd! (Really,. have these people never done an online survey before!)

The Kennedy-SCC route was started to deal w/capacity problems on the SRT in rush hours; are these not an issue anymore?

It's not that the capacity problems don't still exist - they do. (Or at least, they did until early March of this year.)

But that service (in all of its various forms over the years) has always done exceedingly poorly financially, and its ridership has never been fantastic. No matter what the TTC has done, people are not willing to transfer from the subway to a bus to another bus especially when the paralleling service (despite all of its faults and problems) is a rapid transit line. Couple that with the fact that the ridership patterns are even more unidirectional than most routes means that it's always been on the hit-list of routes to cancel should finances go soft.

It's the same issue with the Downtown Express routes (especially Mount Pleasant and Avenue Road) - although they're even more handicapped by the fact that virtually every bus assigned to the route makes just one trip.

Dan

The Kennedy-SCC route was started to deal w/capacity problems on the SRT in rush hours; are these not an issue anymore?
The few times I have taken the 131. I notice once it arrives at STC, everyone gets off and rushes the SRT. Even when you could stay on the bus and it'll take around the same amount of time to get to Kennedy. Considering you'll have to climb stairs and wait for it and an extra set of stairs at Kennedy.

For the other way around, only 131 riders would take it at Kennedy to get a seat. The current 903 is interlined with the 131.

When the TTC ran the 131F shuttle serving only between Kennedy and STC, no one took it.

Looks like Mark Grimes' pet project the 145 will be eliminated in the near future, and along with it any claims of him doing anything for transit South Etobicoke for the 15+ years he has been city councillor for.

What a joke of a councillor.

Mark Grimes is also anti-pedestrian (,as well as Mike Colle it seems)...

From link. MM24.7 Installation of sidewalks on Coldstream Avenue and South Kingslea Drive - by Councillor Mike Colle, seconded by Councillor Mark Grimes

Councillor Mike Colle, seconded by Councillor Mark Grimes, recommends that:

1. City Council direct the General Manager, Transportation Services not to proceed with the installation of new sidewalks as part of road reconstruction on Coldstream Avenue, between Chicoutimi Avenue and Mona Drive, in Ward 8 Eglinton-Lawrence and on South Kingslea Drive, between Kingslea Court and Ivy Lea Crescent, in Ward 3 Etobicoke-Lakeshore.

See Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan thread at this link and this link.

Last edited:
Wasn't part of the reasoning behind the 121 originally to help serve transit starved Liberty Village? The potential routing abandons the west. I've always thought it should go to Dufferin loop personally.
You are correct that City Place (not, I think Liberty Village) needs east-west transit but the 121 really did not serve them well and they did not use it either. Of course, the TTC ran it very poorly by (as usual) having no route management and the congestion on Front from Spadina to Bay was a killer. I assume they will try something new for the folks living to the west of Union.

You are correct that City Place (not, I think Liberty Village) needs east-west transit but the 121 really did not serve them well and they did not use it either. Of course, the TTC ran it very poorly by (as usual) having no route management and the congestion on Front from Spadina to Bay was a killer. I assume they will try something new for the folks living to the west of Union.
It's impossible to run anything through Front Street in rush hour. They need to use King Street instead.

It's impossible to run anything through Front Street in rush hour. They need to use King Street instead.

Just as bad. Bremner to York would be better.

The problem is Front is a nightmare until you pass Jarvis. The 121 is a good idea but it needs to run further north or further south but not along Front.

Mark Grimes is also anti-pedestrian (,as well as Mike Colle it seems)...

From link. MM24.7 Installation of sidewalks on Coldstream Avenue and South Kingslea Drive - by Councillor Mike Colle, seconded by Councillor Mark Grimes

See Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan thread at this link and this link.
Don't forget that the aforementioned part of Mike Colle's ward (Coldstream Avenue) is considered the most right-wing neighbourhood in all of Toronto (and has a large Orthodox Jewish population).

Just as bad. Bremner to York would be better.

The problem is Front is a nightmare until you pass Jarvis. The 121 is a good idea but it needs to run further north or further south but not along Front.
From my occasional observations, Front WESTBOUND (between Yonge and York) is not nearly as jammed as Front Street going east in the same blocks. The TTC's plan is to use Wellington going west and King going east in those blocks, I am suggesting they look at the westbound traffic on both Wellington and Front and decide, which would be better, remembering that passing right in front of Union Station would really make the route much more used s it would link to not only TTC but also GO, VIA and UPX. Of course, congestion and illegal parking/stopping is a problem everywhere in that area; that needs to be addressed by ENFORCEMENT. (Well, one can dream!)

Award of consulting contracts on Capacity Enhancement for both Line and Line 2 is heading to the next TTC meeting on Sept 24th.

Contracts worth up to 60M

"Before the COVID-19 pandemic, Line 2 Bloor-Danforth, from Kipling Station to Kennedy Station, served more than 550,000 customers per weekday. Morning rush hour ridership on Line 2 reached over 23,000 passengers per hour, both eastbound from Spadina Station and westbound from Sherbourne Station.
The most recent demand forecasts for Line 2 indicate that morning rush hour demand will exceed 31,000 passengers per hour by 2041, both eastbound from Spadina Station and westbound from Donlands Station. These figures include the expected ridership impacts of the Ontario Line and the Line 2 East Extension."

Now this is new information...

For reference, BD ridership in its highest year of ridership (2014) was 535,600 PPD. I wonder when ridership increased and where.

"Before the COVID-19 pandemic, Line 2 Bloor-Danforth, from Kipling Station to Kennedy Station, served more than 550,000 customers per weekday. Morning rush hour ridership on Line 2 reached over 23,000 passengers per hour, both eastbound from Spadina Station and westbound from Sherbourne Station.
The most recent demand forecasts for Line 2 indicate that morning rush hour demand will exceed 31,000 passengers per hour by 2041, both eastbound from Spadina Station and westbound from Donlands Station. These figures include the expected ridership impacts of the Ontario Line and the Line 2 East Extension."

Now this is new information...

For reference, BD ridership in its highest year of ridership (2014) was 535,600 PPD. I wonder when ridership increased and where.

While the Ontario Line will draw some of the ridership from the east, in the west, two improvements can be made to draw more of the ridership from the west.

1. The eastern entrance to Dundas West Station (or whatever name they rename it, hint the original name proposed was Vincent Station) between the subway and the GO/UPX train station.

2. A return to a TTC and GO/UPX discount fare, or something better.

Back