News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Gonna throw in here, that the TTC's concept of schedule management is also silly +1, -5 (up to 1 minute early and 5 minutes late) reads as acceptable performance.

On routes with sub 10M headways, it may be possible for 2 buses to operate as a pair and the TTC would see nothing wrong w/that.

+1 is fine; but historically the TTC had used +3/-3.

Byford rightly noted there is no excuse for leaving a stop that early.

But apparently felt an obligation (contractual or otherwise) to retain 6 total minutes of flex.

The standard, IF one is using schedule to measure against should be +1/-3

That would allow for better service reliability, and less bunching.

Providing it were enforced.

But, really, on most busier routes, they need to shift to headway management, rather than schedule adherence.
Buses shouldn't run ahead of schedule and a number of systems enforce it, while other talk from both sides of their mouth on it. To some it maybe fine with service 10 minutes or lest, but a bitch when service is every 30 minutes. There are drivers who run hot so they can miss X stop or stops for various reasons like school kids. Then some runs/routes have too much time built into the schedule as well drivers with heavy foot.

As for being late is something that can't be easy fix as it can be caused by a number of things from traffic, riders taking too long to get on/off, drivers being Sunday driver, accidents, not enough time built in, drivers running hot in front of them causing more riders to get on.

A good number of systems are 0 -3. 0 -5.

Mississauga is supposed to have 0 -3, yet on the posted schedule and website, it states riders must be at the stop 5 minutes before the schedule time. Done this way to deal with buses running hot to the point the bus has already past the stop by almost 10 minutes. Very few drivers obey the school zone or streets with lower speed limit to the point they are 10-30 km over the limit. Then you have some drivers showing up 10 minutes late as been the first bus of the day with very few riders.

Look at Steve Munro data for routes as it all over the place, but unless you are on vehicles to see what really taking place along the route, its a guess game. I have seen route data for a few system for arriving at X point and again all over the place.

Traffic is the number one issues to cause schedules to be skew.

Or just manage expectations proactively. I can live with drafty buses this winter. We are Canadian, right?

- Paul

Expectations? TTC buses? More than the general "it will suck"? Not much by the way of expectations to manage there /s. Sarcasm aside, you are right about that - they should communicate it ASAP, but that's assuming that have identified opening windows in winter as a need/possibility. Not sure if they have.

Also, I am sure you will get killjoys who will shut the windows no matter what - and the drivers won't be put in a position to stop that.

AoD

Last edited:
Expectations? TTC buses? More than the general "it will suck"? Not much by the way of expectations to manage there /s. Sarcasm aside, you are right about that - they should communicate it ASAP, but that's assuming that have even the TTC has identified opening windows in winter as a need/possibility. Not sure if they have.

One would hope that someone (APTA? CUTA? Bus manufacturers?) is doing similar to what the airlines are doing.

I'm not saying I would take the results of this or similar studies as fact, but I would want the average passenger to know much more about ventilation on transit vehicles, and what TTC's position is on whether one could in fact catch COVID on a breezy transit vehicle if everyone were wearing masks.

Is the air on a transit vehicle continually recirculated, or is it fresh air? (Can that be changed, the way I can recirc or inject fresh air into my car? I will admit my ignorance. )

- Paul

One would hope that someone (APTA? CUTA? Bus manufacturers?) is doing similar to what the airlines are doing.

I'm not saying I would take the results of this or similar studies as fact, but I would want the average passenger to know much more about ventilation on transit vehicles, and what TTC's position is on whether one could in fact catch COVID on a breezy transit vehicle if everyone were wearing masks.

Is the air on a transit vehicle continually recirculated, or is it fresh air? (Can that be changed, the way I can recirc or inject fresh air into my car? I will admit my ignorance. )

I don't have the followup to this, but TTC did investigate adjusting the bus fleet air-filtration system.

... use of MERV-13 filters on bus HVAC systems

As of September 24th, the filters were in the pilot stage; I presume that means only a few vehicles were outfitted with the modified equipment.

Currently, the TTC is piloting the following air treatment technologies for vehicle HVAC systems: higher efficiency filters (e.g. MERV 13); anti-viral filters; ultraviolet light (UVC); and photocatalytic oxidation. The TTC is also piloting steam cleaning for surface treatment of porous surfaces. Next steps include proceeding with detailed cost estimates, risk assessments and validation plans for the approaches that are being piloted.

Last edited:
^ Thanks for that. This quote was interesting

The TTC has also engaged LTK Engineering Services to conduct a Vehicle Air Flow Study to determine the impact of factors such as the effects of open-versus-closed windows and doors on vehicle HVAC performance and air flow patterns. This work is currently underway and information will be reported once available.

- Paul

They can insert UV lights into the HVAC of buses, streetcars, and subway cars to kill the mold, bacteria, and viruses (such as COVID-19 and the seasonal flu). "Germicidal UV light improves indoor air quality and
reduces maintenance costs by keeping coils clean."

See link.

Can be used for air-forced HVAC in homes, including ductless AC. Has been used in hospital operating rooms for over a century. See link.

TTC recalling remaining employees to support service, capital project demands

October 15, 2020

In order to meet service demands brought about by changing ridership patterns, a major planned capital project and a new cohort of high school students returning to class, the TTC will recall the remaining 179 furloughed front-line employees, including 97 bus operators, in the first week of November.

"Throughout the pandemic, we have continued to monitor ridership in real time and adjust service to meet demand," said TTC CEO Rick Leary. "We've also been looking for opportunities to take advantage of the reduced ridership to advance major capital work at a time it would inconvenience the fewest customers."

In making the decision to recall the remaining employees, the TTC took the following factors into consideration:

- As schools and more businesses re-opened over the past two months, the TTC has seen ridership on the bus network increase faster than on other modes. Daily boardings on buses are now at 50 per cent of pre-pandemic levels and holding. As well, ridership patterns have changed from the traditional peak periods with customer trips more evenly spread throughout the day.

- In a report going to the TTC Board tomorrow, the TTC is seeking approval to advance a major asbestos removal program by one full year by closing Line 1 between Finch and Sheppard for 10 days in December, with shuttle buses running instead.

- On Nov. 12, a new cohort of high school students return to in-class learning, some of whom will rely on the TTC to get to and from school.

As well, the TTC projects there will be operator retirements in late 2020. A plan to recruit and train new operators in 2021 is underway.

Recalling the employees is part of the TTC's continuing commitment to providing safe and reliable service for the hundreds of thousands of customers still relying on public transit during the pandemic.
Other initiatives already underway include:

- Communicating with school boards to determine hot spots, student volumes and start and dismissal times.
- Maintaining service flexibility and implementing demand-responsive bus service to supplement scheduled service.
- Continuing distribution of free masks in subway stations and on Wheel-Trans to help ensure customers are not travelling without one.
- Making masks mandatory for all TTC staff on TTC property.
- Continuing enhanced cleaning and disinfection of all public places and vehicles with a focus on touch and grab points, such as buttons, railings, handles and straps.
- Continuing to stock hand sanitizer in every station and on every streetcar and Wheel-Trans vehicle.

Running a demand-responsive service will, at times, mean that additional TTC vehicles deployed in real time will not appear on schedules or transit apps.

For more information about the TTC's pandemic safety plans, visit https://eur05.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ttc.ca%2FCOVID-19%2FStaying_safe.jsp&data=04%7C01%7C%7C3311ad8ff31640cbff7108d871506c29%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637383937503202161%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=q0X0SEmS3McoH3sHejouPrEhqEKiyO4aRx1zEwMC42k%3D&reserved=0

- In a report going to the TTC Board tomorrow, the TTC is seeking approval to advance a major asbestos removal program by one full year by closing Line 1 between Finch and Sheppard for 10 days in December, with shuttle buses running instead.

Uhh, LOL, they got that bit wrong.............no TTC board mtg tomorrow. Next meeting is next Thurs, Oct 22nd.

Reactions: DSC
A couple of tidbits in the CEO's report that goes to the October 22nd TTC Meeting:

Sounds like we may finally see more sensible service integration where routes currently duplicate or overlap, perhaps as early as late 2021:

The TTC is exploring opportunities with neighbouring municipal transit agencies to improve service for TTC customers that either start or end their trip outside of Toronto. These opportunities will result in simplified service, enhanced connections and operating efficiencies. The technical analysis is underway and business case assessments are expected to be substantially complete by year end.

The SRT is dying.......but maybe sooner than Toronto is ready for:

To ensure reliable transit service is maintained until the Line 2 extension enters service, various options are being assessed, including initiating an overhaul program to further extend the life of SRT vehicles or replacing the SRT service with bus replacement service using new buses to meet the transit service need along the SRT corridor until the extension is completed.

On Covid:

TTC audits have recorded a high rate of compliance by customers, with 97 per cent observed to be wearing face coverings and 88 per cent wearing them properly over the nose, mouth and chin.

Approximately 68,000 masks are remaining and these will be distributed in stations by Collectors, Customer Service Agents, Transit Special Constables, Revenue Protection staff and Wheel-Trans Operators.

We seem to be about to order 13 (or maybe 47) more streetcars TTC Board 22 October http://ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commiss...5_TTC_Fleet_Procurement_Strategy_and_Plan.pdf

It is recommended that the TTC Board:

Streetcars:
1. Delegate authority to the TTC Chief Executive Officer to issue a contract change with Bombardier Transportation Canada Inc. for the supply of 13 streetcars at an estimated cost of $140 million, inclusive of all taxes and project delivery costs, based on the following: a. Negotiation of an acceptable agreement that is satisfactory to the TTC Chief Executive Officer and General Counsel; b. Negotiation of acceptable contract pricing for the initial order of 13 streetcars and fixed pricing on options for up to 47 additional streetcars equating to a combined total of 60 streetcars; and c. All streetcars are to be delivered between 2023 and 2025.

We seem to be about to order 13 (or maybe 47) more streetcars TTC Board 22 October http://ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commiss...5_TTC_Fleet_Procurement_Strategy_and_Plan.pdf

It is recommended that the TTC Board:

Streetcars:
1. Delegate authority to the TTC Chief Executive Officer to issue a contract change with Bombardier Transportation Canada Inc. for the supply of 13 streetcars at an estimated cost of $140 million, inclusive of all taxes and project delivery costs, based on the following: a. Negotiation of an acceptable agreement that is satisfactory to the TTC Chief Executive Officer and General Counsel; b. Negotiation of acceptable contract pricing for the initial order of 13 streetcars and fixed pricing on options for up to 47 additional streetcars equating to a combined total of 60 streetcars; and c. All streetcars are to be delivered between 2023 and 2025.

I have a thread set up to discuss this report which covers a wide range of issues around vehicle procurement:

Back