News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The problem here was that when it was unveiled several years ago TTC customers were putting in obscene or other unwelcome messages/words. I like the concept but am afraid this was probably inevitable and am not sure it is to do with "litigiousness". . Not quite sure why the TTC were surprised or why it took them several years to just adjust it so that only authorised people could put in words.
They could have used an elementary school "spell checker", rejecting "incorrectly" or "unacceptable" words.

They could have used an elementary school "spell checker", rejecting "incorrectly" or "unacceptable" words.
The problem is that's an arms race you can't win. You cannot write a case for every single unacceptable word, something will always fall through the cracks, or people will find creative ways to circumvent it. Then you run into the clbuttic problem where the word checker starts banning words that aren't a problem, but have a substring that is an unacceptable word.

Yellow Creek is under there; but piped/encased.

Is it leaking?

I don't know about leaking, but there have been ongoing subsidence and water table issues there since the construction of the line.

For whatever reason it came to a head about 8 years ago, when the TTC seemed to throw up their hands and declare "We can't do anymore!!!". And then, quietly, they went back to the usual ongoing maintenance program and haven't made a big deal about it since.

Dan

I don’t think he’s missing the point at all. That 10 day closure should avoid a lot of weekend closures, and accelerate the project’s completion time. If the subsequent weekend closures can’t be avoided, then so be it, but if installation can be accelerated, we should accelerate it.
Except that most of those current weekend closures aren't specifically due to the ATC system getting installed. Sure, they will get more work done during those closures, but they do not specifically schedule a weekend closure just to do wiring. It's simply not necessary.

Just about all of the installation for the new system happens overnight. Any weekend closures for the ATC system are when they get to the point in testing that they need to operate the trains over the section. Those closures would continue to happen regardless of whether there was a theoretical 10-day closure to complete the wiring or not.

Dan

Except that most of those current weekend closures aren't specifically due to the ATC system getting installed. Sure, they will get more work done during those closures, but they do not specifically schedule a weekend closure just to do wiring. It's simply not necessary.

Just about all of the installation for the new system happens overnight. Any weekend closures for the ATC system are when they get to the point in testing that they need to operate the trains over the section. Those closures would continue to happen regardless of whether there was a theoretical 10-day closure to complete the wiring or not.

Dan
Again, I think we’re on the same page. We’re simply being welcoming of extended closures if the TTC deems it an option for whatever work they might have to do. The faster work is done the better.

I think people are missing that the section they are closing already operates with ATC. ATC currently is in use from Rosedale station to Vaugn. The section they are closing down for 10 days is for asbestos removal from the tunnels and the stations, it's easier to close it for 10 days and have a separate company come in and do it rather than the TTC doing it a little bit at a time.

I think people are missing that the section they are closing already operates with ATC. ATC currently is in use from Rosedale station to Vaugn. The section they are closing down for 10 days is for asbestos removal from the tunnels and the stations, it's easier to close it for 10 days and have a separate company come in and do it rather than the TTC doing it a little bit at a time.
Again, I think we’re on the same page. We’re simply being welcoming of extended closures if the TTC deems it an option for whatever work they might have to do. The faster work is done the better.

The problem here was that when it was unveiled several years ago TTC customers were putting in obscene or other unwelcome messages/words. I like the concept but am afraid this was probably inevitable and am not sure it is to do with "litigiousness". . Not quite sure why the TTC were surprised or why it took them several years to just adjust it so that only authorised people could put in words.
They must have been dinosaurs who have never been on the internet. Must not have heard of Microsoft "AI"/twitter chatbot Tay, which got conditioned to parrot nazi propaganda over a day of being open to influence on the internet. This is why we can't have nice things. Anything that can be shitposted will be shitposted.

Reminds me of this amusing account of a conference where any Twitter message with a given hashtag was displayed on a screen unfiltered. Hilarity ensued.

Last edited:
Mar 14
Finally stop off at Islington to take a look at the bus terminal and saw a few things in the station
51041333916_c01393267c_b.jpg

51041425472_7f22805eec_b.jpg

51040600818_5e1c6efe22_b.jpg

51041333631_cc00b63847_b.jpg

51040600408_430a12b6ed_b.jpg

51040600103_f776591d27_b.jpg

51041424497_188357c216_b.jpg

At Yonge Station
51040599773_d3e9b5220a_b.jpg

51041332451_35ac3482f0_b.jpg

51040599718_6a40545845_b.jpg

51040599543_336b257921_b.jpg

51041332296_39c8b69e30_b.jpg

51041423942_a58f31ec57_b.jpg

51040599358_8e749ea817_b.jpg

Mar 14
Finally stop off at Islington to take a look at the bus terminal and saw a few things in the station
51041333916_c01393267c_b.jpg

Why would they do that? I get that they don't like the slatted ceilings. They are a bit dated, hard to keep clean, hard to colour-match, a pain to take down/put up.

Got it.

The new ceiling might be passable.........but for the discolouration of some panels, already...........

And, the terrible choice of lighting, which then leads to having abnormally shaped panels in the light rows.

IF, one were to select such panels, the correct thing would have been to use led can lights cut into the uniformed shaped panels as required.

That would look infinitely better and not cost materially more.

Mar 14

lol @ the pigeons in Islington station. I've watched them hop down the stairs from the bus terminal as if they've done it 10000 times going home after a long day.

lol @ the pigeons in Islington station. I've watched them hop down the stairs from the bus terminal as if they've done it 10000 times going home after a long day.
Perhaps they do ... they were endemic at Pape, especially before the renovation. One day, I saw one jump on a quiet train and get off at Donlands - I didn't feel it was their first trip.

Back