News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The TTC did this up until the early 1990s when the last bus with bench seating went to the scrap heap. In or around 1993, I once took a TTC bus that had padded vinyl bench seats with my father to Birchmount Division for his sign-up. One of his coworkers picked us up because they were running it in.

The style of seating was similar in color and makeup to the Gloucester Cars.

Why they need to run a test to see if it will work in Toronto is beyond me.

I am totally pro-plastic seat. Montreal's Azur subway trains have them and I've never felt that they were uncomfortable compared to the TR ones (same philosophy for bus). The pros of cleaner and bug-free seat vastly outweigh minor differences in comfort. Besides, the newer GO coaches have already proven that a fabric seat can be insanely uncomfortable!
Guess you don't remove the plastic wrap from chesterfields delivered to you.
sofa-and-two-chair-set-with-coffee-table-in-mock-french-period-style-picture-id84367736

From link.

Or just remember the good old H6s. They were fairly comfortable and aged relatively decently - nothing like those nasty red velvet seating that stained like someone had pooped on them (and I am sure some did).

AoD

The original H6 seats:

1633548219119.png

Credit in image

They would later changed to :

1633548277552.png

Credit: Aaron Adel

The change was both to the test the material for the TRs; but also because the older material was fairly easy to slash open with a knife, and it became an issue.

Where as the red material was a rip-resistant design.

The TTC did this up until the early 1990s when the last bus with bench seating went to the scrap heap. In or around 1993, I once took a TTC bus that had padded vinyl bench seats with my father to Birchmount Division for his sign-up. One of his coworkers picked us up because they were running it in.

The style of seating was similar in color and makeup to the Gloucester Cars.

Why they need to run a test to see if it will work in Toronto is beyond me.

I remember TTC testing plastic seats in the subway. They used a pair of H6s and switched out the padded vinyl inserts with plastic ones.

I want to say there were still a couple TTC buses with the brown cushioned bench seats up to 2006 or so. I have a photo I took of one somewhere.

The old subway seats was also easy to hide sharp objects and needles to harm others. The current fabric seats are engineered to prevent getting your butt stabbed. The only negative is they are designed to hide disgusting dirtiness. People barfing on them would just dry up and still appear somewhat clean the next day. A puddle of water isn't so apparent if you didn't clearly analyze the seat before quickly parking on it.

I want to say there were still a couple TTC buses with the brown cushioned bench seats up to 2006 or so. I have a photo I took of one somewhere.

The Orion III artics had them.

I am totally pro-plastic seat. Montreal's Azur subway trains have them and I've never felt that they were uncomfortable compared to the TR ones (same philosophy for bus). The pros of cleaner and bug-free seat vastly outweigh minor differences in comfort. Besides, the newer GO coaches have already proven that a fabric seat can be insanely uncomfortable!
I concur, I'm happy that the REM seats are based of the Azur's.
Personally speaking, I find the Azur seats to be horrendous and horrible to sit on, but that's beside the point.

Remember that these aren't trains, there are busses which are bumpier and are prone to stopping far more suddenly than the REM or Metro. As such any discomfort one might experience on an Azur and significantly amplified. I have ridden on the St. Catherines busses before, never again.

Personally speaking, I find the Azur seats to be horrendous and horrible to sit on, but that's beside the point.

Remember that these aren't trains, there are busses which are bumpier and are prone to stopping far more suddenly than the REM or Metro. As such any discomfort one might experience on an Azur and significantly amplified. I have ridden on the St. Catherines busses before, never again.

The GM New Looks has hard plastic seats on them with very bad shocks. The moment you hit a bump, pothole or other issue along the road you would bounce up and damn near break your coccyx on the way down.

The GM New Looks has hard plastic seats on them with very bad shocks. The moment you hit a bump, pothole or other issue along the road you would bounce up and damn near break your coccyx on the way down.

This was the last iteration of GM 'New Look' Seating

1633549586135.png

Credit above, via Transit Toronto

Back