News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Oops:

AoD

Explains why Next Bus /Umo said there were no buses on my route tonight............

The TTC has no idea whether there are either (The VISION system that tracks/communicates w/vehicles is among those affected)

Explains why Next Bus /Umo said there were no buses on my route tonight............

The TTC has no idea whether there are either (The VISION system that tracks/communicates w/vehicles is among those affected)
Since the normal total lack of route management shows that the TTC never looks at the Vision info, I am not sure this will change service!

Maybe the hackers will be able to screw up the in-vehicle bus screens so badly, that they actually get better? Seeing as the TTC cant come up with a competent and useful design for it:

20180821-ttc-screens-lead.jpg

Maybe the hackers will be able to screw up the in-vehicle bus screens so badly, that they actually get better? Seeing as the TTC cant come up with a competent and useful design for it:

20180821-ttc-screens-lead.jpg

I saw a new layout on the buses last week that looks much better. It shows a list of upcoming stops under the next stop and makes better use of the space.

I saw a new layout on the buses last week that looks much better. It shows a list of upcoming stops under the next stop and makes better use of the space.
I think they are testing out a bunch of them before they finalize it. Most likely it will probably be sometime next year by the time they do. Also probably by then they will have WiFi on two more bus routes.

I think they are testing out a bunch of them before they finalize it. Most likely it will probably be sometime next year by the time they do. Also probably by then they will have WiFi on two more bus routes.
The whole damn site looks like an (early) test - I have no problem with testing (in fact it's essential) but they COULD have tried other layouts on the old site over the past decade during which they kept saying their new site was being developed. Sad!

The whole damn site looks like an (early) test - I have no problem with testing (in fact it's essential) but they COULD have tried other layouts on the old site over the past decade during which they kept saying their new site was being developed. Sad!
The new website was designed by a company that ended up going out of business well it was under development and they only just got control over it from them recently.

The new website was designed by a company that ended up going out of business well it was under development and they only just got control over it from them recently.
They would have been better to have started again. it really is VERY poor and very poorly 'launched'. Absolutely no quality control or checking; Steve Munro lists many many problems and omissions.

They would have been better to have started again. it really is VERY poor and very poorly 'launched'. Absolutely no quality control or checking; Steve Munro lists many many problems and omissions.
Remember that Steve Munro was in computers before retiring.
giphy.gif
From link.

Last edited:
I saw that too, but some of the font is so tiny it's barely readable, the colours are just awful, and the right side is still empty....

I guess it's better than before, *sigh*

Image I found on Reddit for people that haven't seen it:
xpev3fc8ugk61.jpg

Funnily enough, this is something that even YRT (although I believe these are on VIVA only) does better than TTC:
Image from https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/York_Region_Transit_1971-1980
300px-Viva_1974_%28info_screen%29-a.jpg

On VIVA buses these screens are mounted on the big cabinet thing behind the driver and not overhead, so it's more likely to be obstructed in a crowded bus, but at least there's useful info. There are also still normal dot matrix displays overhead that display the next stop, and sometimes there's a separate "stop requested" light overhead.

I saw that too, but some of the font is so tiny it's barely readable, the colours are just awful, and the right side is still empty....

I guess it's better than before, *sigh*

Image I found on Reddit for people that haven't seen it:
xpev3fc8ugk61.jpg

Funnily enough, this is something that even YRT (although I believe these are on VIVA only) does better than TTC:
Image from https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/York_Region_Transit_1971-1980
300px-Viva_1974_%28info_screen%29-a.jpg

On VIVA buses these screens are mounted on the big cabinet thing behind the driver and not overhead, so it's more likely to be obstructed in a crowded bus, but at least there's useful info. There are also still normal dot matrix displays overhead that display the next stop, and sometimes there's a separate "stop requested" light overhead.
There might be a couple versions in testing. The ones I saw didn’t look like that.

We often confine 'vintage' photos to one of the dedicated photo threads, but I thought this one should be seen by a few more people.

This is one of the TTC's original G-Trains, (red) at Sherbourne Station (they only ran on Line 2 for six months in 1966).

1635967932216.png

Taken from the Friends who Like Vintage Toronto FB group, here: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=207907548124044&set=gm.2975770186073121
posted by John Carlson

We often confine 'vintage' photos to one of the dedicated photo threads, but I thought this one should be seen by a few more people.

This is one of the TTC's original G-Trains, (red) at Sherbourne Station (they only ran on Line 2 for six months in 1966).

View attachment 360379
Taken from the Friends who Like Vintage Toronto FB group, here: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=207907548124044&set=gm.2975770186073121
posted by John Carlson
Very lovely. Would like to see the subway trains return to a all-over red look one day...

Back