News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Hard to say what he will do after being in the transit sector for 33 years and has a nice retirement plan based on where he work for the position he held.

Surprised he leaving TfL after a short stay as the new position this year considering it was his swan job after NYC. More the fact he moving to the US when he is an Brit and his wife is US citizen. Still a young person with a lot of years to go before 65 to fully retire, then it could be the new 70's years.

Yes it would be nice to see him here again for another 5-10 years.

His wife is a Canadian Citizen, born in Ottawa. I know they do intend to return to the U.S. and be based there for the foreseeable future; but I'm uncertain about whether she (or he) may hold U.S. citizenship.

Personally, I would love to see Toronto woo him as City Manager, boss of every program, and the TTC too.

He couldn't micro manage everything; and wouldn't. But what he would do is demand people be accountable the way he was at the TTC or elsewhere.

No hiding behind the City's PR dept; or ducking the media. That alone would be a useful endeavour.

Last edited:
I saw something interesting happen on a TTC bus on Friday. I was waiting for a southbound 63 and checked Nextbus which indicated two were coming in a pack--no surprise there--but then something unusual happened.
They both pulled up to the stop and opened the doors. I got on the second of the two, as the first looked quite crowded, though the second bus was not empty, it still had about 15 people on it. After both finished loading/unloading, the driver of the frist bus got out and walked down to the second bus and proceeded to have a, shall we say, loud and animated "conversation" with the driver of the second bus. Sounds like even the TTC operators are not exactly happy with each other these days.

I saw something interesting happen on a TTC bus on Friday. I was waiting for a southbound 63 and checked Nextbus which indicated two were coming in a pack--no surprise there--but then something unusual happened.
They both pulled up to the stop and opened the doors. I got on the second of the two, as the first looked quite crowded, though the second bus was not empty, it still had about 15 people on it. After both finished loading/unloading, the driver of the frist bus got out and walked down to the second bus and proceeded to have a, shall we say, loud and animated "conversation" with the driver of the second bus. Sounds like even the TTC operators are not exactly happy with each other these days.

This isn't new. I recall a few conversations when my father was still on the job where operators told each other off.

Can't be any worse than the time I worked at Foot Locker and watcher my colleagues duke it out in the back over stolen commision. Came to blows and both people were fired.

This is fun.. 🛶

Screenshot_20220925-082401_Gmail.jpg

I don't usually take the ttc but it's raining today so I took it instead of riding my bike. The Line 1 subway closure ended early yesterday. This morning, the ttcnotices Twitter account was posting that the closure is still on today. I'm on the Bayview bus and the driver told everyone to get off at yonge to catch a shuttle bus. Then, he realized that people were going into the station and the subway was open, so he stopped his bus in the middle of yonge street to pick up the passengers that he misinformed to take them into the fare paid zone. What a communications disaster.

I found it was

2032 unless the extension is way late; not practical to be bothering w/2 systems again; and since the extension will be ATC, the existing line should be ATC by the time it opens.

There's now a lot of "12345 67890" instead of "Out of Service".
View attachment 429216

This has been affecting many of the next bus screens at stations as well.

Interesting, only the ones similar to the bus displays; the interior station screens w/the LCD displays seem unaffected, presumably indicating 2 different data feeds.

This has been affecting many of the next bus screens at stations as well.

Interesting, only the ones similar to the bus displays; the interior station screens w/the LCD displays seem unaffected, presumably indicating 2 different data feeds.
or two different TTC silos who are not speaking to (or aware of??) each other!

TTC’s Line 1 now running on an ATC signalling system

Sept. 29, 2022

The TTC’s modernized Automatic Train Control (ATC) signalling system is now fully operational on Line 1, bringing with it improved service and reduced operating costs.

"Automatic Train Control is up and running on Line 1. This is a big milestone for the TTC and our efforts to modernize our current transit system. This technology will ensure subway trains can travel faster and more reliably which will result in us being able to move more people across the line as quickly and efficiently as we can. I want to thank commuters for their patience while we implemented this new technology and I want to applaud TTC employees for their work on completing this major project," said Mayor John Tory.

“The successful completion of this project is a significant milestone for the TTC and the entire City of Toronto. Transit riders can look forward to faster, more reliable service when travelling on Line 1. On behalf of the TTC Board, I'd like to congratulate the TTC employees and contractors who worked tirelessly to make this transformative project a reality,” said TTC Chair Jaye Robinson.

“The completion of ATC installation on Line 1 is a major accomplishment for us, and will have significant benefits for our customers,” said TTC CEO Rick Leary. “This system will improve existing service, and ensure that we can accommodate expected additional transit growth. I want to thank our customers, local businesses, and the public, for their patience and understanding as we worked towards this milestone. I also want to express my appreciation to the TTC employees who have worked tirelessly over the past few years to complete this project.”

Portions of the TTC’s previous signalling system dated back to the 1950s, when the subway first opened. This included a “fixed block” signalling system where trains needed to have large gaps between them as they entered and exited each “block”. With ATC, train speed and separation between trains is controlled automatically, through a computerized “moving block” system. Train location can be monitored more accurately, allowing more trains to operate closer together. This means more frequent and reliable service for customers, and fewer signal-related delays.

The completion of ATC on Line 1 also means that trains can use electricity more efficiently, leading to lower operating costs for the TTC. In addition, it will allow for more service flexibility if there is an operational issue on the line, with additional turn-back locations now available.

The project was completed on schedule according to the updated plan approved by the TTC’s Board in April 2019.

Due to the scale of the project, the installation and testing process for ATC could only be done during non-revenue service hours, and was completed during weekend and early weeknight closures.

Crews performed special track work in the tunnels, installing thousands of pieces of trackside signalling and radio equipment. This includes two thousand beacons, two hundred and fifty-six signals, and more than one million feet of cable.

This past weekend, crews completed testing and commissioning, and the system went live during the subway closure on Saturday.

Learn more about ATC and the benefits for the TTC here:

Back