News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

All I have to say is that bringing back mandatory psychiatric treatment for people with severe illness would be a much more worthwhile investment than a few dozen more transit police. However, no politician is willing to open that can of worms in this day and age. We are too afraid of violating individual sovereignty in this country even when said individuals would benefit greatly from prolonged care in a institutional setting, and everyone would be more safe.

This was the way it was in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s but then for some reason budget cuts were made and "community-care" became a favourite word among politicians looking to reduce spending.
I maintain that the humanity narrative was convenient cover by everyone to feel better about giving up and abandoning some of the most vulnerable. COVID has shown us this is largely still the case. People who are unable to take care of themselves, whether elderly or mentally incapacitated deserve proper and dignified care. It takes significant investment that no one cares enough about to pursue. The fact that we have people suffering on the street as a danger to themselves and others really is a reflection society’s priorities.

I maintain that the humanity narrative was convenient cover by everyone to feel better about giving up and abandoning some of the most vulnerable. COVID has shown us this is largely still the case. People who are unable to take care of themselves, whether elderly or mentally incapacitated deserve proper and dignified care. It takes significant investment that no one cares enough about to pursue. The fact that we have people suffering on the street as a danger to themselves and others really is a reflection society’s priorities.

True, but at the same time, I don't really have any hesitation removing threats and vagrants off the TTC - permanently. It is not a social service, and its' mission cannot be jeopardized by them in the name of "protecting the vulnerable". When everyone is responsible - no one is responsible.

AoD

The reason the operators on streetcars and increasingly buses are getting shields is not to prevent the passengers from talking to them and causing distraction. No, it’s because the TTC and the operator’s union both understand that the passengers can be violent and dangerous. That’s why IMO every streetcar and every subway should have a second employee who’s as unshielded as the rest of us, tasked with security, information and fare enforcement. If the TTC is perceived as safer the number of users may increase, helping to cover the added personnel cost.

Exactly, OC Transpo, added plexiglass shields in 2020 to protect drivers from physical abuse.

Drivers sucker-punched, spat on, burned by hot drinks, transit commissioners hear​

True, but at the same time, I don't really have any hesitation removing threats and vagrants off the TTC - permanently. It is not a social service, and its' mission cannot be jeopardized by them in the name of "protecting the vulnerable". When everyone is responsible - no one is responsible.

AoD
Don't get me wrong, I also think there needs to be a more prominent security presence on the TTC. If anything, just to make people feel better.

Transit Safety should have a visible presence in stations as well as on board trains and streetcars. This seems to have been more prevelant a few years ago.

Exactly, OC Transpo, added plexiglass shields in 2020 to protect drivers from physical abuse.

Drivers sucker-punched, spat on, burned by hot drinks, transit commissioners hear​

The operators deserve to be protected from crazies and violent folks. But so do I and everyone else using the system. And until we are I will vote with my feet (or butt) and travel otherwise, mostly in car or bicycle.

That’s your takeaway?

The employees are protected from the passengers. Clearly there’s a perceived danger. But who‘s protecting the passengers?

Usual response from the non-transit users. More automation...

Show me your Presto card... please...

artwork_ArtStation_RoboCop_movies_science_fiction_cyborg-1933369.jpg!d

From link.

I was a regular transit user until before Covid. More automation is not a fix for passenger safety.

Agreed.

We need to create a more local version of the British Transport Police. In London they are at a number of highly important tube stations providing security.

I know from first hand experience they mean business.

Agreed.

We need to create a more local version of the British Transport Police. In London they are at a number of highly important tube stations providing security.

I know from first hand experience they mean business.
The heavy presence of transport police in London was a response to the mainland IRA bombing campaigns in the 1980’s and 90’s rather than dealing with roughsleepers (homeless citizens). Their task remains primarily anti-terrorism. If they think that you might tick, they will remove you away from the public. Hopefully that isn’t a problem we need to worry about too much in TO.

The heavy presence of transport police in London was a response to the mainland IRA bombing campaigns in the 1980’s and 90’s rather than dealing with roughsleepers (homeless citizens). Their task remains primarily anti-terrorism. If they think that you might tick, they will remove you away from the public. Hopefully that isn’t a problem we need to worry about too much in TO.

We only had that happen once with the Armenian Bomb Threats in the 1980s.

This city is deteriorating not due to a lack of vision, but a lack of taking ownership in city hall (both politicians and staff). The city is filled with plans to make this a better place, but far too many are unfunded or unapproved. The city has the funding tools it has, it can complain about needing more tools, but without them the city needs to toughen up and run a budget and raise taxes when the things they believe in need funding. Meanwhile Josh Matlow and Mike Colle hold a press conference to present that "they need answers" on the Eglinton LRT, something their level of government is not responsible to deliver. Shouldn't it be that the public is complaining to Robin Martin and Jill Andrew who should then call the province to account? Clearly the Eglinton LRT is late and I'm not sure that it is any secret that there were some legal battles between Metrolinx and the consortium... so the people who are responsible for dealing with the issue are. Is there not enough wrong with what the city is doing to focus on for these councillors? Did Toronto city hall become good money managers and completely efficient while I wasn't looking? I was unaware city infrastructure and property was so well maintained that all that remained to do was to hold other levels of government to account for not meeting the city's exacting standards.

The solutions to the security issues on the TTC will no doubt be knee jerk... like the shields to protect TTC workers. That isn't a strategy, that suggests the solution to security issues is for everyone to live their lives behind a shield, rather than questioning why violent or mentally deranged people are roaming the city. Now with some stabbings on the TTC undoubtedly if anything is done it will be half baked. It will accept that crime will occur and increase over time, rather than be committed to reducing it over time to make the city a safer city in actuality.

On the King Streetcar, the solution to improving speed seems like something easy to define and solve. Why don't some councillors and the mayor get together and hold the city to account by saying they want King Streetcar to hit some targets on line speed and reliability and hold a press conference on that? Light priority, removal of some stops, and some policing on traffic rules seems like it would lead to meaningful change.

I don't think anyone really needs to follow traffic rules anymore... I think the mantra "there are bigger crimes to solve" has led to people feeling comfortable ignoring no turning signs, blocking intersections, etc. I'm curious when the last charge for graffiti was laid. If you don't enforce the smaller things they become larger issues.

Why don't Josh Matlow and Mike Colle hold a press conference on why Eglinton Connects will not be ready in time for the Eglinton LRT opening.

I understand what you're getting at; but let me offer, most media outlets in Toronto have reporters who are not transit geeks, don't read Steve Munro's site, or Urban Toronto with any regularity, if at all.

Why not submit the story idea to two different media outlets? Provide a base set of facts, why the story is important, and why residents across Toronto would care.

Back