News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Mods.. can someone kindly give turbanplanner a time out?

Enough with this already.
Don’t work I’m going to go away from this website for a while if people literally are going to call me a liar as I post pictures of me riding transit for fun i don’t want to talk to such hateful people..

Meanwhile, some good news for public transit. Next step, a city parking tax...

From link.

Dufferin Mall​

900 Dufferin Street, Toronto, ON M6H 4A9

Parking

Free parking is currently available at the street level from both Dufferin and Croatia Streets, and underground on two levels of our parking garage.

PAID PARKING
In the coming months (late 2022/early 2023), paid parking will come into effect at Dufferin Mall. This will be done in partnership with Imperial Parking Corporation Canada, a division of the Reef Network (https://www.impark.com/).​
Shoppers will be permitted to park at Dufferin Mall for up to three (3) hours free of charge.​
Any shopper parking longer than three (3) hours will be required to pay $2 for each additional hour, with a daily maximum of $8.​
PARKING STATIONS
For your convenience, parking stations are located on the P1 and P2 levels of the Dufferin Mall parking garage:
  • Two (2) in the P1 level located near the elevator and the near the ramp down from the surface level.
  • Two (2) on the P2 level located near the elevator and the stairs leading up to food court.
FAQS
  • When is paid parking coming into effect at Dufferin Mall?
Paid parking will come into effect in the coming months.​
  • What will the parking rates be?
Monday to Sunday​
Mall patrons only – 3 hours Free​
Each additional hour or less - $2​
Daily Maximum - $8 (until 11:59pm)​
  • Is there a penalty for parking longer than 3 hours?
Yes. Vehicles that park without payment of the posted rate or failure to properly display a valid parking pass may receive a violation from Imperial Parking Corporation Canada.​
  • Are License Plate Recognition (LPR) cameras being used?
Yes. The LPR cameras will be setup at every Dufferin Mall parking entrance and will read a vehicle’s license plate. This information will go the Impark’s onsite representative to track when a vehicle arrived and how long it has been parked at Dufferin Mall. The use of LPR cameras means shoppers parking under 3 hours will not need to enter their license plates at pay stations or Offstreet app prior to shopping at Dufferin Mall.​
  • What is the procedure to pay for parking?
If you plan to park longer than 3 hours, after parking, please register your license plate number at the pay stations and pay for your additional time. If you did not plan on shopping longer than 3 hours but do happen to, please return to the pay stations on the P1 and P2 levels of the parking garage and pay for additional time. Parking can also be purchased in advance via the the Offstreet web-app.​
  • Are there pay stations on the surface level of the parking lot?
No. Pay Stations are only located on the P1 and P2 levels of the parking lot.​
  • I only need to shop for a for a few minutes, do I need to register my license plate at the pay stations?
No. You only need to register your license plate if you are planning to park your vehicle longer than three hours.​
  • What if I park on the surface level and want to park longer than 3 hours?
If you have already parked on the surface level and plan to park your vehicle longer than three hours, we ask that you relocate your vehicle to either the P1 or P2 level of the parking lot and pay for your additional time at the pay stations or via the Offstreet web-app.​
  • Will monthly rates be available?
Yes. For those who frequent Dufferin Mall on a daily basis, monthly parking rates are available.​
  • What was the reasoning to move to paid parking?
Due to the many developments and construction projects in the surrounding area, less and less of the parking spaces meant for Dufferin Mall patrons. By instituting paid parking, our hope is to discourage those who aren’t shopping at Dufferin Mall from freely parking at Dufferin Mall for extended periods and leaving more parking spaces to loyal Dufferin Mall shoppers.​
  • Is Dufferin Mall managing paid parking?
Paid parking will be managed by Imperial Parking Corporation Canada (Impark), a division of the Reef Network. For more details, please visit https://www.impark.com/toronto/.​

Meanwhile, some good news for public transit. Next step, a city parking tax...

From link.

Dufferin Mall​

900 Dufferin Street, Toronto, ON M6H 4A9

Parking

Free parking is currently available at the street level from both Dufferin and Croatia Streets, and underground on two levels of our parking garage.

PAID PARKING
In the coming months (late 2022/early 2023), paid parking will come into effect at Dufferin Mall. This will be done in partnership with Imperial Parking Corporation Canada, a division of the Reef Network (https://www.impark.com/).​
Shoppers will be permitted to park at Dufferin Mall for up to three (3) hours free of charge.​
Any shopper parking longer than three (3) hours will be required to pay $2 for each additional hour, with a daily maximum of $8.​
PARKING STATIONS
For your convenience, parking stations are located on the P1 and P2 levels of the Dufferin Mall parking garage:
  • Two (2) in the P1 level located near the elevator and the near the ramp down from the surface level.
  • Two (2) on the P2 level located near the elevator and the stairs leading up to food court.
FAQS
  • When is paid parking coming into effect at Dufferin Mall?
Paid parking will come into effect in the coming months.​
  • What will the parking rates be?
Monday to Sunday​
Mall patrons only – 3 hours Free​
Each additional hour or less - $2​
Daily Maximum - $8 (until 11:59pm)​
  • Is there a penalty for parking longer than 3 hours?
Yes. Vehicles that park without payment of the posted rate or failure to properly display a valid parking pass may receive a violation from Imperial Parking Corporation Canada.​
  • Are License Plate Recognition (LPR) cameras being used?
Yes. The LPR cameras will be setup at every Dufferin Mall parking entrance and will read a vehicle’s license plate. This information will go the Impark’s onsite representative to track when a vehicle arrived and how long it has been parked at Dufferin Mall. The use of LPR cameras means shoppers parking under 3 hours will not need to enter their license plates at pay stations or Offstreet app prior to shopping at Dufferin Mall.​
  • What is the procedure to pay for parking?
If you plan to park longer than 3 hours, after parking, please register your license plate number at the pay stations and pay for your additional time. If you did not plan on shopping longer than 3 hours but do happen to, please return to the pay stations on the P1 and P2 levels of the parking garage and pay for additional time. Parking can also be purchased in advance via the the Offstreet web-app.​
  • Are there pay stations on the surface level of the parking lot?
No. Pay Stations are only located on the P1 and P2 levels of the parking lot.​
  • I only need to shop for a for a few minutes, do I need to register my license plate at the pay stations?
No. You only need to register your license plate if you are planning to park your vehicle longer than three hours.​
  • What if I park on the surface level and want to park longer than 3 hours?
If you have already parked on the surface level and plan to park your vehicle longer than three hours, we ask that you relocate your vehicle to either the P1 or P2 level of the parking lot and pay for your additional time at the pay stations or via the Offstreet web-app.​
  • Will monthly rates be available?
Yes. For those who frequent Dufferin Mall on a daily basis, monthly parking rates are available.​
  • What was the reasoning to move to paid parking?
Due to the many developments and construction projects in the surrounding area, less and less of the parking spaces meant for Dufferin Mall patrons. By instituting paid parking, our hope is to discourage those who aren’t shopping at Dufferin Mall from freely parking at Dufferin Mall for extended periods and leaving more parking spaces to loyal Dufferin Mall shoppers.​
  • Is Dufferin Mall managing paid parking?
Paid parking will be managed by Imperial Parking Corporation Canada (Impark), a division of the Reef Network. For more details, please visit https://www.impark.com/toronto/.​
This seems interesting. It sounds like it'll cost a lot to build and run with hardly any revenue. Of note, it seems that they won't be enforcing the parking rules on the surface lot.

I'm very happy with the increased police and staff presence on transit. The noticeable increase in security presence makes the subway a less anxious ride for me at least. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

This new article by John Lorinc (http://spacing.ca/toronto/2023/01/31/lorinc-how-safe-is-the-ttc/), referencing the most recent CEO's report, shows that as of the end of last year, safety and security issues on the TTC are largely stable.

I think that people advocating for more enforcement on the TTC have not done the necessary analysis to show that the recent deeply unfortunate events are:
  1. Represent a new trend,
  2. Are rapidly escalating,
  3. Will result in ridership declining, and
  4. Require additional police officers and additional spending on policing to resolve.
Given the dismal fiscal situation that the City has created for itself, my perspective is that spending money to pay police and security officers to stand around on random subway platforms all day is only slightly more efficient than putting that money in a barrel and lighting it on fire and will do almost nothing to directly address the security and safety issues.

1675267387509.png

This new article by John Lorinc (http://spacing.ca/toronto/2023/01/31/lorinc-how-safe-is-the-ttc/), referencing the most recent CEO's report, shows that as of the end of last year, safety and security issues on the TTC are largely stable.

I think that people advocating for more enforcement on the TTC have not done the necessary analysis to show that the recent deeply unfortunate events are:
  4. Require additional police officers and additional spending on policing to resolve.
Given the dismal fiscal situation that the City has created for itself, my perspective is that spending money to pay police and security officers to stand around on random subway platforms all day is only slightly more efficient than putting that money in a barrel and lighting it on fire and will do almost nothing to directly address the security and safety issues.

View attachment 453671

The data you have presented clearly shows (granularity notwithstanding) an elevated level of incidents since the pandemic.

AoD

View attachment 453671
Though I agree with your final conclusion, I would say that I have VERY little faith in TTC statistics. Are these complaint figures of complaints that involved police, involved 'only' TTC security, involved only a non-confirmed customer complaint and where did these events occur - subway, bus/streetcar etc etc. Stats from an organization which reports that service is, in general, well managed despite all the observations to the contrary leave much to be desired!

Though I agree with your final conclusion, I would say that I have VERY little faith in TTC statistics. Are these complaint figures of complaints that involved police, involved 'only' TTC security, involved only a non-confirmed customer complaint and where did these events occur - subway, bus/streetcar etc etc. Stats from an organization which reports that service is, in general, well managed despite all the observations to the contrary leave much to be desired!

Good old GIGO - but assuming the process of gathering that data didn't change, the very fact that you now have a new, higher plateau indicates a real problem.

AoD

View attachment 453671
The graph shows a dramatic increase in the rate of crime from pre-covid times. It's well over 2x

I know many people including myself who avoid/reduce their transit usage due to recent events. I have seen this sentiment on this forum from others too.

The feeling that transit is safe is important for those who have a choice to take transit, and having a police presence reduces the opportunity for crime which directly addresses safety and security issues. When people are being watched they behave better. That's been replicated.

From 9 months ago:
"The Star reports that criminal and bylaw offences on TTC buses, specifically, had been declining for years until 2020, when COVID hit. Then, in 2021, the number shot up from 173 to 312.

This is significantly higher than the number of offences recorded in 2019, pre-pandemic, when only 249 people were attacked.

Assaults are up across the board in the City of Toronto, according to the TPS public safety data portal, rising 9.4 per cent this year to date from the year previous, which may explain at least part of this problem."

On the safety discussion above:

- As I previously noted, Toronto saw a significant decline in homicides, and in shootings last year, and that trendline continued in January '23 in a favourable way.

- The MCI ( Major Crime Index) did rise somewhat in 2022 (this is everything from car thefts to robberies to assaults) though, when comparing the numbers over a 5-year timeline the per capita MCI has actually declined slightly.

- The MCI, however, did show an unfavourable bump up in January '23.

In specific respect of the TTC, there is no question there has been a spike in incidents when comparing Fall '21 to Fall '22.

The increase from lowest point to highest is ~100% from just under 1 incident per Million Boardings, to just shy of 2 incidents per Million boardings.

The key here is not the quality of TTC data, but that is collected in a consistent way over time which allows us to see trendlines. Clearly those are unfavourable by any reasonable measure.

Notwithstanding that; I do believe the media is now providing a level of attention to these incidents, which fortunately, remain comparatively rare, which is making them appear relatively more alarming than is merited.

That's not to suggest we ought not be concerned; but rather 'panic' is not a rational response and not merited by the facts.

Where as a 5-day per week transit rider will board the TTC something like 500 times per year. (250 workdays x 2); at the current rate of 'incidents' one has a 1 in 800,000 chance of being a victim in the next year.

Just a bit of perspective.

I continue to support:

Additional, long-term mental healthcare beds for those unwilling or unable to take anti-psychotic medication which maintains them in a sober, and safe state.

Additional short and medium term beds to assist people in recovering from addictions.

Significantly more affordable housing/shelter capacity and improvements to the quality, safety, hygiene and flexibility of the latter to ensure everyone who needs shelter can find it, and will choose to accept the help.

Additional outreach to those in need on TTC (and elsewhere) to connect them with the above supports.

Then, having done the above, by all means, lets employ appropriate 'enforcement' against those clearly flaunting serious rules, who are a threat to others safety, or who refuse assistance w/o just cause.

I also favour reorganizing and streamlining fares to make them slightly more affordable, and much easier to understand and enforce against.

I also favour eliminating fare boxes on buses (and accepting cash fares) so as to remove one point of conflict and create greater efficiency.

I also favour more pro-active customer service from the TTC; to encourage positive feelings toward the organization and staff, and to elevate public engagement, but also that of staff so that neither are jaded and all report any problems
with the reasonable expectation of them being actioned by management.

Last edited:
Given the very low rate of safety incidents, I think it would be more informative and valuable if the TTC posted the incident count as well. The absolute count of incidents would probably be more informative given the very variable ridership throughout the pandemic.

I am not sure that evidence supports that increasing police presence will decrease opportunity for crime. Even if you accept that having a visible security presence will directly reduce criminal offenses (which I am not convinced of), there are two further issues:

The planned additional increase in security officers will provide very low coverage compared to the TTC network as a whole. Given the random and unpredictable nature of the recent criminal actions, the additional spending and resourcing will have little effect effect.

And, most importantly, police and security officers can cause safety and security issues. How will populations more vulnerable to arbitrary and unfair police enforcement, such as young Black men or homeless people feel about additional officers who will feel pressure to respond to perceived issues. I've seen TTC employees give a bit of grief a couple times to some Black teens who were just being young and horsing around a bit with each other--but not to white teens in similar situations. Having more uniformed officers will create an additional possibility of escalation.

I would be very surprised if physical interactions between police or security officers and the public are counted in the offenses against customers statistics.

I also favour reorganizing and streamlining fares to make them slightly more affordable, and much easier to understand and enforce against.

I also favour eliminating fare boxes on buses (and accepting cash fares) so as to remove one point of conflict and create greater efficiency.
Not sure how fares can be ' reorganized or streamlined' or what you mean. The fare structure is quite clear: there are three main classes of customers: Children, Adults and Seniors and fares can be paid via PRESTO or in cash. The basic point that seems to be lost on some customers is that a fare must always be paid! I am not sure that 'making them slightly more affordable' will make much difference.

I am also puzzled about why 'removing fare boxes' (and cash fares) will remove a point of conflict. Do you mean that the bus Operators will not confirm that a Presto fare is paid either so that anyone can walk into a bus and the only fare enforcement is done by Fare Inspectors? While I agree that having the bus operator confirm that a fare has been paid does slow things down a bit and is a possible source of conflict, having roaming fare inspectors on buses is NOT simple (except, maybe, if they end at a subway station - when any fare evaders would surely just get off one stop before?) One could also stop all tap-free entry to subways for those arriving by buses or streetcars that enter the fare paid areas but that would be a huge change here and certainly increase congestion. On most buses, particularly the more crowded ones we are told to expect, having an Inspector walk up the aisle to inspect would be very difficult.

Not sure how fares can be ' reorganized or streamlined' or what you mean. The fare structure is quite clear: there are three main classes of customers: Children, Adults and Seniors and fares can be paid via PRESTO or in cash. The basic point that seems to be lost on some customers is that a fare must always be paid! I am not sure that 'making them slightly more affordable' will make much difference.

I would eliminate all age-based concessions; this eliminates the issue of teens who may appear younger attempting to enter for free, or 11/12 year olds who may appear older being suspected of fare evasion. I would likewise remove seniors concessions.

I would also eliminate all passes in the process in favour of simple 'ride capping' (what GO already does)

By capping any class of rider at 40 rides, even at current Presto Adult fares, the maximum monthly fare would go down for both Seniors and Students.

That said, I would lower the Presto fare so as to ensure the new monthly cap was at or below the price of the current low-income pass.

At $3 per ride x 40 rides max. per month, no one would ever pay more than $120

I would likewise cap daily fares to 3 rides in any 24-hour period. Or a max of $9 per day. This eliminates certain types of fare evasion as an issue, particularly for those who pay, but then seek shelter on the system.

Currently, anyone buying a Presto Card spends $6 without getting any fares out of it.

I would remove this issue by making Cards $3 which also serves as your first fare (the card comes loaded w/$3)

The above removes any ambiguity about age, which Presto Card is appropriate, removes financial barriers to purchasing said card, and improves perception of fair (fare) value.

I am also puzzled about why 'removing fare boxes' (and cash fares) will remove a point of conflict.

Yes, I propose that operators of buses (just like subways and streetcars) should not be involved in fare collection.

This not only removes a potential point of friction over whether one tapped or not, but whether one put the correct amount of money in the fare box, or has a valid transfer.

This change allows for all-door loading, eliminates transfers entirely both the type used on buses and in stations at considerable savings.

The object, as always is:

1) Make it as easy as possible to do the 'right thing'

2) Make every transaction and its obligation intuitive.

3) Make enforcement non-ambiguous (ie. age is irrelevant, we're not counting coins, there's no argument about valid transfers, etc etc.)

* I would also slash the max fine for non-payment to match the exact same fine we issue for a parking ticket so as to appeal to a general sense of fairness; and would universally move to provide each person, I written warning for a violation (for a lifetime) to again make sure that enforcement 'appears' fair, and penalties proportionate. This should allow for greater enforcement, reduced conflict and greater public sympathy with enforcement.

Back