News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I suspect the figures would be very similar here.

transit.png

Reactions: rbt
What’s that?
It is piece of temporary trackwork that gets placed on the existing tracks, allows the cars to lift off of the permanent rails and onto the temporary trackwork, and allows them to switch from one track to the other.

I'm not sure how the term "California crossover" came to be, but they're used in many cities around the world for getting around work zones in a temporary manner.

Here's an example of one in use in Melbourne.

Dan

It is piece of temporary trackwork that gets placed on the existing tracks, allows the cars to lift off of the permanent rails and onto the temporary trackwork, and allows them to switch from one track to the other.

I'm not sure how the term "California crossover" came to be, but they're used in many cities around the world for getting around work zones in a temporary manner.

Dan

No need to change to buses before the construction area. Could be faster than doing all the passenger manoeuvring and waiting.

Is it just me has anyone else noticed a return of the covid barriers on the subway?

For the past few days, the guard car in every train I have been on has yellow Covid-19 barriers up.

New eligibility criteria for Wheel-Trans customers

April 5, 2023

To ensure compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), the TTC will be requiring all Wheel-Trans customers who had registered for Wheel-Trans service prior to Jan 1, 2017, to submit a new Wheel-Trans Eligibility Application. Customers who registered for Wheel-Trans after Jan. 1, 2017 do not need to re-register.

Prior to Jan. 1, 2017, eligibility for Wheel-Trans service was focused solely on physical mobility and did not consider other disabilities. The new eligibility categories are as follows:

• Unconditional eligibility: a person with a disability that prevents them from using conventional transportation services. The customer will always receive door-to-door service.
• Temporary eligibility: a person with a temporary disability that prevents them from using conventional transportation services. The customer will always receive door-to-door service.
• Conditional eligibility: a person with a disability where environmental or physical barriers limit their ability to consistently use conventional transportation services.

Customers that were registered with Wheel-Trans prior to Jan. 1, 2017 will be mailed a letter reminding them that they need to re-register by submitting a new Wheel-Trans Eligibility Application. Customers are required to submit their re-registration applications within two months from the date indicated on their letter.

Applications can be submitted by email to wteligibility@ttc.ca, by fax to 416-338-0126, by mail to Wheel-Trans, 580 Commissioners Street, Toronto, ON M4M 1A7, or by using the self-serve portal https://portal.ttc.ca/Account/Register. Alternative accessible formats are available upon request by contacting Wheel-Trans Customer Service.

For more information on eligibility, customers can contact Wheel-Trans Customer Service at 416-393-4111 or email at wtcs@ttc.ca.

This is a rant. Twice in the week, so far, my streetcar trips have been interrupted by major traffic snafus. If streetcars don’t have unrestricted right of way, then why have streetcars? They can’t wiggle free of the mishap as buses can.

I’ve used these TTC vehicles all of my adult life and it appears that there is no political will to fix the problem.

Streetcars are great on their own right of way. In the absence of this, we should have buses.

TTC passengers want to arrive on time.

This is a rant. Twice in the week, so far, my streetcar trips have been interrupted by major traffic snafus. If streetcars don’t have unrestricted right of way, then why have streetcars? They can’t wiggle free of the mishap as buses can.

I’ve used these TTC vehicles all of my adult life and it appears that there is no political will to fix the problem.
Unfortunately most of our politicians are useless and dont really care as evidenced by the recent and ongoing TTC service cuts.

Streetcars are great on their own right of way.
Regular riders of the 512 would say otherwise the way the TTC has been operating service there for the past couple years.

In the absence of this, we should have buses.
I dont blame you for feeling this way, since bustituted routes operate faster than streetcars do on their routes.

TTC passengers want to arrive on time.
Passgengers would love it, but the TTC couldnt care less. All that looks good to them are their metrics as to whether scheduled "service" operates on time +/- the idiotic standard they set for buses, streetcars and subways.

Doesn't help when the city continues to undermine streetcar infrastructure, operations, and by-laws. No double-point track switches, just the cheaper single-point track switches. No traffic signals at the subway egress points so that the buses and streetcars could at least enter into the roadway as they leave the stations. By-laws that support the automobile, with minimal fines if they block transit. Why should the single-occupant autos continue to be allowed priority to turn left ahead of the 100+ onboard the streetcar trying to get to the far-side stop?

Priority is still #1 for the automobile in the City of Toronto.

Doesn't help when the city continues to undermine streetcar infrastructure, operations, and by-laws. No double-point track switches, just the cheaper single-point track switches. No traffic signals at the subway egress points so that the buses and streetcars could at least enter into the roadway as they leave the stations. By-laws that support the automobile, with minimal fines if they block transit. Why should the single-occupant autos continue to be allowed priority to turn left ahead of the 100+ onboard the streetcar trying to get to the far-side stop?

Priority is still #1 for the automobile in the City of Toronto.
Just let’s get rid of the damned things if there’s no will to do it right. 👀.

Dan
My understanding, and this shows you the age of the temp diversion track starting to be widely used - is that it gained popularity in California when they still had tons of urban street railways.

Back