News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

i was just about to say what about Bell/Telus?
The issue people have raised is 9-1-1 calls - which work fine now in all the stations, and the downtown tunnels.

With the Rogers take-over, it will work everywhere.

At the same time, the hypocrisy from Bell is precious. They've had a decade to sign up to a deal with BAI. And based on the existing contracts with TTC, will still be able to sign up with Rogers. The only shafting that has been done here is by Bell (and Telus) - and previously by Rogers.

That's why noise-canceling headphones are your best friend.
Those often aren't enough for some of the blabbermouths (and they don't actually "cancel" out noise. You have to turn them up so high that other people can hear the music, which perpetuates the original problem.

"Kids these days" says one of the UT dads, LOL.
It's very much not "kids" though, OK it is them too, but I find the worst offenders are those in the 25 to 35 bracket, the mid-Millennials, and it has no correlation to income or class either. There's rich and poor alike who can't fathom shutting their yaps for even ten minutes.
I think there's a foreign component too. There's very much many more people from foreign cultures where checking in with every one of your family members multiple times per day, every single day, is an expected thing. Some people look at me weird when I tell them I go weeks without talking to any of my relatives, like they expect there are severe family problems, and when I tell them that no, it's perfectly normal for us to do that, they can't understand it.

EDIT: I work with someone who is from South America and she calls to check on her son several times a day, asking if he's had lunch, has he done his school work, etc. I was quite surprised when one day she mentioned that he is not a kid in high school or something, potentially at home while she is at work, but he's 25 years old and lives in Kingston doing a Masters Degree at Queen's. She can't go more than three hours, often less without calling. He hasn't lived at home for six years and she still calls him ten times per day to make sure he isn't dead. But this is normal to her. Whenever he doesn't anwswer she panics and calls over and over and over.

Last edited:
Those often aren't enough for some of the blabbermouths (and they don't actually "cancel" out noise. You have to turn them up so high that other people can hear the music, which perpetuates the original problem.
Maybe it depends on the brand. I made sure to get Bose QC-35's so I can't hear a thing when I'm playing music 😆

"Kids these days" says one of the UT dads, LOL.

I don't find the above to be true overall; I still see people holding doors and some folks, including teens offering up their seat on transit to someone elderly, and I hear plenty of please and TY.

The 00's, 90's, '80s etc etc. were not some panacea of very cultured, well mannered people living in harmony, LOL

And the 2020's are not an abomination of depravity. They are, however, one where we're dealing with new technology and socialization around that hasn't fully caught up yet.

Again, I think you're overselling this......

Worth adding, culture, including public behavior is always evolving. When we were growing up, construction sites were notorious for workers whistling and sometimes making lewd remarks at any attractive woman walking by. We rarely see this anymore. Said workers were rightly shamed; told that wasn't professional and wouldn't be tolerated on job sites, and over time, it has dropped off as a serious, normative issue.

Likewise, we can evolve how people communicate using phones, by some mixture of education, by parents, by schools, by peers, and by shaming where that alone is not enough. It will take time, but society has dealt w/far greater challenges, it can handle this one.
Being a dad gives me insight LOL. I experience a level of casual, unintentional disrespect that I never would have even contemplated with my own father. It's alien to me. That being said, they're good kids and not generally rude to others, so I'm doing something right I guess!

I'm certainly not saying the 80's were flawless, but I've noticed a distinct uptick in rudeness and flabbergasting stupidity in society in general over time, and it's not limited to younger people at all. That's just my own anecdotal evidence though. Obviously I can't prove it.

Here we go again, the clowns are trying to reinvent the wheel to try and generate additional revenue to the system through exploring station naming rights. No story up on news outlets just yet, but the commission is exploring it and the useless CEO will issue a report on it.

Here's an idea for the TTC to generate additional revenue: institute proper line management which will provide improved service, thus greater customer satisfaction, thus more customers willing to stay and ride on the system instead of abandoning it for other transportation means.

Not sure what happened with the previous deal with Pattison which included station naming rights which we never saw come into play:

I don't recall anyone posting this before, if they did, my bad........

An image to show the scope of work at Broadview Station this summer/fall, as the streetcar loop is expanded:

1681490887351.png

I for one find this image confusing in a couple of ways.

The new track alignment either creates room for an additional streetcar that has no boarding area..........or the platform between the two tracks has rather ridiculous looking pinch point.

Also , this seems to free up space that could be used to expand the parkette.....but that isn't mentioned.

An image to show the scope of work at Broadview Station this summer/fall, as the streetcar loop is expanded:

View attachment 469197

The new track alignment either creates room for an additional streetcar that has no boarding area..........or the platform between the two tracks has rather ridiculous looking pinch point.

Also , this seems to free up space that could be used to expand the parkette.....but that isn't mentioned.

1681490887351-png.469198
1681490887351.png

Orange = Existing Platform to be retained.
Red = Existing Platform to be removed.
Green = New platform extension.

My dislike for voice communication notwithstanding - it is more about me using my own data without having to worry about connecting to wifi and sporadic nature of station-dependent access.

In an earlier post, you said you weren't overly concerned with WiFi. The TTC is already trialling wifi on bus routes. They seem to want to expand it permanently across the bus and streetcar network. It would seem off-message/incohesive (for lack of a better word) if they didn't expand it onboard subway trains as well. There's also precedent for blocking voice communication over wifi (VIA Rail), but I've yet to see it be done over a cellular network.

Not overly concerned about free WiFi - it's more trouble than it's worth anyways (and a security nightmare in general).

AoD

It leaves the platform narrower - but the 505 platform is already wider (between the shelter and track) than 504, so really, it just tapers off at the front - but still adequate.

I'm more concerned about the construction re-routing (some of which is related to the simultaneous work on Coxwell).

For the first phase, the lack of a 504B looping Dundas/Parliament/Gerrard seems unfortunate, especially for those coming off the 506 shuttle bus, having to change to a 504/505 shuttle bus and then the 504A

And then in the second phase that remains (except using the 72). But eliminating a connection between the 8 and 62 to Line 2 in the west? Kind of makes both routes useless. They should extend them to Castle Frank, or drop them on Erindale, and loop back to Broadview on Ellerbeck/Pretoria; too many NIMBYs I suppose.

1681492840094.png

View attachment 469197

Hmm this is interesting havent seen the image before.

Just based on the image this looks like it will accommodate 2 LFLRVs on both platforms but unless they extend Track 1's platforms, I dont see how it would serve that 2 streetcars on that particular platform as you alluded to.

It also looks like it will accommodate an additional bus bay and more bus lay-by space which are all desperately needed, especially in the event of the all to common: "service is suspended between ___ and ____, shuttle buses are operating" events.

I inquired further on the Broadview platform issue, with someone who would know..........and the conclusion was in line with @littlewill1166 's post above, the platform extension will be narrower, but can be, because it won't have to allow for the staircase down.

No answer on the park question for now.

Apparently wheel squeal will be a concern with the new track geometry.

1681490887351-png.469198
View attachment 469201

Orange = Existing Platform to be retained.
Red = Existing Platform to be removed.
Green = New platform extension.

In an earlier post, you said you weren't overly concerned with WiFi. The TTC is already trialling wifi on bus routes. They seem to want to expand it permanently across the bus and streetcar network. It would seem off-message/incohesive (for lack of a better word) if they didn't expand it onboard subway trains as well. There's also precedent for blocking voice communication over wifi (VIA Rail), but I've yet to see it be done over a cellular network.

How long will we have to wait for a traffic signal at Erindale Avenue & Broadview Avenue? Or will the full streetcars will have to continue to bunch up waiting for permission to enter Broadview Avenue from the single-occupant automobiles? (Same for Edna Avenue & Dundas Street West at the Dundas West Station, and most other subway stations as well.)

What about the future Broadview streetcar going south into the Port Lands? Could the 505 DUNDAS streetcars be routed to the Gerrard Station on the Ontario Line?

Back