News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Is it just me or are you seeing more able-bodied people wait for the bus to come to a complete stop before they stand up and make their way to the doors? I find that some bus drivers are missing green lights because of this.

Is it just me or are you seeing more able-bodied people wait for the bus to come to a complete stop before they stand up and make their way to the doors? I find that some bus drivers are missing green lights because of this.
I find in Toronto its not much of a big problem compared to other municipalities. Go to a place like Hamilton and you'll see 80% of riders wait for the bus to complete stop before gathering their bags, standing up and taking their time to walk to the door and there's no doubt it's beyond irritating. TTC drives are pretty good in that they pick up on this quite a bit and they'll simply open the rear door before the rider gets to the door.

One thing i'm finding problematic is with the Flexitiys, but most specifically on the 510 and 509. Anytime a streetcar is about to depart and close it's doors, a rider will slowly take their time and press the button to open the door to board. At times this happens up to 4-5 times before the streetcar is finally able to close the doors for good and take off.

On York Region Transit they actually have an announcement saying "Please stay seated and hold on until the bus comes to a complete stop". Yes, you heard right, stay seated "and" hold on. Not "or". So apparently we're supposed to be sitting in our seats, holding onto the seat in front the whole time. And I guess York Region Transit has never heard of having a bus with enough people on it that not everyone gets a seat.

On York Region Transit they actually have an announcement saying "Please stay seated and hold on until the bus comes to a complete stop". Yes, you heard right, stay seated "and" hold on. Not "or". So apparently we're supposed to be sitting in our seats, holding onto the seat in front the whole time. And I guess York Region Transit has never heard of having a bus with enough people on it that not everyone gets a seat.

Is this an actual complaint?

Worse are the able bodied people who bypass the rear center doors, squeeze past the standees, to egress through the front doors. Preventing the passengers who want to board to get on.

That is ridiculous. It's the transit equivalent of political correctness.

I wrote about the Chinese straddling bus here once.

A full-sized prototype exists, but the company that manufactures it went out of business, as it turned out to be a pyramid scheme and the Chinese government was skeptical of the bus.

That is ridiculous. It's the transit equivalent of political correctness.
possibly liability avoidance.

However, on busy vehicles I'm not thrilled by people who have had a seat the whole way shoving past me and obliging me to let go of a hand hold to permit that, while the vehicle is performing an action (decelerating, if a bus probably also changing direction to line up to the curb for the stop) which the grab bars are there to mitigate.

possibly liability avoidance.

However, on busy vehicles I'm not thrilled by people who have had a seat the whole way shoving past me and obliging me to let go of a hand hold to permit that, while the vehicle is performing an action (decelerating, if a bus probably also changing direction to line up to the curb for the stop) which the grab bars are there to mitigate.
But aren't those who've had a seat for the whole trip entitled to be the first ones off?

Yet new passengers getting on a bus squeeze past other people as the bus is moving. So the bus should not move until the passengers gets to their seat (in my case, I walk all the way to the back to get an empty seat)?

Maybe the same should be done on subway or commuter trains, the train shouldn't move if people are still walking within the train? From the front of an articulated train to the back? Not going to happen on a train, not going happen on a bus.

A lot of buses in Russia have turnstiles that prevent you from using the front door to leave. It would be hard to work out accessibility, but of course in Russia there is none and they don't care about it a bit.

I wrote about the Chinese straddling bus here once.

A full-sized prototype exists, but the company that manufactures it went out of business, as it turned out to be a pyramid scheme and the Chinese government was skeptical of the bus.
Yes, you actually created a thread on it.

See: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/futuristic-chinese-bus-concept.25636/

Its death and the pyramid scheme were discussed further several months ago at: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/ttc-other-items-catch-all.20264/page-388#post-1237177

Last edited:
For any transit system using DD for local route, you "NEED" 2 door and have seen 3 on some systems in Europe. Hell!!, I even saw 3-4 doors on 40' buses and up to 5 on artic's

From my experience using both single and twin doors in Europe, your idle time can be a few seconds more than normal, depending on the load and stop and that can add up based on the number of stops.

Wasn't sure about using DD on local routes before going to Europe and nothing wrong using them after ridding them. I used both levels as well watch riders using the upper level and saw no real issue at all. Using DD is a lot better than artic's in the winter, let alone less room for bus terminal. Can seat more than artic. It becomes a learning curb at first for everyone, but it comes secondhand after time using the upper level a few time.

All DD I rode met AODA standards. Some DD had 2 stairs.
About DD buses, most of them only have two doors. Places like Hong Kong are primary DD buses and they have heck a lot more people riding on transit than us. Riders just have to watch for their stop and head downstairs at the stop ahead to avoid missing their stop. Even GO has local service stop spacing at the end of some routes and riders would have to get off early.

Worse are the able bodied people who bypass the rear center doors, squeeze past the standees, to egress through the front doors. Preventing the passengers who want to board to get on.
Except now with all door boarding, it can be difficult to get out at the back doors because people are pushing to get on.

Back