News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

And by the way, not everyone afford to have $20 automatically taken from our accounts, especially if someone is using transit infrequent.

I think there's also an inherent distrust in giving credit card information to a system that hasn't figured out how to properly charge a fare. I don't trust my cellular provider enough to let it auto-bill me, let alone the provincial government's latest NIH-syndrome boondoggle.

Escuse me? I have no right to complain that Presto isn’t working as advertised? After we paid how many hundreds of millions of dollars for this thing? Give me a break.

And by the way, not everyone afford to have $20 automatically taken from our accounts, especially if someone is using transit infrequent.

I am entirely w/ @TheTigerMaster and @aquateam here.

I have a very comfortable bank balance. I have some pre-authorized payments.

But as a matter of personal preference, I prefer to minimize those, both for reasons of privacy/security and also because I prefer to keep such payments to those that are identical each month, and fixed in point-of-time.

The idea of tracking withdrawals (not made by me) that could vary by days or even weeks would aggravate my sense of order!

I personally am a fan of autoload, because I don't have to go around looking for reloading machines or waiting for the reloading to take effect. I've never had a problem with it. I charge it to my credit card and earn PC points, just as I do with my Starbucks and Tim's autoloads. More bang for my buck :)

I personally am a fan of autoload, because I don't have to go around looking for reloading machines or waiting for the reloading to take effect. I've never had a problem with it. I charge it to my credit card and earn PC points, just as I do with my Starbucks and Tim's autoloads. More bang for my buck :)

Autoload is convenient. It’s just not an option for everyone. Which is why it’s ridiculous to tel people they have no right to complain about Presto if they don’t use Autoload.

Autoload is convenient. It’s just not an option for everyone. Which is why it’s ridiculous to tel people they have no right to complain about Presto if they don’t use Autoload.

I guess what I was getting at was don't complain about the reload machines not working if you do not use the other option which bypasses them altogether.

It is like someone complaining how they can't get around on the weekend because the subway is out for a scheduled closure but refusing to take a shuttle or alternative routing.

Sorry for offending you, it's just gets on my nerve when people complain despite refusing the alternatives.

You don't have to be broke to realize that being frugal by not allowing pre-authorized deductions from your account, for almost anything, is prudent behaviour.

If I didn't have to constantly be aware of my Presto account going down faster than it should, there's a multitude of glitches that would have cost me hundreds of dollars. Carry a float, by all means, but not more than you can keep track of.

I guess what I was getting at was don't complain about the reload machines not working if you do not use the other option which bypasses them altogether.

It is like someone complaining how they can't get around on the weekend because the subway is out for a scheduled closure but refusing to take a shuttle or alternative routing.

Sorry for offending you, it's just gets on my nerve when people complain despite refusing the alternatives.
No it isn't. It's like a bank refusing to tell you what your balance is on request. Or charging you every time they glitch. Or sucking you for money if your card goes defective.

If Presto was regulated by the http://www.osfi-bsif.gc.ca/Eng/Pages/default.aspx there would be a hell of a lot more accountability and control of deposits.

Tell me, when are Presto going to start paying interest on the money they hold from people? Your landlord has to on your last month's rent.

Why You Should Think Twice About Pre-Authorized Payment

Addendum:

Here's the fix, since I've stated how Presto isn't regulated like the banks are:

For fug's sake, come into the modern age and have Presto accept other cards, like bank cards, so if there's a problem, they don't charge you for it. Card breaks? They replace it, right there at any branch. No charge. No pre-authorized payment? It's superfluous and moot. You have the money, you just don't trust Presto to lose it for you. No disrespect to the workers on the front line, it pizzes them off as much as anyone else. It's the morons who used our money to pay Accenture, who were lambasted by the Auditor General last screw-up, to force a buggy, untried system on us instead of using a tried and trued one from elsewhere.

What a concept.

And for those that want to stick to Presto? Hey...tap yourselves out...

https://globalnews.ca/news/3394489/...val-transit-testing-credit-card-fare-payment/

Last edited:
No it isn't. It's like a bank refusing to tell you what your balance is on request. Or charging you every time they glitch. Or sucking you for money if your card goes defective.

If Presto was regulated by the http://www.osfi-bsif.gc.ca/Eng/Pages/default.aspx there would be a hell of a lot more accountability and control of deposits.

Tell me, when are Presto going to start paying interest on the money they hold from people? Your landlord has to on your last month's rent.

It amuses me that you mention money being held on Presto cards. TFL in London has millions, if not billions of pounds sitting idle on Oyster cards unused but never had any calls to pay interest on the amounts.

They also do not show the balances when you tap in/out. The world has not ended.

I know Autoload exists.
Don’t tell me to use autoload to work around Presto’s deficiencies. Presto should work as advertised.
The autoload is more to avoid 'deficiencies' in the customers - who forget to reload. Frankly, it works very well and I see no reason why one would not use it.

It amuses me that you mention money being held on Presto cards. TFL in London has millions, if not billions of pounds sitting idle on Oyster cards unused but never had any calls to pay interest on the amounts.

They also do not show the balances when you tap in/out. The world has not ended.
TfL accepts credit and debit cards.
What are contactless payment cards?
Most UK banks now issue their debit, credit, charge or pre-paid cards as contactless cards. This means you can use them for purchases under £30 with no need for a PIN or signature - just touch your card on a contactless card reader.
Some other methods of contactless payment are accepted on our services, including mobile phone apps, key fobs, stickers and wristbands.

If you're travelling with other people, each person must have their own card. You can't share the same contactless card to pay for travel.

contactless-symbol.jpg

If you've got a contactless card but haven't used it yet, you might need to make a chip and PIN payment elsewhere before you can use it for contactless payments.

Find out more about mobile payments and other methods of contactless payment.

Can I use my UK card to travel?
If your card was issued in the UK on Visa, MasterCard, Maestro or American Express and displays the contactless payment symbol (shown above), you should be able to use it to travel on bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail, Emirates Air Line, River Bus and most National Rail services in London.

You can't use contactless payment cards issued on other platforms, such as Diners Club, JCB or Union Pay.

Some UK card providers don't currently issue contactless payment cards. You can't use your payment card to travel on our services if:

• It does not display the contactless symbol
  • Your issuer has not advised you that it can be used for contactless payments
Even if it can't be used for contactless travel, you can still use your payment card to buy tickets at ticket machines at stations.

If you're not sure if your card is contactless, check with your card issuer. To get more information about contactless payment cards, go to the UK Cards Association website.

Non-UK contactless cards
Most contactless cards issued outside the UK can be used to buy tickets or top up an Oyster card at ticket machines at Tube, DLR, London Overground and TfL rail stations, at ticket offices and Visitor Centres, even if they can't be used for contactless travel.

The list below shows which cards issued outside the UK are accepted for contactless travel.
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless/what-are-contactless-payment-cards

Imagine that! Options...and TfL is far from the only system to do so.

Did you know?
Instead of using Auto top-up, you may wish to use contactless to pay as you go. With contactless, you're charged the same adult-rate fare as Oyster, you never have to top up again and you can benefit from weekly as well as daily capping.Find out more

Most tourists use Oyster though. Locals use contactless more often than not.
And? That's exactly the choice I was pointing out. Btw: I use my Cdn MasterCard no prob on it. I do have to pay a small FX charge but hey...If I was there for any length of time, I'd re-open an account there to handle it.
One billion journeys made by contactless payment on London’s transport network
06 July 2017
Latest figures show that 40% of all pay as you go journeys are now made using contactless payment - up from around 25% a year ago

["London continues to lead the way in terms of contactless payment around the world, and the money we make selling TfL's innovation and expertise to other major global cities will allow us to put further money into improving London's own transport network"
Sadiq Khan
Mayor of London]

London's transport network has now seen more than one billion pay as you go journeys made by contactless payment cards - as the new payment option has substantially changed the way customers pay for their travel around the city.

The landmark figures, published today by TfL, show that, on average, two million journeys are now made using contactless every day.

In total, 40% of all pay as you go journeys are now made using contactless. This is up from 25% in early 2016.

Of these, almost one in 10 contactless transactions are now made using mobile devices, with more than 31 million journeys made specifically using mobile phones in London in the last 12 months. [...]
https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/p...actless-payment-on-london-s-transport-network

Last edited:
Part of Line 1 closed this weekend for Eglinton Crosstown construction and TTC work

February 20, 2018

This weekend, Feb. 24-25, Metrolinx crews will continue construction on the new Eglinton Crosstown LRT, while the TTC takes advantage of this closure to perform track maintenance and asbestos removal in the vicinity, resulting in the closure of TTC's Line 1 Yonge-University between Sheppard-Yonge and St Clair stations.

There will be no traditional north-south shuttle bus service on Yonge Street during this closure. Instead, to provide faster service and more options for customers, the TTC will add frequent express service on all major east-west routes to connect customers to the University portion of Line 1 at Yonge-Sheppard, York Mills, Lawrence and Eglinton stations. This will allow for quicker access to the downtown core, including the Air Canada Centre for the Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Raptors games this weekend.

TTC Customer Service Ambassadors will be present in all stations along the closure area to assist customers getting where they need to go.

In addition to regular weekend bus service, express buses will run frequently on the following routes:
- 32 Eglinton West
- 52 Lawrence West
- 84 Sheppard West
- 96 Wilson

For customers travelling to and from locations along Yonge St., the TTC will provide increased service on the 97 Yonge route.

The 61 Avenue Rd North and 512 St Clair routes will also run more frequently throughout the weekend.

Please see the attached map for more information.

Customers travelling from York Region are encouraged to use the University portion of Line 1. Free parking is available at Highway 407, Pioneer Village and Finch West stations.

All stations will be open for fare sales, connections and access to surface vehicles. Buses that normally service Davisville Station will board outside on Yonge St., Chaplin Cres. and Davisville Ave. TTC staff will be on site to direct customers and answer questions.

Current work on the Eglinton Crosstown project includes construction below the existing TTC station at Eglinton, a shift of the TTC's platform to the north and a new TTC tunnel ventilation system at the south and north ends of the subway platform.

The Eglinton Crosstown LRT is scheduled to open in 2021.
This is the first of several closures of this portion of Line 1 in 2018. More than 20 closures in total will be required for Crosstown LRT construction.

The next scheduled subway closures are:
- Mar. 10-11 - Line 1 Yonge-University: St Clair West to Union for ATC signal upgrades
- Mar. 17-18 - Line 3 Scarborough for track work

One
Part of Line 1 closed this weekend for Eglinton Crosstown construction and TTC work

February 20, 2018

This weekend, Feb. 24-25, Metrolinx crews will continue construction on the new Eglinton Crosstown LRT, while the TTC takes advantage of this closure to perform track maintenance and asbestos removal in the vicinity, resulting in the closure of TTC's Line 1 Yonge-University between Sheppard-Yonge and St Clair stations.

There will be no traditional north-south shuttle bus service on Yonge Street during this closure. Instead, to provide faster service and more options for customers, the TTC will add frequent express service on all major east-west routes to connect customers to the University portion of Line 1 at Yonge-Sheppard, York Mills, Lawrence and Eglinton stations. This will allow for quicker access to the downtown core, including the Air Canada Centre for the Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Raptors games this weekend.

TTC Customer Service Ambassadors will be present in all stations along the closure area to assist customers getting where they need to go.

In addition to regular weekend bus service, express buses will run frequently on the following routes:
- 32 Eglinton West
- 52 Lawrence West
- 84 Sheppard West
- 96 Wilson

For customers travelling to and from locations along Yonge St., the TTC will provide increased service on the 97 Yonge route.

The 61 Avenue Rd North and 512 St Clair routes will also run more frequently throughout the weekend.

Please see the attached map for more information.

Customers travelling from York Region are encouraged to use the University portion of Line 1. Free parking is available at Highway 407, Pioneer Village and Finch West stations.

All stations will be open for fare sales, connections and access to surface vehicles. Buses that normally service Davisville Station will board outside on Yonge St., Chaplin Cres. and Davisville Ave. TTC staff will be on site to direct customers and answer questions.

Current work on the Eglinton Crosstown project includes construction below the existing TTC station at Eglinton, a shift of the TTC's platform to the north and a new TTC tunnel ventilation system at the south and north ends of the subway platform.

The Eglinton Crosstown LRT is scheduled to open in 2021.
This is the first of several closures of this portion of Line 1 in 2018. More than 20 closures in total will be required for Crosstown LRT construction.

The next scheduled subway closures are:
- Mar. 10-11 - Line 1 Yonge-University: St Clair West to Union for ATC signal upgrades
- Mar. 17-18 - Line 3 Scarborough for track work

One of 22 planned closures of the section of Line 1 from St Clair to Lawrence, Sheppard-Yonge or Finch (reduced from 24). And there will be a long list of extremely disruptive road closures for events on many of these weekends including numerous closures of DVP, Gardiner and Lake Shore.

Back