News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This is partly why I started ignoring them when they ask for my Presto card at subway stations. A couple of weeks ago, I was on crutches and they asked me to let them scan my Presto Card at Union at 11 pm after I got off my delayed VIA Rail train. They then asked me for my Student ID which was in my backpack (which I couldn't reach). I asked for a bench or something so I could sit down and get it from my backpack. They pretty much said no, so I proceeded to the platform where there was a bench (they never followed me, but they did yell after me and made a scene). Reported the last presto card lost and paid $6 to get a new one.

Now, I just roll my eyes and ignore them. Most of the time they just yell at me, one chased after me onto the platform and kept on pestering/threatening me. Kept giving her the silent treatment, she tried blocking me but I managed to get on the train (I'm still on crutches), she never ended up following me.

This is partly why I started ignoring them when they ask for my Presto card at subway stations. A couple of weeks ago, I was on crutches and they asked me to let them scan my Presto Card at Union at 11 pm after I got off my delayed VIA Rail train. They then asked me for my Student ID which was in my backpack (which I couldn't reach). I asked for a bench or something so I could sit down and get it from my backpack. They pretty much said no, so I proceeded to the platform where there was a bench (they never followed me, but they did yell after me and made a scene). Reported the last presto card lost and paid $6 to get a new one.

Now, I just roll my eyes and ignore them. Most of the time they just yell at me, one chased after me onto the platform and kept on pestering/threatening me. Kept giving her the silent treatment, she tried blocking me but I managed to get on the train (I'm still on crutches), she never ended up following me.

You sound like a fare evader.

Put your PRESTO card into a card holder. DO NOT PUNCH A HOLE IN THE CARD. Attach to a lanyard. Don't have to hunt for your PRESTO, if it is around your neck.

IMG_2340.jpeg

Put your PRESTO card into a card holder. DO NOT PUNCH A HOLE IN THE CARD. Attach to a lanyard. Don't have to hunt for your PRESTO, if it is around your neck.

View attachment 211049
It wasn't the card it was student ID they were looking for. At Western University your student card is your bus pass on London transit. And you have to tap your card on the card reader just like with PRESTO (it's the same model of reader btw). I had both card in the same holder once, and the reader didn't respond in London or in Toronto. Also it's not like you can have more than two cards in that card holder anyways, so what are you supposed to do when they ask for a driver's license and you're on crutches. It's honestly much easier just to ignore them because they don't seem to have any power to stop you from simply walking away.

However, PRESTO TICKETS will be available.

From link.

PRESTO Tickets
One-ride, two-ride and day pass PRESTO Tickets are available at all TTC subway stations. You can also purchase PRESTO Tickets at all Shoppers Drug Mart locations in Toronto.​
PRESTO Tickets are great for people who don't use the TTC regularly, or visitors to the city. Each person over the age of 12 is required to have their own PRESTO Ticket. This also applies to the day pass PRESTO Ticket. A group/family day pass PRESTO Ticket is not available.​

PRESTO Tickets
Cost
One-ride​
$3.25​
Two-ride​
$6.50​
Day pass​
$13.00​

• Note: PRESTO Tickets expire 90 days after purchase.
  • PRESTO Tickets are eligible for the two-hour transfer
PRESTO cards still provide customers with the lowest fare. You can purchase one for $6 and load it with money or a monthly pass at all stations, any Shoppers Drug Mart location, online at prestocard.ca and at the TTC Customer Service Centre above Davisville Station.​
Using a PRESTO Ticket

You must tap your PRESTO Ticket every time you enter a subway station and whenever you board a bus or streetcar. Your tapped PRESTO Ticket is your Proof-of-Payment. You must keep it with you while travelling on the system and be prepared to show it to a TTC fare inspector upon request. Once your fare(s) have been used and your transfer or day pass has expired, you must purchase another ticket or pay by cash. PRESTO Tickets are not reloadable. PRESTO Tickets can only be used to pay your fare on the TTC. They are not accepted on any of the other transit agencies that use PRESTO.​
Visit the FAQ page for more information.​
For seniors and students, you should use the PRESTO card to get the discount.

At Western University your student card is your bus pass on London transit. And you have to tap your card on the card reader just like with PRESTO (it's the same model of reader btw). I had both card in the same holder once, and the reader didn't respond in London or in Toronto.

Such BS. The ISO-14443A protocol that the Mifare chips in these cards are based on gives each card a unique ID (this UID is akin to an Ethernet interface's MAC address) and provides a way to identify multiple cards in the read field and query them independently using their UIDs. There's no reason other than a shoddy software implementation that the reader can't say "Well, the app I want to engage with isn't on card 1, so I'll query card 2..."

Such BS. The ISO-14443A protocol that the Mifare chips in these cards are based on gives each card a unique ID (this UID is akin to an Ethernet interface's MAC address) and provides a way to identify multiple cards in the read field and query them independently using their UIDs. There's no reason other than a shoddy software implementation that the reader can't say "Well, the app I want to engage with isn't on card 1, so I'll query card 2..."
The apps on both cards are probably very similar if not the same since PRESTO and London Transit both chose Scheidt & Bachmann as a vendor. The card reader was probably trying to query my student card thinking that it was a PRESTO card when it wasn't. The software on the readers on London Transit is exactly the same as the ones on OC Transpo. Anyways, this probably belongs in the PRESTO discussion thread.

However, PRESTO TICKETS will be available.

From link.

PRESTO Tickets
One-ride, two-ride and day pass PRESTO Tickets are available at all TTC subway stations. You can also purchase PRESTO Tickets at all Shoppers Drug Mart locations in Toronto.​
PRESTO Tickets are great for people who don't use the TTC regularly, or visitors to the city. Each person over the age of 12 is required to have their own PRESTO Ticket. This also applies to the day pass PRESTO Ticket. A group/family day pass PRESTO Ticket is not available.​

PRESTO Tickets
Cost
One-ride​
$3.25​
Two-ride​
$6.50​
Day pass​
$13.00​

• Note: PRESTO Tickets expire 90 days after purchase.
  • PRESTO Tickets are eligible for the two-hour transfer
PRESTO cards still provide customers with the lowest fare. You can purchase one for $6 and load it with money or a monthly pass at all stations, any Shoppers Drug Mart location, online at prestocard.ca and at the TTC Customer Service Centre above Davisville Station.​
Using a PRESTO Ticket

You must tap your PRESTO Ticket every time you enter a subway station and whenever you board a bus or streetcar. Your tapped PRESTO Ticket is your Proof-of-Payment. You must keep it with you while travelling on the system and be prepared to show it to a TTC fare inspector upon request. Once your fare(s) have been used and your transfer or day pass has expired, you must purchase another ticket or pay by cash. PRESTO Tickets are not reloadable. PRESTO Tickets can only be used to pay your fare on the TTC. They are not accepted on any of the other transit agencies that use PRESTO.​
Visit the FAQ page for more information.​
For seniors and students, you should use the PRESTO card to get the discount.
With the current system, I don't think there is a way to tell when you start using the 2nd ride of your 2-ride ticket oppose to using a transfer from the first ticket. This is such a downfall as ticket users are not likely used by regular riders and would have difficult checking their ticket status.

Presto tickets don't give a discount and wouldn't be the equivalent to tokens. I don't expect them to pick up in sales as occasional riders will keep paying cash on buses while frequent riders will definitely use presto card for their 2 hour transfer. They would only be popular at subway stations as there is no way to pay cash to a collector anymore. At busy stations, I expect a lot more people will likely just take the bus for a stop and pay to the driver than lining up to those machines.

I wonder if they should just replace the fare vending machines on streetcars with a ticket vending machines and have the rider tap the reader instead of issuing a POP receipt. However I don't think this will fly as they'll forget to reload them!

With the current system, I don't think there is a way to tell when you start using the 2nd ride of your 2-ride ticket oppose to using a transfer from the first ticket. ...

PRESTO_Hero1.jpg

From link.

Needs to be taped to record the information on the PRESTO ticket and activate it. Just tap for transferring. The 2nd ride is possible based on that information for later in the day.

TTC putting more electric buses on the road

October 25, 2019

Tomorrow, the TTC will be increasing the number of all-electric buses (eBuses) it has in service and expanding eBus charging infrastructure to a second location, the Mount Dennis Bus Garage.

Vehicles from Proterra Inc., one of three companies manufacturing all-electric buses for the TTC, will be based exclusively out of Mount Dennis. The first route with the Proterra buses will be 6 Bay.

The TTC purchased 60 all-electric buses from three manufacturers: 25 from Proterra Inc., 25 from New Flyer Industries Inc. and 10 from BYD Canada Co. Ltd. The TTC's complete complement of electric buses, scheduled to arrive in full by the first quarter of 2020, will make up one of the largest mini-fleets of electric buses in North America.

The TTC's Arrow Road Bus Division was the first TTC location to be outfitted with the leading-edge charging technology and the TTC's Eglinton Garage will follow later this year. Ten New Flyer eBuses are already in service, operating out of the Arrow Road Bus Division and nine additional Proterra vehicles will enter service in the coming weeks as each completes testing and commissioning.

"Our city is committed to tackling climate change with meaningful action," said Mayor John Tory. "Investing in electric buses is one of the many ways Toronto is working to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions while improving our transit system."

"The TTC continues to plan for climate change and work towards a 100 per cent zero emissions fleet by 2040," said TTC Chair Jaye Robinson. "We're very excited to be making headway and moving forward with this important project."

The electrification of vehicles is a key component of the City's TransformTO climate action strategy, which targets an 80 per cent reduction in local greenhouse gas emissions by 2050. To meet that target, 100 per cent of vehicles in Toronto must transition to low-carbon energy by 2050. The electrification of buses demonstrates the City's commitment to lead by example. Vehicles generate about one-third of the emissions in Toronto today. The TTC's new eBuses operate on truly green propulsion technology with zero tailpipe emissions.

The Government of Canada and the City of Toronto are investing $140 million in this project under federal Public Transit Infrastructure Fund (PTIF). The money is being used for these electric buses and to begin laying the infrastructure for future expansion of the TTC's zero-emissions fleet. This fund is helping keep Torontonians moving through investments in the repair, modernization and expansion of the city's transit and active transportation networks. In total, up to $1.8 billion is being invested in Toronto through PTIF, which was launched on August 23, 2016.

Back