News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

You have clearly not been paying attention. Metrolinx are VERY well know for assuming they know everything and NOT consulting with stakeholders etc. I bet there were, at least, some mid-level conversations but REAL consultations (with open minds) is not the ML way. Of course, at the end of the day, City Council has authority over the TTC and its routes etc but I doubt they will care to get involved in details and fight with ML. That said, the ML plan sounds fairly sensible IF Queen must be closed at all.
Whatever I don't think this is worth my time trying to argue about this.

See Post 12334 ABOVE AND THE SUBSEQUENT COMMENTS:

Toronto made the list.

The Hidden Melodies of Subways Around the World

Reading the comments (on the NYT) is always an interesting way to see the take of people from different places and walks of life on things......

In the context of the link above:

Prestwick
AustraliaAug. 13
A lot of these chimes invoke not nostaligia but anxiety, or ennui at least. London's chime is an intense, insistent prod to get moving. The Toronto Transit Comission's three-note chime is not unlike the first three notes of the Mork and Mindy theme song. Every time I ride underneath the city of Toronto I end up with that theme stuck in my head.

and

Jonathan
Windsor, ONAug. 14
@slider wrote: The Toronto door chime coincides with the first three notes of The Star-Spangled Banner--- " O O say..." I think it's important to cross-reference Carolyn of Chicago's suggestion: The Toronto subway's arpeggio always makes me think of the opening bars of the Sesame Street theme: "Sun-ny day..." I'll go with that one :)

I had to go back and listen to the Mork and Mindy theme........I don't get the association there, to my ear.

But I do understand the 'Sunny Day' reference.

They'll find other ways to enter.

We need platform edge doors anyways.

They are proven-tech; they do greatly reduce suicides;, virtually eliminate accidentally falling/being trapped on the tracks, and also cut back on litter/debris on the tracks and resultant fires. They also largely preclude people from accidentally dropping anything on the tracks saving a lot of people (and the TTC a hassle.

A worthwhile investment does lots of good things, including improving public safety and service reliability.

No system is impenetrable to the determined; that doesn''t make the doors a bad idea.

We need platform edge doors anyways.

They are proven-tech; they do greatly reduce suicides;, virtually eliminate accidentally falling/being trapped on the tracks, and also cut back on litter/debris on the tracks and resultant fires. They also largely preclude people from accidentally dropping anything on the tracks saving a lot of people (and the TTC a hassle.

A worthwhile investment does lots of good things, including improving public safety and service reliability.

No system is impenetrable to the determined; that doesn''t make the doors a bad idea.
Platform edge doors are certainly NOT a bad idea BUT are they the first 'idea' we should be spending $$$ on? I suggest there are other more pressing needs though I see no reason why we always talk about doors as being an all-or-nothing situation. They are, surely, much more useful at busy stations where being pushed or falling on the tracks is sometimes a real possibility due to crowding. Why not a demo project of one or two stations??

Platform edge doors are certainly NOT a bad idea BUT are they the first 'idea' we should be spending $$$ on? I suggest there are other more pressing needs though I see no reason why we always talk about doors as being an all-or-nothing situation. They are, surely, much more useful at busy stations where being pushed or falling on the tracks is sometimes a real possibility due to crowding. Why not a demo project of one or two stations??

There are a dozen or so stations that are associated with a lot of what I mentioned above.
They would yield the greatest return.

But you want ATC in place, so that means Line 2 Stations would have to wait.

Sheppard was built w/these doors in mind and I imagine the stations on the TYSSE were as well, so they should be low-cost re-fits.

At Yonge-Bloor I think they should be tied into the 1.5B reno set to occur, where the cost would hardly be a rounding error on that budget.
Though in the case of Y-B I strongly favour extending air conditioning to the platform levels at the same time. I had a friend who was heading home via subway late the other night and reported that Y-B, was overcrowded and in the heat people were feeling feint. Makes sense to me in stations low-ceilings and less capacity that experience crowding to add A/C.

In terms of R.O.I, I think the investment in strategic stations would yields a fare bit of additional service, with no additional trains, a fairly worthwhile investment.
That does go down when you get to less beneficial stations, though it there are advantages in finishing entire lines in one go.

Last edited:

Back